If McDermott is such a great X's and O's coach....

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
bawbie, what were your thoughts on the play of the team at the end of the game? That's why this thread was started, so let's here what you think? Do you think the coach could've called a play or had his guys coached up better to get a better shot then the one they took? Just want to know what you think about the actual game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
THIS!!!! This right freaking here!!!! THIS IS OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM!!! Fans who would rather not make a change because they are afraid that we can't do any better then the crap we have right now. It's incredible the LOSER mentality that is celebrated by some members of the Cyclone fan base. Our team absolutely SUCKS!!! We have some talent and our coaching goes far beyond subpar. It's awful.

But.... Let's not make a change. Let's not try to improve. Let's just keep losing games at an incredible pace because some fans are just too scared that we can't do any better then GMAC. My God people.... If we can't find a coach that can do any better then this then we may as well just drop men's basketball at ISU. The current state of ISU men's basketball is an absolute disgrace.

And I would say that this attitude in your post is our boards biggest problem. Any fan tries to point out any sort of positive or potential positive, and you nutcases just jump all over them, because the only "rational" position is this whole "firebomb the whole thing" approach of yours.

Seriously. Let's get behind this team, and our coach. Whether you think he can get it done or not, that's our guy.

I still believe that these guys can keep up progress. I still believe this man can get the job done, right here at ISU.

Maybe, just maybe, we could try some thoughtful discussions instead of the drama queen crap. Board is going way downhill with this constant stream of garbage.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Problem is.....is everyone willing to accept 5k attendance a game to be watching the debacle next year.

I think not.

There won't be 5k attendence next year.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
And I would say that this attitude in your post is our boards biggest problem. Any fan tries to point out any sort of positive or potential positive, and you nutcases just jump all over them, because the only "rational" position is this whole "firebomb the whole thing" approach of yours.

Seriously. Let's get behind this team, and our coach. Whether you think he can get it done or not, that's our guy.

I still believe that these guys can keep up progress. I still believe this man can get the job done, right here at ISU.

Maybe, just maybe, we could try some thoughtful discussions instead of the drama queen crap. Board is going way downhill with this constant stream of garbage.

CycloneErik, I started this thread to talk about the end of game offense we put out there on the court. What did you think of what happened? What positives or potential or progress do you see out there (I'm asking this honestly not sarcastically, by the way)?

I still watch the games and I still route for ISU to win obviously, but why are we supposed to not want to get better?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WITH COACH MCDUDDYPANTS, THERE WON'T BE 5 FANS, MUCH LESS 5K INATTENDANCE. THAT NEVER HAPPENED WITH THE HILTON MAGIC I REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope jimlad isn't necessary here.

That was a close approximation, but it was too grammatically correct.

cystud

Apr 15, 2006
I didn't here the sirens.... When did the "truefan" police show up? Denial of the disaster that ISU men's basketball has become has sure made you bitter. Busting a guys chops for allegedly attacking kg and then you turn around and attack him? Interesting.

Maybe you should be the one taking a little break from CF buddy. I have seen more then enough posts out of you attacking anyone whose opinion does not perfectly allign with yours. Take a look in the mirror before you start accusing others of the same things that you do every day.

GMAC apologists make me sick. It's freaking pathetic. Maybe when Pollard sacks up and fires the guy his loyal subjects who put him above the program will all go with him to his next stop. We can only hope. :yes:

Ahhh internet drama.... I am not a GMAC apologist, I have concerns about certain things-mainly how we lack toughness and how little DG has improved in 3 yrs. Is the staff responsible for those things? Absolutely. But to attack everyone who doesn't want to blow up the program and start over is pointless.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
CycloneErik, I started this thread to talk about the end of game offense we put out there on the court. What did you think of what happened? What positives or potential or progress do you see out there (I'm asking this honestly not sarcastically, by the way)?

I still watch the games and I still route for ISU to win obviously, but why are we supposed to not want to get better?

Yes, we all want to get better, and we should keep wanting that.

As for the end, English's 3 to put them up 6 blew me away. I didn't expect that to go in. I thought DG panicked taking a wayyy quick 3 ( and none of the words DG or 3 should ever have gone together), and then we made a quick foul that we didn't really need to make. I think we easily could have spent 5 seconds working the ball inside, or getting Coliv or Gilstrap on a drive to the hoop. That's what should have happened.

A lot of the time, it's not the idea, but how it's presented. On this board, we get one TO, and the "Fire McDermott" storm fires up.

That was a close approximation, but it was too grammatically correct.

I meant to change the spelling, but I didn't have it in me this time.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Great post. Again, any thoughts on the end of the game shots we got off?

I agree with all the posts that were made about the end of game possessions (the ones about the actually game and not attacks on the players or coaches).

I didn't have anything different to add so I didn't say anything about it. Is that OK with you?

Do I have to respond to everything?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WITH COACH MCDUDDYPANTS, THERE WON'T BE 5 FANS, MUCH LESS 5K INATTENDANCE. THAT NEVER HAPPENED WITH THE HILTON MAGIC I REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope jimlad isn't necessary here.

The attendence thus far this season has been VERY, VERY good. The crowds are smaller than I would like, but they are loud and supportive. I am very glad that you are the minority in our real fan base (not the message board fan base)

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
Yes, we all want to get better, and we should keep wanting that.

As for the end, English's 3 to put them up 6 blew me away. I didn't expect that to go in. I thought DG panicked taking a wayyy quick 3 ( and none of the words DG or 3 should ever have gone together), and then we made a quick foul that we didn't really need to make. I think we easily could have spent 5 seconds working the ball inside, or getting Coliv or Gilstrap on a drive to the hoop. That's what should have happened.

After English's three pointer ISU came down and wasted 30 seconds of the clock to take a horrible three. My point in my first post in this thread was that I was disappointed in this, and that our coach didn't have a play ready to get us some sort of a descent shot. There was no quick three taken. Even when ISU got the ball back again, there didn't seem to be any sense of urgency to score.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
We had more than dozen good open shots down the stretch that didn't fall. Many of them were in the paint.

Can't hardly blame that on the staff. Mac put them in a position to win. They just didn't execute on the offensive end of the floor.

Also, Scotty hasn't shot for crap since he got mono.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I agree with all the posts that were made about the end of game possessions (the ones about the actually game and not attacks on the players or coaches).

I didn't have anything different to add so I didn't say anything about it. Is that OK with you?

Let's be honest here. You pretty much do respond to everything.:wink:
I actually can see where someone would wonder if you were dodging a question. Not because you were, but just from your prolific responses.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue

From the looks of it you normally like to respond to everything by swearing at the other posters. I was just wondering if you have any thoughts about the actually basketball game and if you thought ISU did all it could have or should have at the end. Obviously you don't which is fine.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
After English's three pointer ISU came down and wasted 30 seconds of the clock to take a horrible three. My point in my first post in this thread was that I was disappointed in this, and that our coach didn't have a play ready to get us some sort of a descent shot. There was no quick three taken. Even when ISU got the ball back again, there didn't seem to be any sense of urgency to score.

WHen the shot went up, it was a hurried shot. I've been up around 17 hours now, so my memory will get fuzzy, no doubt about it.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
Yes-I think the incoming recruits will improve us and give us depth. No I don't think that any of them will step in and immediately play 40 minutes and average double doubles, so is that the excuse you are looking for?

But an improved Colvin at the point, SC, Boozer, Phillips, Oliver, and Ejim competing at the 2 and 3 spots and Hamilton/Dendy/JVB can be successful. No we aren't going to finish in the top 4 of the big 12, but that team can be middle of the pack-which is alot better than we would be if we blew everything up and started over.

Im my mind Colvin has to be the guy to take a big step and be 35 min point guard that can run an offense. His penetration and passing could let our post guys get some easy baskets, and if any of the wing guys can consitently knock down threes and be tough hardnosed consistent players we will be ok. If DG is out there dribbling the ball around in circles for 25 seconds, then we will be SOL.

Colvin is the key. I think we underestimate how huge of a hole our guard play has been. Now we end up with CB taking impossible fadeaway shots because we can't run an offense. Colvin isn't tinsley, but next year he could make everyone around him better.

I am not sure what direction the program should take. I am starting to think new direction. I don't see anyway we win more than 4/5 B12 games next year-no matter what decision is made.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Let's be honest here. You pretty much do respond to everything.:wink:
I actually can see where someone would wonder if you were dodging a question. Not because you were, but just from your prolific responses.

Says the guy with more than 3x as many posts as I do, even though you have been a member half as long as I have. :biggrin:

cystud

Apr 15, 2006

Agree 100%. I used to enjoy coming on here to find out things going on within the program, recuits, analysis, etc. But now its just a bunch of drama queens screaming to fire someone everytime something happens. I think its time to find something more constructive to do with my time.