D Line

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Rob Howe just mentioned on Matt and Miller that something was going on with DJK and it's something to keep an eye on. I guess DJK made some quote after the game about "I didnt come here to come of the bench" or something close to that.

sdcyfan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 12, 2006
Rapid City, SD
Who was the last Defensive Lineman to come to ISU that was highly recruited out of HIGH SCHOOL? I honestly can't think of a single one...

We have had good players---Curvey, Carstens, Tuba (juco), etc. but none of them were highly recruited. The best I could think of was Reggie Hayward and that was 12 years ago...

I know alot of us around here don't give McCarney alot of credit on the recruiting side of things, but I remember Reggie Hayward could have went anywhere in the country and he came to ISU. He was an absolute beast for us.

I think the key for us to have success is developing the recruits that may be LB's in high school and turn them into DE's in college. Another key is the walk on program. Guys like Carstens, Moorhead, and Braaksma were all very solid players for us.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
my prediction is that this year LJ finishes the job by decapitating Moeaki with the biggest hit he's ever seen.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
I watched the game again on Clonezone. It just does not appear to me that we have the horses. Everyone was working, but with limited effectiveness. Parker had the best game of our DL and played pretty well. The DT's had a lot of trouble getting off blocks - got pushed out of gaps too often. Lyle got hooked without good LB support on that side and considerable yardage was surrendered as a result. That looks like the most glaring problem that needs fixing before Saturday. If our D can come up with a couple TO'sk they will have held up their end.

Somebody said once, in a different context perhaps, the best defense is a good offense. The allegedly famous blackshirts of Bugeater (NU) fame gained a lot of their impressive stats as a leading scoring defense sitting on the bench and watching their offense keep the opponent's offense off the field. In my mind it is crucial that ISU score first, dictate the tempo and take excellent care of the football. Looking at the film again, I saw A-Rob run into Reggie a few times when, if he had cut right off his huge caboose, he could have been off to the races. That will get fixed. I really think our O line can hold their own vs the Iowa front 7. And our skill position guys will cause them problems. they pulled Sed's clothes off him a couple times last year trying to keep him from going by them. So, after wringing my hands over this contest, I think we can win on the following:

Our offense is more explosive than theirs and our O-line is equipped to do effective battle up front. We'll do OK on this side of the ball as long as we take care of the ball.

Our kicking game is solid.

Our defense needs to avoid the big play (which the Iowa offense regularly avoids anyhow) and get us a couple turnovers.

If we win the TO stat, we will win this game.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I know alot of us around here don't give McCarney alot of credit on the recruiting side of things, but I remember Reggie Hayward could have went anywhere in the country and he came to ISU. He was an absolute beast for us.

I think the key for us to have success is developing the recruits that may be LB's in high school and turn them into DE's in college. Another key is the walk on program. Guys like Carstens, Moorhead, and Braaksma were all very solid players for us.

Mac was great at coaching the Dline and could make questionable players good. That is one thing the previous staff didnt do well. They dropped the ball on the DLine big time and it will take time to recover from that.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
In KF's doghouse? That's an interesting concept. Since nothing is a big deal I wonder what on earth you have to do to get in KF's doghouse? I think they need him, and I think he'll not only play, but be a key player.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Reggie Hayward couldn't have gone anywhere--because of academics, rather than athleticism or notice. Mac took a chance on him, and it paid off. I was astounded later on when Mac had the gall to mention Reggie among the "lightly recruited" players (like Carstens and Whitver) who had been a success as a Cyclone.

Mac was great at coaching the Dline and could make questionable players good. That is one thing the previous staff didnt do well. They dropped the ball on the DLine big time and it will take time to recover from that.
Actually, we're currently recovering from Mac's last few subpar recruiting classes. Can't put this one on the last staff--especially since they did so well rebuilding the offensive line that was also severely depleted. Oh yeah, Chris Lyle is also one of theirs. :yes:

At this stage, we need better than "solid".

What happened to Bailey Johnson? I know last year he was injured and didn't play but I remember him turning a bunch of heads 2 years ago and was someone I was under the impression we'd be building our line around.
Shane Burnham said earlier (on Clonezone) that Bailey needs to work in the weight room on his agility and flexibility--much as Jerrod Black (who has a "tremendous upper body") needs to work on his technique.

As for why so few people played, I would suspect that nagging injuries might have been a factor.