D Line

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I cannot get over our D-Line right now. It appeared that there weren't a whole lot of guys rotating in and out either, and the guys that are a bit heavier haven't really played a whole lot. I really only saw the starters plus Maggit, and Rump get into the game.

Who else played on Thursday? D-Line is not only a huge concern IMO but it's also an area where you need some depth. We don't appear to be great at this position and we don't appear to have a lot of young talent ready to hit the field. I'm not going to lie, I expected Liang, Maggit, Rumplehamer, and I dunno, somebody like Black or Johnson getting in the mix. We only have four d lineman over 270 and Frere and Rump are the only ones that really play. Hopefully we can redshirt Woods.

Is there anybody out there that can talk me down from the ledge on this one? I honestly just don't know how this team can have continued success this year without huge improvement in this phase of the game.

conmebol

Apr 11, 2006
I cannot get over our D-Line right now. It appeared that there weren't a whole lot of guys rotating in and out either, and the guys that are a bit heavier haven't really played a whole lot. I really only saw the starters plus Maggit, and Rump get into the game.

Who else played on Thursday? D-Line is not only a huge concern IMO but it's also an area where you need some depth. We don't appear to be great at this position and we don't appear to have a lot of young talent ready to hit the field. I'm not going to lie, I expected Liang, Maggit, Rumplehamer, and I dunno, somebody like Black or Johnson getting in the mix. We only have four d lineman over 270 and Frere and Rump are the only ones that really play. Hopefully we can redshirt Woods.

Is there anybody out there that can talk me down from the ledge on this one? I honestly just don't know how this team can have continued success this year without huge improvement in this phase of the game.

jump

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I wish I could talk you down but DL and LB have been a head scratcher for me in terms of recruiting for this team. We have landed some outstanding O-lineman and built what I consider the deepest line in over a decade but I am concerned for next year's defense. We lose all 3 starting LB's, 3 D-lineman and Ja. Smith in the secondary. As I look up and down Rivals/Scout to see who we are recruiting, there are almost no offers out to the positions we desperately need. I expect 6-8 Juco players on D

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I'm 6'2" and near 300 lbs, played center in HS and have 4 years of eligibility left! Put me in coach!

:jimlad:

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA

The lack of rotation on Thursday was a head scratcher to me too. I certainly hope that changes this week because I really felt there was going to be some depth on the D-Line. Granted, not great depth as the line itself is not great but enough to keep guys fresh.

Maybe the defense was keeping the playbook slightly closed as well...

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
What happened to Bailey Johnson? I know last year he was injured and didn't play but I remember him turning a bunch of heads 2 years ago and was someone I was under the impression we'd be building our line around.

Last edited:

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I'll try to talk you back, we gave up one long pass and two long runs, our lbs Smith Garrin and Raven made 30 tackles, we got 4 sacks and coach thinks we played pretty well on d per the call in show last night.

I agree the lack of substitution at d line makes me wonder what magical mystery tour we are on.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I wish I could talk you down but DL and LB have been a head scratcher for me in terms of recruiting for this team. We have landed some outstanding O-lineman and built what I consider the deepest line in over a decade but I am concerned for next year's defense. We lose all 3 starting LB's, 3 D-lineman and Ja. Smith in the secondary. As I look up and down Rivals/Scout to see who we are recruiting, there are almost no offers out to the positions we desperately need. I expect 6-8 Juco players on D

Maybe they're planning on playing a lot of nickel and dime formations next year?

Cylax51

Apr 8, 2009
Lisbon, IA
We got 4 sacks....that's gotta count for something, right?

check the rushing yards allowed and get back to me on how much 4 sacks counts.

Until I saw the UNI game on Saturday I was sure the Dline would cost us the game this week. After watching the rushing game on saturday, I think NDSU might have had a better O-line/RB combo than we are going to see this week.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Our line looked like crap, but Iowa's running backs aren't going to exploit it much. I'm more worried about not getting any pressure on Stanzi. I think Wally is going to have draw up some nice blitzes, like the one where Terran Benton got the sack. We need to blitz to get pressure, but I think that could be ok, because I think we can sacrifice a backer to do that. Our dbacks should match up well against the Hawk receivers.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
This line is no worse than the line from hte last 2 years that has given up a total of 2 offensive TDs to Iowa in 2 years.

I thought the Dline was better than I expected. They aren't great, but I thought got a nice push at times.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Our line looked like crap, but Iowa's running backs aren't going to exploit it much. I'm more worried about not getting any pressure on Stanzi. I think Wally is going to have draw up some nice blitzes, like the one where Terran Benton got the sack. We need to blitz to get pressure, but I think that could be ok, because I think we can sacrifice a backer to do that. Our dbacks should match up well against the Hawk receivers.

No DB matches up well with anyone if the QB has all day.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Stanzi is pretty good when not rushed. Need top pressure him somehow.

ClimbIowa

Aug 14, 2008

That's nice in theory, but those lbs need to be covering Moeaki and if they blitz too much Reisner could be a weapon.

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
I'm 6'2" and near 300 lbs, played center in HS and have 4 years of eligibility left! Put me in coach!

:jimlad:

If this is true, then I guess it's not only Iowa who has fans that never attended the school. (Once you enroll in a 4 year school your eligibility clock starts ticking and you have 5 years to play 4)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron