Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
I love Zelda but I've stopped buying consoles. I've always been a PC guy but I just can't justfiy buying new systems when I have the rig I do. Would love to get back on the Nintendo train because they're probably still my favorite overall.
There are ways to play Zelda Tears of the Kingdom on PC in 4K and with mods.

Reactions: helechopper

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
There are ways to play Zelda Tears of the Kingdom on PC in 4K and with mods.
Ya I've heard as much. Usually it takes a really powerful machine to emulate something that's already next gen level graphics. I can't afford a $2000 graphics card to make my machine that good, but maybe it's changed in the past years?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Ya I've heard as much. Usually it takes a really powerful machine to emulate something that's already next gen level graphics. I can't afford a $2000 graphics card to make my machine that good, but maybe it's changed in the past years?
Switch is running 2015-ish mobile hardware. It's not terrible to emulate. Recommended GPU is a 1650 or so iirc.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I dont feel like this is just BotW with a shiny coat at all. There is so much to explore and the amount of bosses and bosslike creatures about are far more in depth than BotW. Cracks me up the little details too. Something as silly as a Bokoblin blowing a horn in the "upside down" where the horn sounds terrible as its corrupted. So many more obstacle creatures are strewn about as well. Some brought back from the classic Zeldas. My oldest son is gunning his way to completion and his brother and I are taking the long way around gathering as much gear to become god-like as we can. My daugher is yet to pick it up. Shes still trying to finish BotW, but I dont know how long she can resist.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I dont feel like this is just BotW with a shiny coat at all. There is so much to explore and the amount of bosses and bosslike creatures about are far more in depth than BotW. Cracks me up the little details too. Something as silly as a Bokoblin blowing a horn in the "upside down" where the horn sounds terrible as its corrupted. So many more obstacle creatures are strewn about as well. Some brought back from the classic Zeldas. My oldest son is gunning his way to completion and his brother and I are taking the long way around gathering as much gear to become god-like as we can. My daugher is yet to pick it up. Shes still trying to finish BotW, but I dont know how long she can resist.
That's where I'm at too. They added so many new locations, abilities, techniques, recipes, enemies, interactions, I get why people might look at it and see just a DLC...but I don't. I see a full game standing on it's own feet. The minimap is similar, but the real map contents are much different.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines

FWIW I think it did start its life out as an expansion pack DLC for BotW and the devs decided that it had too much potential as a full fledged game.

I’m probably passing judgement a little too hastily. I need to go back and play it some more as I’ve heard there’s an entirely different map about the size of the Hyrule map underground. I’m just nitpicking at the weapon system which was my least favorite part of BotW… only now it’s “btw ALL the weapons got corrupted now and they suck even more, so have fun sticking rocks onto the end of your sword!”

If it becomes a little more about combining weapons further down the road then I’ll probably change my tune. But I’m not as impressed by the fuse system at the moment.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
FWIW I think it did start its life out as an expansion pack DLC for BotW and the devs decided that it had too much potential as a full fledged game.

I’m probably passing judgement a little too hastily. I need to go back and play it some more as I’ve heard there’s an entirely different map about the size of the Hyrule map underground. I’m just nitpicking at the weapon system which was my least favorite part of BotW… only now it’s “btw ALL the weapons got corrupted now and they suck even more, so have fun sticking rocks onto the end of your sword!”

If it becomes a little more about combining weapons further down the road then I’ll probably change my tune. But I’m not as impressed by the fuse system at the moment.
There’s some great weapons heading your way. Be patient. You’re gonna have a blast.

Reactions: AirWalke

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I haven't played a Zelda game since Link to the Past.
You on the fence, or just pointing out how long these games have been around?

I know this is a hot take, but I didn't care for Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker. Oddly Minish Cap filled the void after ALTTP since I preferred 2D sprites. Felt the same way about Final Fantasy games. Loved FFVI on SNES, didn't touch FFXII until after FFX was out and didn't love it.

Breath of the Wild is a fantastic adventure/puzzle game. I would happily recommend that to people who don't know anything about the Zelda franchise.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
If you get an emulator and want to be legal about it and buy the game, how do you go about that?
There's no 100% legal way to go about it. Nintendo has been nuking emulation tools this past week after Zelda:TotK leaked. Maybe googling "Switch Emulation Reddit" would be a good start, but at some point you're going to have to download the rom.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
You on the fence, or just pointing out how long these games have been around?

I know this is a hot take, but I didn't care for Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker. Oddly Minish Cap filled the void after ALTTP since I preferred 2D sprites. Felt the same way about Final Fantasy games. Loved FFVI on SNES, didn't touch FFXII until after FFX was out and didn't love it.

Breath of the Wild is a fantastic adventure/puzzle game. I would happily recommend that to people who don't know anything about the Zelda franchise.

Not sure if you played A Link Between Worlds, but it’s on 3DS and is fantastic as a 2.5D take on LttP’s overworld.

Reactions: enisthemenace

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines

I should have specified, I’m not impressed by the WEAPON fuse system yet. The building mechanic clearly has some fantastic potential! But as @bos said, it sounds like there are better weapons down the road that will get me to change my tune.

Played a little more today. I remember feeling pretty beat up by BotW early on but enemies so far have been brutal.

Also I launched a Korok with a rocket so that was extremely satisfying.

Early game spoilers:
I have no ******* context behind this enemy so I don’t know what it was, but I had a group of red hands suddenly spawn near me in the overworld and proceeded to wreck the **** out of Link. I had no chance to survive. I haven’t been this shook since the ReDeads in Ocarina of Time.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
C’mon people. I know you’re geeking out on the new Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom release by Nintendo. You’ve had what, 24 hours of play?

What are your thoughts so far. Likes and dislikes.

How does it compare to Breath of the Wild?

Let’s hear it.

Probably not a popular opinion, but I thought BOTW was too hard, too confusing. I probably put 6-7 hours in and quit. Not buying the new one because we got less enjoyment out of the last one than any switch game we’ve bought. Just frustration.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I should have specified, I’m not impressed by the WEAPON fuse system yet. The building mechanic clearly has some fantastic potential! But as @bos said, it sounds like there are better weapons down the road that will get me to change my tune.

Played a little more today. I remember feeling pretty beat up by BotW early on but enemies so far have been brutal.

Also I launched a Korok with a rocket so that was extremely satisfying.

Early game spoilers:
I have no ******* context behind this enemy so I don’t know what it was, but I had a group of red hands suddenly spawn near me in the overworld and proceeded to wreck the **** out of Link. I had no chance to survive. I haven’t been this shook since the ReDeads in Ocarina of Time.
Just wait till you defeat those, it spawns something way cool but also difficult. A second stage of sorts.

Reactions: GMackey32

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron