If McDermott is such a great X's and O's coach....

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Kg doesn't always agree with coaching decisions See his posts after UNI game. :wink:
And how can you think coaching cost us this game? We almost beat a deep team with 7 scholarship players, playing a guy that only had d-II offers out of high school for significant stretches of time.

Using the "prevailing" logic, last night exactly half the coaches in the country were bad coaches. Roy Williams flat out sucks. And Coach K has really sucked about 4 times this year. And Bill Self? Yep - has sucked about 3 times this year.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
Do you not see the adversity the team has faced? Nobody's fault, IMO as long as the team doesn't give up...I don't think the fans should either. Players have just as much if not more invested as the fans do. Last night was not a team that has giving up.

I am still on the fence of what to do, but leaning to a new coach. This is what I don't get. Every team in the country, whether fball, bball, wrestling all face challenges, injuries, adversity. Other programs overcome it, why can't we? I still go back to this stat. Last 3 years 67 of the 73 BCS teams have made postseason play but not Iowa State. Soon to be 4 years. That stat alone says alot.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Do you not see the adversity the team has faced? Nobody's fault, IMO as long as the team doesn't give up...I don't think the fans should either. Players have just as much if not more invested as the fans do. Last night was not a team that has giving up.

Yes I see the adversity, but are we going to put up with it for 5, 10 15 years, eventually it has to stop. Thee players and GMAC do not Connect, why? His system does not seem to work with the playuers he either inherited or recruited, Why? His players leave at an astounding rate, both good bad, and who knows players, Why? His team has no half court offense, Why? His guard play is average at best, Why?

I like the guy, I am sure he is frustrated, but how long do we sit around and be above average in the non-conference, and way below average when it really counts, the conference season.

Adversity is a problem for teams and coaches at times, maybe a year her or a year there, see North Carolina, or Duke, or even Oklahoma this season, but 4 years of the same stuff, when does that start to be a trend and not adversity?

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Yes I see the adversity, but are we going to put up with it for 5, 10 15 years, eventually it has to stop. Thee players and GMAC do not Connect, why? His system does not seem to work with the playuers he either inherited or recruited, Why? His players leave at an astounding rate, both good bad, and who knows players, Why? His team has no half court offense, Why? His guard play is average at best, Why?

I like the guy, I am sure he is frustrated, but how long do we sit around and be above average in the non-conference, and way below average when it really counts, the conference season.

Adversity is a problem for teams and coaches at times, maybe a year her or a year there, see North Carolina, or Duke, or even Oklahoma this season, but 4 years of the same stuff, when does that start to be a trend and not adversity?

You're going to have to be more specific...I understand what you're saying with "doesn't seem" but hard for me to comment unless I know what we are talking about.

One would hope, soon...Hard to believe anything more could happen.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I never said the fans or the players gave up, again, I was asking about specifics down the stretch and whether or not out coach made any mistakes. I don't care who was on the court at the end, I just would've thought with as good of coach you seem to think that McD is, we would've been able to get off a slightly better shot and not waste as much time as we did. I realize that to you the sun rises and sets in McD's pants, but I just wonder why you won't take an honest look at things.

Big mistake late in the game (when it was 1 or 2 possessions still) last night was when we chucked the three ball. It wasn't falling all night. And, we had some nice continuity with Colvin and Buckley....getting into the lane and creating. Colvin got to the line a ton.....that needs to happen more. I believe we went on a little run ourselves after the 8 min mark with DG on the Bench and Buckley in the game. What happened immediatly when DG came in? He got across half-court and got into a trap.....big TO and big layup/dunk by MU. That got them going again. I mean, I understand guys need to be subbed and need a break, but DG did the one thing that a PG should not do, pick up your dribble right after midcourt...right into a trap......right out of checking back into the game. Did he not see what CC and Buck were doing to get success? It was like Gmac said nothing of the sort to him....

Don't get me started on the chucking of threes when the game was tight too. That is where we needed to get CC the ball and into the lane. DG was not doing that....and we stayed out on the perimeter too long..... thus, forcing late shots in the possession Clock....with us chucking a late three. We needed to get in the lane and create. But, Buckley was on the bench.....and DG and Christopherson were not creating.....and they finished the game out. Sometimes you gotta go with WHO IS HOT.... that frustrated me....because we were in a position to win. Coach just doesn't have a killer instinct.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
You're going to have to be more specific...I understand what you're saying with "doesn't seem" but hard for me to comment unless I know what we are talking about.

Again, you praise McD to know end but can't answer a single question when someone wants your thoughts on the problems this team is having. All you do is post excuses for the team and the coach. I find that interesting.

Reactions: GeronimusClone

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue

But if it does I'm sure you will be the first guy out there pointing this out to everyone that it's not McDs fault and the program is on the right path.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
Big mistake late in the game (when it was 1 or 2 possessions still) last night was when we chucked the three ball. It wasn't falling all night. And, we had some nice continuity with Colvin and Buckley....getting into the lane and creating. Colvin got to the line a ton.....that needs to happen more. I believe we went on a little run ourselves after the 8 min mark with DG on the Bench and Buckley in the game. What happened immediatly when DG came in? He got across half-court and got into a trap.....big TO and big layup/dunk by MU. That got them going again. I mean, I understand guys need to be subbed and need a break, but DG did the one thing that a PG should not do, pick up your dribble right after midcourt...right into a trap......right out of checking back into the game. Did he not see what CC and Buck were doing to get success? It was like Gmac said nothing of the sort to him....

Don't get me started on the chucking of threes when the game was tight too. That is where we needed to get CC the ball and into the lane. DG was not doing that....and we stayed out on the perimeter too long..... thus, forcing late shots in the possession Clock....with us chucking a late three. We needed to get in the lane and create. But, Buckley was on the bench.....and DG and Christopherson were not creating.....and they finished the game out. Sometimes you gotta go with WHO IS HOT.... that frustrated me....because we were in a position to win. Coach just doesn't have a killer instinct.

I don't think CC was the answer. 1/9 from the floor. 4/7 FT. 1 assist, 2 TO's. Not exactly worldbeater numbers. DG was 4/10, 0/0, 2 assist, 2 TO's, 1 steal. Our pg play is very weak. 2 pg's with 3 assists between them, should have one with 6/7.

cystud

Apr 15, 2006
I never said the fans or the players gave up, again, I was asking about specifics down the stretch and whether or not out coach made any mistakes. I don't care who was on the court at the end, I just would've thought with as good of coach you seem to think that McD is, we would've been able to get off a slightly better shot and not waste as much time as we did. I realize that to you the sun rises and sets in McD's pants, but I just wonder why you won't take an honest look at things.

So I think we all understand that you don't like McDermott, as 99% of all you previous posts have stated. I think we get the idea, so maybe you don't need to keep personally attacking people that still have hope in our program. Especially those that know more about basketball than you. For all you know McD called a well designed play that should have worked, but we weren't tough enough to implement it and got pushed way outside and never got the play ran. Deep, tough, good defensive teams do that. We needed to be tough enough to adjust and have one our supposed NBA prospects take the ball and finish with the game on the line.

Its obvious that for multiple reasons things haven't clicked on this team. All I can say is be careful what you wish for. ISU isn't going to have "hot" names knocking down our door to get here if you fire McD and clean out all our recruits as well. I actually have some hope for next years team, especially if a combination of colvin/recruits are improved enough that DG only plays 10-15 min per game.

FWIW, I would bet heavily that you will also be calling for CPR's head next year if he only wins 4 games against that ridiculous schedule.

Reactions: oldman

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
So I think we all understand that you don't like McDermott, as 99% of all you previous posts have stated. I think we get the idea, so maybe you don't need to keep personally attacking people that still have hope in our program. Especially those that know more about basketball than you. For all you know McD called a well designed play that should have worked, but we weren't tough enough to implement it and got pushed way outside and never got the play ran. Deep, tough, good defensive teams do that. We needed to be tough enough to adjust and have one our supposed NBA prospects take the ball and finish with the game on the line.

Its obvious that for multiple reasons things haven't clicked on this team. All I can say is be careful what you wish for. ISU isn't going to have "hot" names knocking down our door to get here if you fire McD and clean out all our recruits as well. I actually have some hope for next years team, especially if a combination of colvin/recruits are improved enough that DG only plays 10-15 min per game.

FWIW, I would bet heavily that you will also be calling for CPR's head next year if he only wins 4 games against that ridiculous schedule.

Tough defensive team are tough, I'll give you that. But standing, dribbling in a circle, holding the bball, we made them look like the NBA all defensive team. I don't see how a play could have been called, there was no movement. NONE. Unless we are geting KU, TX recruits next year, the freshman we get don't make an impact in B12 play.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue

Your post couldn't be more wrong, sorry. 1) I'm not personally attacking anyone, just pointing out the facts.

2) How do you know how much basketball I know? Sounds like you are personally attacking me there.

3) If he called a play, it sure doesn't seem like his play fit well with the guys he had out there on the floor. It all goes back to the fact that McD is horrible about making adjustments. If his guys aren't tough enough, then that too is just him bringing the wrong people into the program, isn't it?

4) Frankly, I think any coach could ocme in here next year and produce a 3 win conference season which is exactly what McD is going to do. Here a novel idea, maybe a new coach would actually keep the current players on the team and the recruits. Just because McD didn't doesn't mean every guy would.

5) I will not be calling for CPRs head next year if we win 4 games. Now if we go 4 years where it's obvious that players on the team are not getting better, or are being brought in over there heads, and numerous guys keep leaving the football team and we NEVER beat a team that we aren't supposed to, then yes I would be upset. However, from what I saw in one season with CPR, I don't think that is going to happen. CPR seems to inspire his team to player better than they really are. McD seems to do the exact opposite. RECOGNIZE!

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I like cystuds points.

We won't have any great coaching candidates knocking down our door.

I've seen no other candidate offered that has something tangible to prove they will succeed where Mac has not. For all practical purposes we'll be in the same boat 4 years from now.

I'd rather see what the incoming classes of recruits can do.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
I like cystuds points.

I've seen no other candidate offered that has something tangible to prove they will succeed where Mac has not. For all practical purposes we'll be in the same boat 4 years from now.

So with that logic you would never fire or let go of any coach?

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I like cystuds points.

Why isn't Wayne Morgan still here then?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Your post couldn't be more wrong, sorry. 1) I'm not personally attacking anyone, just pointing out the facts.

********. You are repeatedly attacking kg personally.

4) Frankly, I think any coach could ocme in here next year and produce a 3 win conference season which is exactly what McD is going to do. Here a novel idea, maybe a new coach would actually keep the current players on the team and the recruits. Just because McD didn't doesn't mean every guy would.

If you have already given up on not only this year, but next year as well, go the **** away. You aren't needed as a fan of this program.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Wrong, you could end up with a coach like Lick who gets zero recruits and is playing his own boy who is severly outmatched.

Do not trot out wins in big 10 v big 12 either.

Iowa's program is in considerably worse shape than us.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
********. You are repeatedly attacking kg personally.

If you have already given up on not only this year, but next year as well, go the **** away. You aren't needed as a fan of this program.

Asking questions is personally attacking but telling someone to go the **** away isn't? I'm facing the facts about our team, obviously you aren't. Do I still watch or attend every game and route for them to win despite having such a below average coach, you bet I do. But as a fan do I have the right to come here and complain to other fans who are sick of seeing the same thing for 4 years with no changes made? You better believe it.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Wrong, you could end up with a coach like Lick who gets zero recruits and is playing his own boy who is severly outmatched.

like choosing between two **** sandwiches.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo

Except they play like they don't have their head in their ***. He has a better class coming in next year.