superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
The solution is actually simpler. Take the trolls -- like southernhawk or whatever his name is, the various DJK's, tarheadhawk, nitwit, etc. Don't ban them -- just restrict them to the in-state rivals section. That way they can still rack up their hundreds or thousands of posts but it keeps them from coming into ISU FB and ISU BB threads with their snide and arrogant comments and their smug backhanded insults thinly veiled as compliments .
You must not have a mirror.

Anyways, I feel like the board has lost a lot just in the few days since "In-state Rivals" was taken off of the front page.

It is funny, people moaned loudly enough and they removed in-state rivals from the front page, now they've moved on to complaining about Hawk comments in Cyclone related threads.

Maybe Jeremy should change his code so HAWKS is a filtered word. Would that make a difference to these members that can't handle the word posted in any threads?

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I'm not a real frequent poster, but I've watched this board alot. What I see, are a select few Hawk posters who just wander into ISU threads and then just **** on everyone. There are quite a few Hawk posters on this board who are fine and provide balance and insight, but there are some that just can't help themselves from making snide, arrogant, or rude comments in threads that had nothing to do w/the Hawks AT ALL. After a while I can really understand why some posters get fed up w/this and just want them gone. What you described happens, don't get me wrong, but there is a trend on this site of certain Hawk posters just clogging up non-Hawkeye threads and bringing these fights on themselves. The worst part of it is that they're allowed to keep doing it, and ISU fans are the ones in trouble for responding (albeit sometimes inappropriately) and trying to put an end to it.
FWIW, eons ago, on the old Rivals.com board like CF now, a free board, it was a problem then. Almost exactly like you say now.

The Rivalry board was started specifically to provide a place for Hawk fans to provide their input. If they wanted to comment on a post on the main board, they were to link to it there. That Rivalry board was actually outstanding for quite a long time after that. Many (not all) Cyclone fans would go there to see what was being discussed. And it was a far more reasonable discussion than the comparable site on the Hawkeye Rivals.com site (not even close). It caused some hurt feelings, at first at least, but I liked it. You also had a definite rule for telling people where to take things.

IMO, in fact, that site went downhill when the pay board was started, and that rule was no longer enforced. Without a doubt the chain of events after that surely helped drive traffic to this site. I stopped posting because I got tired of having to respond to Squawk fan smack (of whatever degree) - even in response to simple article links.

I, too, got tired of responding to it, instead of having a decent discussion among Cyclone fans. Everyone's time is limited. It doesn't much affect me now, and I'm a little indifferent, because I read so few threads. But if I did, I imagine my opinion would be like it was before. Like many Cyclones here.

Reactions: ripvdub

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
. . .

It is funny, people moaned loudly enough and they removed in-state rivals from the front page, now they've moved on to complaining about Hawk comments in Cyclone related threads. . . .
Again, I don't read enough to know. But one possibility is that moving it off the front page inadvertantly encourages more such discussion on the main boards.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
You must not have a mirror.

Anyways, I feel like the board has lost a lot just in the few days since "In-state Rivals" was taken off of the front page.

It is funny, people moaned loudly enough and they removed in-state rivals from the front page, now they've moved on to complaining about Hawk comments in Cyclone related threads.

Maybe Jeremy should change his code so HAWKS is a filtered word. Would that make a difference to these members that can't handle the word posted in any threads?

Personally, I don't think the site has lost a thing by moving the In-State rival threads off the front page. The site is back pretty much to what it started as...a place for Cyclone fans to get together and talk about things related to Iowa State. I hope it stays this way. I may be wrong, but I am sure there are many others who feel the same way.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Again, I don't read enough to know. But one possibility is that moving it off the front page inadvertantly encourages more such discussion on the main boards.

Why should Iowa talk be on the main boards at all?

We have visitors to this site from UNI, Drake, Nebraska, Kansas, Baylor, Missouri, and many other teams we play. They post about their team and our game against them in the appropriate forums and threads. That's why we have an in-state rivals forum and a Big XII forum. But for some reason, trolls like southernhawk, tarheadhawk, nitwit, and the various DJK's feel the need to take their smug and arrogant comments to every thread in every forum we have. For example, if there is a thread in the FB forum about Arnaud vs. Tiller, one of those listed above will usually show up within an hour (if not minutes) and inject some nonsense about how Christensen -- oops I mean Stanzi -- oops I mean their next backup QB is better. You don't see Texas fans jumping in and smugly posting about how Colt McCoy is better than Arnaud or Tiller. If they did, they'd be limited to the Big XII forum. And we need to do the same thing with the in-state rivals forum.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Just do what I did. If you can't stand the hawk trolls just block them. I blocked 29 of them in 1 afternoon and my level of satisfaction being a member of this board has gone up dramatically. The Instate Rivals Forum being removed from the front page has certainly helped as well. Ignoring them is the best solution and it is working for me quite well. I suggest to anyone that is fed up with them to just put them on ignore. If you see them post any flame comments outside of the rivals forem then be sure to report it. This will aid in them getting the boot and make this board even better.

Last edited:

balken

Apr 14, 2006
Less quit crying... What the heck does that mean.

I think it means that Michigan fan is advising ISU fan to quit cying fewer times concerning Iowa fan. Or to put it another way, Michigan fan is advising ISU fan to continue crying more often than previously concerning Iowa fan.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron