D Line

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Moeki needs to be stopped. The others we can live with. He is looking like a Dallas Clark. He does not drop the ball.

Our d line will remain undersized for forseeable future. Really needed a big time rush end from juco.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
Patrick Neal played quite a bit, which isn't very reassuring if he is indeed better than a guy like Cleyon Laing. For as bad as the D-Line is this year, next year could be much worse. Hopefully some young guys can step up over the season combined with some JC recruits.

Good to see Parker double his sack total from last year in the first game.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
This line is no worse than the line from hte last 2 years that has given up a total of 2 offensive TDs to Iowa in 2 years.

I thought the Dline was better than I expected. They aren't great, but I thought got a nice push at times.

I disagree. The line two years ago was better, benefiting solely from Tuba. Braacksma was pretty good also.

I do agree that this line can't be worse than last year.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Not sure why we didn't see a lot of new or young faces on defense? We were pretty vanilla in terms of personnel and schemes. Doesn't it make sense to get their feet wet against NDSU?

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
As Paul said, when you look at the film after the game, you're almost never as good or bad as you thought you were. Yes, our defense gave up too many yards on the ground, but if you don't count the two long runs (I know, you should never do that), they only gave up around 2.9 yards per rushing attempt. Plus, they had 4 sacks and only gave up 17 points. As such, I'd say they might have performed a little better than expected last week.

Is that good enough to have the kind of success we are hoping for this season? No. But I wouldn't be walking on any ledges right now. I'll bet you anything that at the end of the year, the defensive statistics will be significantly better than the last couple of years - and, hopefully, that will be just enough to make us bowl eligible this year.

Last edited:

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
This line is no worse than the line from hte last 2 years that has given up a total of 2 offensive TDs to Iowa in 2 years.

Good point. Mostly because Iowa's more traditional offensive system doesn't exploit our weaknesses like most.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I disagree. The line two years ago was better, benefiting solely from Tuba. Braacksma was pretty good also.

I do agree that this line can't be worse than last year.

How do I forget Tuba? Big duh on my behalf.

Point stands with holding SG in check last year with pretty much the same line.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Moeki needs to be stopped. The others we can live with. He is looking like a Dallas Clark. He does not drop the ball.

Our d line will remain undersized for forseeable future. Really needed a big time rush end from juco.

This is my key as well.

ISU's history of keeping track of TEs (or RBs out in the flat) isn't stellar. Didn't do all that great against NDSU either.

And iowa seems to always have good TEs. Moeaki is no exception and one of the better ones.

He may not be a game changer, necessarily. But he's a big target that can keep drives alive with simple 10 yard hitches.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Yeah, Iowa's backs don't scare me too much, as they seem like big, straight ahead runners. They'll get their yards, but not huge chunks.

I disagree a little bit. The Dline will need to hold the trench so Iowas Oline doesn't shed to our LBs and smother them. And our LBs have to be able to shed Iowas Oline quickly.... if those two things don't happen, even Robinson will put up numbers like Greene did last year (decent BUT effective).

We need Iowa to have to double team at least one of our interior line men through out the game for their running plays or it is over folks. As soon as Iowas Oline can handle our Dline one on one, we are in trouble.

Will we get to that point, I dont' think so .... but that is why we play the game.

-keep.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I just have a feeling Moeki may get injured this game. The guy has had a very difficult time staying healthy throughout his career and our secondary can really bring the wood.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I just have a feeling Moeki may get injured this game. The guy has had a very difficult time staying healthy throughout his career and our secondary can really bring the wood.

you may be on to something. Once Sims lays one into Tony... He may think differently about playing ...

-keep

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I disagree a little bit. The Dline will need to hold the trench so Iowas Oline doesn't shed to our LBs and smother them. And our LBs have to be able to shed Iowas Oline quickly.... if those two things don't happen, even Robinson will put up numbers like Greene did last year (decent BUT effective).

We need Iowa to have to double team at least one of our interior line men through out the game for their running plays or it is over folks. As soon as Iowas Oline can handle our Dline one on one, we are in trouble.

Will we get to that point, I dont' think so .... but that is why we play the game.

-keep.

Hopefully the ISU offense will be able to score enough that the Hawk O is forced to pass every down. That will negate the running game and then ISU needs to focus on covering Moeaki all day. He is their beggest and most consistent weapon in the passing game. The other receiving targets don't scare me as much.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
This talk about going Juco heavy on D scares me. If we go juco heavy this year we'll have a slightly better line the next two years...I'm assuming everyone has seen the next two years schedules but if not take a look. We should be preparing for a break out year in 2012. I know some people may groan at that but going juco heavy only to lose them the very year our schedule becomes MUCH more managable seems short sighted. Not to mention if they RS next year we'd have them as experienced players in 12' & 13'..exactly when this program needs to make a significant push.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Get out on top (ISU Offense) early and you'll see that Iowa will play a very different game than if they score first

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Two things.

One, this game might very well show the preparation methods of our coaches (Burnham especially). There is a chance we might take away the flat and force Stanzi to go over the middle.

Second, novel idea, but maybe play five down linemen? Parker, Frere, Johnson, Rump and Lyle to start.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Get out on top (ISU Offense) early and you'll see that Iowa will play a very different game than if they score first

Getting out on top early would be huge; however, easier said than done. EIU never defers. That means they will have the ball first and from watching EIU football in recent years they seem to almost always come away with a touchdown or field goal on their first possession. Every team sets mini-goals for the game. If I were PR a mini-goal would be to stop EIU with no points on that first drive.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Two things.

One, this game might very well show the preparation methods of our coaches (Burnham especially). There is a chance we might take away the flat and force Stanzi to go over the middle.

Second, novel idea, but maybe play five down linemen? Parker, Frere, Johnson, Rump and Lyle to start.

That would be a nightmare for ISU. The ISU LB's aren't know for their coverage skills (Smith especially). Sims is ok, but the other safety is a bit iffy. If I'm ISU I'm trying to force Iowa to throw it outside towards my playmaking CB's.

Reactions: ajk4st8

Help Support Us

Become a patron