If McDermott is such a great X's and O's coach....

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Except they play like they don't have their head in their ***. He has a better class coming in next year.

Go root for them then. I think their team looks like crap and has no athletes. They've also suffered major player attrition.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
So what is the issue KG since it's not coaching? Why does McD. having a losing record overall in his four years and has underachieved year after year? Please don't go down the road that he has bad luck or he only has x amount of players...that doesn't cut it. This team on week to week basis doesn't improve and that falls on the coach.

What if this were true? What if through not fault of his own the bball gods are against him? Isn't that still a reason to part ways? I'm not sure it's a good idea to keep a coach who has been so dogged by player defections (and sraight up quitters) sick players, absent players etc.

If next season looks basically the same as this season isn't the AD going to have to go in another direction, for everyone's sake?

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
Go root for them then. I think their team looks like crap and has no athletes. They've also suffered major player attrition.

We have athletes and look like crap. Either way crap is crap. The differnce is Iowa is playing better as the year goes on with no athletes as you point out. Over almost 4 years we get worse as the year goes on with athletes.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wrong, you could end up with a coach like Lick who gets zero recruits and is playing his own boy who is severly outmatched.

Do not trot out wins in big 10 v big 12 either.

Iowa's program is in considerably worse shape than us.

The only way Iowa's program is worse than ours is in the fan support. That is it, IMO.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
It was, but it's how Missouri plays...You have to keep the ball in the middle of the floor...Makes it look choppy. Needed the game to be like that to have a chance.
KG, you and Cystud need to vacate this thread. You are way too positive.:yes:

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I never said the guys didn't battle. I expected this game to be a lot more out of hand. I'm just talking and focusing on that last minute and a half here. Why does a coach that supposedly likes to run a lot of set plays not have one that ready at crunch time? Or, was his play just to waste time and then chuck up a three? Honestly that wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe GMAC was going for the element of surprise. Mizzou was expecting us to come out and run a set play but instead he tried to mess with their heads with the play GMAC calls "Chaos". We seem to run that play A LOT!!

cystud

Apr 15, 2006
Your post couldn't be more wrong, sorry. 1) I'm not personally attacking anyone, just pointing out the facts.

2) How do you know how much basketball I know? Sounds like you are personally attacking me there.

3) If he called a play, it sure doesn't seem like his play fit well with the guys he had out there on the floor. It all goes back to the fact that McD is horrible about making adjustments. If his guys aren't tough enough, then that too is just him bringing the wrong people into the program, isn't it?

4) Frankly, I think any coach could ocme in here next year and produce a 3 win conference season which is exactly what McD is going to do. Here a novel idea, maybe a new coach would actually keep the current players on the team and the recruits. Just because McD didn't doesn't mean every guy would.

5) I will not be calling for CPRs head next year if we win 4 games. Now if we go 4 years where it's obvious that players on the team are not getting better, or are being brought in over there heads, and numerous guys keep leaving the football team and we NEVER beat a team that we aren't supposed to, then yes I would be upset. However, from what I saw in one season with CPR, I don't think that is going to happen. CPR seems to inspire his team to player better than they really are. McD seems to do the exact opposite. RECOGNIZE!

The only thing I will agree with you partially on is point number three. I don't know what play he could have ran that would have worked with as soft as our guards have been. Yes, it would be nice if McD would have found an improvement over DG sooner-Colvin looks like he will be that guy and bring toughness- but very, very tough for a true freshman to step in and do that year 1 unless they are at KU or TX.

I firmly believe we need continuity for once here in our BBall program, and I think guys like Colvin, Ejim, and Hamilton can develop the toughness that we are lacking. Throw in a healthy booze and SC and I think we will win way more games with that group next year than blowing everything up and starting over.

At the very least we need another year to see how things shake out. Again, its not like we are Kentucky that can bring in some top name with our situation. Hell if I was a prospective coach/player and read this board I wouldn't want to come here. We ***** about the players, the coaches, the fans, you name it. Things aren't perfect, you don't think McD doesn't know that? Do you think when he recruited SC he envisioned him having to play this many minutes-with mono? Do you think when the staff recruited DG they envisioned his offense not improving over three years?

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
The other thing I don't understand is at the end of the first half. We had the ball with about 52 seconds left. We hold the ball and run down the shot clock. Now they have the ball for the last shot. Why don't we take a shot in the first 10 second of the shot clock? Then we get last shot. A 2 for 1 deal.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
The only thing I will agree with you partially on is point number three. I don't know what play he could have ran that would have worked with as soft as our guards have been. Yes, it would be nice if McD would have found an improvement over DG sooner-Colvin looks like he will be that guy and bring toughness- but very, very tough for a true freshman to step in and do that year 1 unless they are at KU or TX.

I firmly believe we need continuity for once here in our BBall program, and I think guys like Colvin, Ejim, and Hamilton can develop the toughness that we are lacking. Throw in a healthy booze and SC and I think we will win way more games with that group next year than blowing everything up and starting over.

At the very least we need another year to see how things shake out. Again, its not like we are Kentucky that can bring in some top name with our situation. Hell if I was a prospective coach/player and read this board I wouldn't want to come here. We ***** about the players, the coaches, the fans, you name it. Things aren't perfect, you don't think McD doesn't know that? Do you think when he recruited SC he envisioned him having to play this many minutes-with mono? Do you think when the staff recruited DG they envisioned his offense not improving over three years?

Problem is.....is everyone willing to accept 5k attendance a game to be watching the debacle next year.

I think not.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo

So I think we all understand that you don't like McDermott, as 99% of all you previous posts have stated. I think we get the idea, so maybe you don't need to keep personally attacking people that still have hope in our program. Especially those that know more about basketball than you. For all you know McD called a well designed play that should have worked, but we weren't tough enough to implement it and got pushed way outside and never got the play ran. Deep, tough, good defensive teams do that. We needed to be tough enough to adjust and have one our supposed NBA prospects take the ball and finish with the game on the line.

Its obvious that for multiple reasons things haven't clicked on this team. All I can say is be careful what you wish for. ISU isn't going to have "hot" names knocking down our door to get here if you fire McD and clean out all our recruits as well. I actually have some hope for next years team, especially if a combination of colvin/recruits are improved enough that DG only plays 10-15 min per game.

FWIW, I would bet heavily that you will also be calling for CPR's head next year if he only wins 4 games against that ridiculous schedule.

So what do you really think. The incoming recruits will be an improvement and we will be better or are you making excuses for next year that it is tough for freshman to play in the B12.

cystud

Apr 15, 2006
KG, you and Cystud need to vacate this thread. You are way too positive.:yes:

Look, I'm as dissapointed as anybody with how things have gone. I've been critical of the lack of effort in some games (UNI, etc). I can't believe that CB hasn't been more dominant this year. It makes me sick how we aren't tough enough to finish games.

But I get tired of everytime we lose a game having epic meltdowns calling for coaches to be fired, blow up the program, etc. I really hate the guys that claim to have apathy, not care about this team anymore, yet are the first ones on here posting that the sky is falling everytime we lose. I guess its my own fault for spending as much time on this message board as I have.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Its obvious that for multiple reasons things haven't clicked on this team. All I can say is be careful what you wish for. ISU isn't going to have "hot" names knocking down our door to get here if you fire McD and clean out all our recruits as well.

THIS!!!! This right freaking here!!!! THIS IS OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM!!! Fans who would rather not make a change because they are afraid that we can't do any better then the crap we have right now. It's incredible the LOSER mentality that is celebrated by some members of the Cyclone fan base. Our team absolutely SUCKS!!! We have some talent and our coaching goes far beyond subpar. It's awful.

But.... Let's not make a change. Let's not try to improve. Let's just keep losing games at an incredible pace because some fans are just too scared that we can't do any better then GMAC. My God people.... If we can't find a coach that can do any better then this then we may as well just drop men's basketball at ISU. The current state of ISU men's basketball is an absolute disgrace.

Reactions: CyGuy33

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
THIS!!!! This right freaking here!!!! THIS IS OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM!!! Fans who would rather not make a change because they are afraid that we can't do any better then the crap we have right now. It's incredible the LOSER mentality that is celebrated by some members of the Cyclone fan base. Our team absolutely SUCKS!!! We have some talent and our coaching goes far beyond subpar. It's awful.

But.... Let's not make a change. Let's not try to improve. Let's just keep losing games at an incredible pace because some fans are just too scared that we can't do any better then GMAC. My God people.... If we can't find a coach that can do any better then this then we may as well just drop men's basketball at ISU. The current state of ISU men's basketball is an absolute disgrace.

Good post. I know there is a lot of talk about the fans that have "apathy" for the team this year and not caring anymore. Well, I think the fans that don't want a change are the ones that have the true "apathy". Am I for making a change just for kicks and giggles, no. I'm for making a change after watching the past 4 years of basketball with zero improvement.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
If you have already given up on not only this year, but next year as well, go the **** away. You aren't needed as a fan of this program.

I didn't here the sirens.... When did the "truefan" police show up? Denial of the disaster that ISU men's basketball has become has sure made you bitter. Busting a guys chops for allegedly attacking kg and then you turn around and attack him? Interesting.

Maybe you should be the one taking a little break from CF buddy. I have seen more then enough posts out of you attacking anyone whose opinion does not perfectly allign with yours. Take a look in the mirror before you start accusing others of the same things that you do every day.

GMAC apologists make me sick. It's freaking pathetic. Maybe when Pollard sacks up and fires the guy his loyal subjects who put him above the program will all go with him to his next stop. We can only hope. :yes:

cystud

Apr 15, 2006
So what do you really think. The incoming recruits will be an improvement and we will be better or are you making excuses for next year that it is tough for freshman to play in the B12.

Yes-I think the incoming recruits will improve us and give us depth. No I don't think that any of them will step in and immediately play 40 minutes and average double doubles, so is that the excuse you are looking for?

But an improved Colvin at the point, SC, Boozer, Phillips, Oliver, and Ejim competing at the 2 and 3 spots and Hamilton/Dendy/JVB can be successful. No we aren't going to finish in the top 4 of the big 12, but that team can be middle of the pack-which is alot better than we would be if we blew everything up and started over.

Im my mind Colvin has to be the guy to take a big step and be 35 min point guard that can run an offense. His penetration and passing could let our post guys get some easy baskets, and if any of the wing guys can consitently knock down threes and be tough hardnosed consistent players we will be ok. If DG is out there dribbling the ball around in circles for 25 seconds, then we will be SOL.

Colvin is the key. I think we underestimate how huge of a hole our guard play has been. Now we end up with CB taking impossible fadeaway shots because we can't run an offense. Colvin isn't tinsley, but next year he could make everyone around him better.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I didn't here the sirens.... When did the "truefan" police show up? Denial of the disaster that ISU men's basketball has become has sure made you bitter. Busting a guys chops for allegedly attacking kg and then you turn around and attack him? Interesting.

I think you need a reading comprehension refresher. I didn't "bust his chops" for attacking kg, I busted his chops for claiming he didn't attack kg in the very next post after he'd attacked him.

GMAC apologists make me sick. It's freaking pathetic. Maybe when Pollard sacks up and fires the guy his loyal subjects who put him above the program will all go with him to his next stop. We can only hope. :yes:

McDermott haters make me sick. It's freaking pathetic. He's part of the team they say they support, yet they can't do ANYTHING other than attack him or anyone who doesn't confirm to their wishing of his immediate termination.