isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Do you know what I tell my oldest boy is being pestered by his little brother?

Ignore him.

That's what we should do to our "little brother".

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Guys, these arguments are circular and pointless. Hawk fans provide some much-needed balance for us Cyclones - and nobody has to read the In-State Rivals forum. That's part of the reason it was taken off of the front page, is so that people could avoid it if they wanted. If you have problems with all of this or with a certain poster, please contact the mods.

Let's just please all be nice to each other.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Honestly, while it annoys me when Hawk fans start threads ABOUT Iowa, if you'd sit back and read the posts at face value, they often provide input we wouldn't see otherwise. There is a worse troll problem on our side. People who rise from the internet ether to whine about athletics' policies, or coaches, or whatever, are way worse than the Hawk stuff I've seen on this board. As Cyclone fans, we owe it to ourselves to not be "sunshine-up-your-butts" optimists, and if you'd look at some things more objectively, I think you'd see it's not as bad a problem as you think.

Reactions: Angie and isucyfan

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Honestly, while it annoys me when Hawk fans start threads ABOUT Iowa, if you'd sit back and read the posts at face value, they often provide input we wouldn't see otherwise. There is a worse troll problem on our side. People who rise from the internet ether to whine about athletics' policies, or coaches, or whatever, are way worse than the Hawk stuff I've seen on this board. As Cyclone fans, we owe it to ourselves to not be "sunshine-up-your-butts" optimists, and if you'd look at some things more objectively, I think you'd see it's not as bad a problem as you think.

Agreed. Some people just aren't satisfied unless they have something to complain about. And now that the Hawk related threads are off the main page, the battle cry has shifted to "LET'S JUST GET RID OF ALL HAWK FANS!"

Seriously, I have seen far more disrespectful posts by ISU fans towards ISU athletics (or certain figureheads within the athletic department) than I've seen Iowa fans towards ISU.

ST8BRN

Nov 17, 2006
Pioneer, IA
Guys, these arguments are circular and pointless. Hawk fans provide some much-needed balance for us Cyclones - and nobody has to read the In-State Rivals forum. That's part of the reason it was taken off of the front page, is so that people could avoid it if they wanted. If you have problems with all of this or with a certain poster, please contact the mods.

I don't think anyone has a problem w/what happens in the "In-State Rivals" forum, but the problem is when Hawk fans spill into the ISU Football (or other sports) forums and start urination matches in those forums. That stuff is expected in the In-State Rivals forum. It might as well be labeled the Smack Forum. It's when Cyclone fans are trying to talk about Cyclone athletics and they feel the need to stick their nose in that gets people annoyed.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Not the same. Iowa is coming off of a 9-4 season, ISU is coming off of a 2-10 season. Saying Iowa will go 6-6 is like an Iowa fan saying, "PR should win COY the year if ISU goes 3-9."

I agree, there is a troll problem here. But seriously folks, it's a message board. If you get your panties in a bunch every time somebody is immature, then I'd hate to know what your life is like.

Also, some people seem to be just looking for e-drama, which is sad and lame in its own way.
No, thinking Iowa will go 3-9 is illogical. Again, you struggle with recognizing the importance of fan allegiance. Let me explain in simple terms. Message boards in July are about speculation. There are many logical possibilities; some positive, and some negative. If a poster has documented they exclusively speculate on the negative while also having an allegiance with a rival team, it is trolling (whether the poster is aware of it or not). To some it is considered humorous to read the works of a poster who cannot see the bias infiltrating their thoughts; others find it condescending.
If you think discussion and disagreements on a message board is getting "panties in a bunch"...well I will defer to you on this subject. Yes Split, looking for e-drama is sad and lame.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I don't think anyone has a problem w/what happens in the "In-State Rivals" forum, but the problem is when Hawk fans spill into the ISU Football (or other sports) forums and start urination matches in those forums. That stuff is expected in the In-State Rivals forum. It might as well be labeled the Smack Forum. It's when Cyclone fans are trying to talk about Cyclone athletics and they feel the need to stick their nose in that gets people annoyed.

We do want to avoid the rivalry being mentioned in other threads. Please make sure to report posts of this sort - by fans of BOTH schools - to the mod team when you see them. That way we can avoid having the spillover (except for at obvious times, like rivalry weeks).

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD

Think about it this way: if a poster ONLY posts on Cyclone topics, and never mentions the Hawks, even though they're a Hawkeye fan, would you even know the difference? Try to look at each post, or each thread as a separate entity. I think you'll find they really aren't as negative as many people seem to believe. Most of the time, what I see is a Hawk fan give an opinion, followed by some ISU fan going, "Oh, well you just say that cause you're a Hawk, and you suck," and the mud-slinging is on.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

This.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

Hmm... perspective. Is offering only the same extreme regardless of issue really considered perspective?
You are right; no one has to read the In-State forum. Given this stance of free-will, has the number of hits decreased since it was taken off the front page? If so, what would that indicate? If the discussions in the In-State forums have continued elsewhere, combined with the decision by many to avoid the In-State forum, are there any conclusions to be made?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Think about it this way: if a poster ONLY posts on Cyclone topics, and never mentions the Hawks, even though they're a Hawkeye fan, would you even know the difference? Try to look at each post, or each thread as a separate entity. I think you'll find they really aren't as negative as many people seem to believe. Most of the time, what I see is a Hawk fan give an opinion, followed by some ISU fan going, "Oh, well you just say that cause you're a Hawk, and you suck," and the mud-slinging is on.
When posters claim to be offering a neutral perspective, take a quick look at their post history. Simple disagreements in logic/opinion can be extracted from those with bias and agendas.

ST8BRN

Nov 17, 2006
Pioneer, IA

I'm not a real frequent poster, but I've watched this board alot. What I see, are a select few Hawk posters who just wander into ISU threads and then just **** on everyone. There are quite a few Hawk posters on this board who are fine and provide balance and insight, but there are some that just can't help themselves from making snide, arrogant, or rude comments in threads that had nothing to do w/the Hawks AT ALL. After a while I can really understand why some posters get fed up w/this and just want them gone. What you described happens, don't get me wrong, but there is a trend on this site of certain Hawk posters just clogging up non-Hawkeye threads and bringing these fights on themselves. The worst part of it is that they're allowed to keep doing it, and ISU fans are the ones in trouble for responding (albeit sometimes inappropriately) and trying to put an end to it.

Reactions: dosry5

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
To an extent. Without a select few Hawk fans, crap never gets started.

If you have an oil leak, you don't just keep adding oil (suspending certain people) as a secondary fix. You replace whatever needs to be replaced to fix the leak (permanent bans).

The solution is actually simpler. Take the trolls -- like southernhawk or whatever his name is, the various DJK's, tarheadhawk, nitwit, etc. Don't ban them -- just restrict them to the in-state rivals section. That way they can still rack up their hundreds or thousands of posts but it keeps them from coming into ISU FB and ISU BB threads with their snide and arrogant comments and their smug backhanded insults thinly veiled as compliments .

tyrelrobert

Oct 18, 2006
West Des Moines,IA
I'm not a real frequent poster, but I've watched this board alot. What I see, are a select few Hawk posters who just wander into ISU threads and then just **** on everyone. There are quite a few Hawk posters on this board who are fine and provide balance and insight, but there are some that just can't help themselves from making snide, arrogant, or rude comments in threads that had nothing to do w/the Hawks AT ALL. After a while I can really understand why some posters get fed up w/this and just want them gone. What you described happens, don't get me wrong, but there is a trend on this site of certain Hawk posters just clogging up non-Hawkeye threads and bringing these fights on themselves. The worst part of it is that they're allowed to keep doing it, and ISU fans are the ones in trouble for responding (albeit sometimes inappropriately) and trying to put an end to it.

+1

And as a side note to the posters who complain that the cyclone fans complaining about the hawk fans is just as annoying.... if there were no hawk trolls to complain about, then that wouldn't be a problem would it??

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
+1

And as a side note to the posters who complain that the cyclone fans complaining about the hawk fans is just as annoying.... if there were no hawk trolls to complain about, then that wouldn't be a problem would it??

mind numbingly simple, isn't it?