If McDermott is such a great X's and O's coach....

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
then why with like 80 seconds left and the ball and ISU down by 6 did we not run one of his "hundreds" of plays he has to get off a good shot? Instead they dribbled around, wasted 30 seconds, then threw up a prayer. Why didn't he have he team run one of his many "plays"? What a horrible year. Anyone that watches this team play and thinks that we have the right coach running the show is kidding themselves.

Reactions: cyismydog

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
The last 3 minutes were disturbing. It all went downhill after Craig dunked over 7 Mizzou players. Why in the closing minutes he or Gilstrap aren't getting every touch is beyond me. They can't double both guys. One of them will have single coverage or if the double comes can find the open guy and make a play. Why we decide to dribble around for 28 seconds and throw a panic shot up two times in a row was basically disgraceful.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Chucking threes when it was a one possession game just blew my mind last night. Also, Buckley came in under 10min for DG and we played excellent basketball. Him and CC were getting into the lane and creating shots for themselves and distributing the ball. I thought to myself, "finally we are getting to the lane....getting to the foul line...this is good." Then, wadaya know....he subs in DG.....he dribbles to the corner right after getting accross the midline.....trapped....and a major turnover occurd. WEIRD. Then he kept him in.....Missouri got up again....even 2 possessions.....and here is our answer....CHUCK THREES? Called a timeout....and we end up taking a forced three shot? What the hell was going on in those huddles? LOST the game again Gmac.....lost it. Yeah, that always works for us, chucking threes....(Some nights they go down...but this was not one of those nights...... PS....Buckley was the first one to hit a three.

I am sick of this ****......get this guy out of here at season's end.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I've never heard you once say it was coaching, so it really means nothing.

Kg doesn't always agree with coaching decisions See his posts after UNI game. :wink:
And how can you think coaching cost us this game? We almost beat a deep team with 7 scholarship players, playing a guy that only had d-II offers out of high school for significant stretches of time.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Kg doesn't always agree with coaching decisions See his posts after UNI game. :wink:
And how can you think coaching cost us this game? We almost beat a deep team with 7 scholarship players, playing a guy that only had d-II offers out of high school for significant stretches of time.
I never made a comment on the coaching either way. Just saying kg spends too much time on his knees at the feet of Greg McD to be an impartial observer.

Reactions: Cyclonestate78

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
One has mono:wink:
On the road, with full court pressure all night, guys battled...
Again some people need to get a clue...

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
12-15 boneheaded plays cost us the game. Whether the players were prepared or just lose focus, I don't know. But the combonation of it all adds up to where we are at.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue

I never said the guys didn't battle. I expected this game to be a lot more out of hand. I'm just talking and focusing on that last minute and a half here. Why does a coach that supposedly likes to run a lot of set plays not have one that ready at crunch time? Or, was his play just to waste time and then chuck up a three? Honestly that wouldn't surprise me.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I never said the guys didn't battle. I expected this game to be a lot more out of hand. I'm just talking and focusing on that last minute and a half here. Why does a coach that supposedly likes to run a lot of set plays not have one that ready at crunch time? Or, was his play just to waste time and then chuck up a three? Honestly that wouldn't surprise me.

Shocking with all your insight...I would have thought differently.

Nobody is happy with a loss...I don't see the point of throwing blame around out of frustration. But if it makes you feel better, I say do it.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA

Nobody is happy with a loss...I don't see the point of throwing blame around out of frustration. But if it makes you feel better, I say do it.
Frustration went out the window a month or so ago. So I'm not frustrated, can I blame Greg?

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Don't we have to play with who is avalible, we can not keep saying one has mono, one was gone, one left the team. Ultimatley we have to play with who shows up, and can't make excuses for those who either do not, or are not healthy. Just like the saying you have to play the schedule you are dealt, you also ave to play with the players you have. Last night game was ugly, coaching, execution, defensive rebounding, shooting were all under par. Also, Scott C bless his heart hurt us last night, DB should have played 20 plus minutes, and Scott C the 9 minutes. Mono or not he is hurting this team right now, rest and get better. And I know that means we have one less player, but put him on the bench and use him last, he is slow, can't hit a shot and can't rebound to save his life right now, he has had 3 or 4 really bad games in a row. Also, we had six possesions to take the lead down the stretch only one ended in a Gilstrap or Brackins shot, explain that coaching to me, and som have said Anderson changed defenses to not let those two get the ball, I say a good coach then also makes a change and a NBA type player should be able to get himself the ball, they cannot double both of them every time, if they do we have easy buckets all over the court. It was more than caoching last night, but the coaching down the stretch WAS subpar.

KG please explain how you think it is going to get better, and I do not need to get a lue I played and watch plenty of basketball, I am not a basketball genious, but I am also not a basketball idiot. You almost make it sound like we just should have stayed home as we were detined to lose before we got off the bus.

Reactions: CyGuy33

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
So what is the issue KG since it's not coaching? Why does McD. having a losing record overall in his four years and has underachieved year after year? Please don't go down the road that he has bad luck or he only has x amount of players...that doesn't cut it. This team on week to week basis doesn't improve and that falls on the coach.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue

I'm not throwing blame around out of frustration. I'm throwing blame at the one person who is soley responsible for this mess we call our basketball team. I also notice that you have failed to answer my question, so I'll ask it again. Why does McD not call out one of his many set plays to get at least an average shot there at the end? You seem to think you know a lot about basketball, but now I'm beginning to doubt that.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Don't we have to play with who is avalible, we can not keep saying one has mono, one was gone, one left the team. Ultimatley we have to play with who shows up, and can't make excuses for those who either do not, or are not healthy. Just like the saying you have to play the schedule you are dealt, you also ave to play with the players you have. Last night game was ugly, coaching, execution, defensive rebounding, shooting were all under par. Also, Scott C bless his heart hurt us last night, DB should have played 20 plus minutes, and Scott C the 9 minutes. Mono or not he is hurting this team right now, rest and get better. And I know that means we have one less player, but put him on the bench and use him last, he is slow, can't hit a shot and can't rebound to save his life right now, he has had 3 or 4 really bad games in a row. Also, we had six possesions to take the lead down the stretch only one ended in a Gilstrap or Brackins shot, explain that coaching to me, and som have said Anderson changed defenses to not let those two get the ball, I say a good coach then also makes a change and a NBA type player should be able to get himself the ball, they cannot double both of them every time, if they do we have easy buckets all over the court. It was more than caoching last night, but the coaching down the stretch WAS subpar.

KG please explain how you think it is going to get better, and I do not need to get a lue I played and watch plenty of basketball, I am not a basketball genious, but I am also not a basketball idiot. You almost make it sound like we just should have stayed home as we were detined to lose before we got off the bus.

Do you not see the adversity the team has faced? Nobody's fault, IMO as long as the team doesn't give up...I don't think the fans should either. Players have just as much if not more invested as the fans do. Last night was not a team that has giving up.

Reactions: CyGuy33

cystud

Apr 15, 2006

Agreed. Plenty of reasons not to be happy with the season, but to go on the road with a depleted team and compete was good to see. Regardless of how ugly it was. Are we going to have meltdowns after every game we lose the rest of the year and attack everyone who still sees some positives in this bball program?

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Agreed. Plenty of reasons not to be happy with the season, but to go on the road with a depleted team and compete was good to see. Regardless of how ugly it was. Are we going to have meltdowns after every game we lose the rest of the year and attack everyone who still sees some positives in this bball program?

It was, but it's how Missouri plays...You have to keep the ball in the middle of the floor...Makes it look choppy. Needed the game to be like that to have a chance.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
Do you not see the adversity the team has faced? Nobody's fault, IMO as long as the team doesn't give up...I don't think the fans should either. Players have just as much if not more invested as the fans do. Last night was not a team that has giving up.

I never said the fans or the players gave up, again, I was asking about specifics down the stretch and whether or not out coach made any mistakes. I don't care who was on the court at the end, I just would've thought with as good of coach you seem to think that McD is, we would've been able to get off a slightly better shot and not waste as much time as we did. I realize that to you the sun rises and sets in McD's pants, but I just wonder why you won't take an honest look at things.

Reactions: Cyclonestate78

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron