Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I was really close to buying this over the weekend, I just don't have a lot of free evenings over the next couple months now that HS baseball has started up. I'm sure skipping a game or two of my sons to play a video game would go over like a fart in church with my wife.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Played a little so far. My son really wanted it after we just got done with BotW a few months ago. I almost wished we had waited a bit. The sameness to BotW is making us not want to dive headlong into this one. I'm only halfway through tutorial island and I'm torn about how much I'm going to like the building aspect of the game. I'm sure some of it is just unlearning all the stuff and end game play of BotW, but we'll see.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I would be interested but I hate crafting and building things. Freaking hate it. Whoever added that to my RPGs needs to absolutely get bent.
The only crafting game I've really ever gotten into was Valheim, because there is a point to building something decent (base protection) and it's pretty easy to do. Other than that, I do the absolute minimum possible.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I would be interested but I hate crafting and building things. Freaking hate it. Whoever added that to my RPGs needs to absolutely get bent.
The crafting in here helps you build stronger weapons and complete puzzles. I'm enjoying it as I enjoy the puzzle aspect of it. I haven't gotten too far to really build some epic weapons with it yet but I'm waiting with baited breath.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The crafting in here helps you build stronger weapons and complete puzzles. I'm enjoying it as I enjoy the puzzle aspect of it. I haven't gotten too far to really build some epic weapons with it yet but I'm waiting with baited breath.
I thought I had read the crafting angle could be mostly ignored, with a few exceptions, if you aren't in to that. Has that been your experience?

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I thought I had read the crafting angle could be mostly ignored, with a few exceptions, if you aren't in to that. Has that been your experience?
You can for the most part. There's little side quests where you have to craft. Some of the shrines you have to do minimal crafting to complete them.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I dont feel like this is just BotW with a shiny coat at all. There is so much to explore and the amount of bosses and bosslike creatures about are far more in depth than BotW. Cracks me up the little details too. Something as silly as a Bokoblin blowing a horn in the "upside down" where the horn sounds terrible as its corrupted. So many more obstacle creatures are strewn about as well. Some brought back from the classic Zeldas. My oldest son is gunning his way to completion and his brother and I are taking the long way around gathering as much gear to become god-like as we can. My daugher is yet to pick it up. Shes still trying to finish BotW, but I dont know how long she can resist.

Ocarina to Majoras mask feels like a good comparison to me so far. You’ll definitely see stuff you’ll recognize but as someone who played a ton of BOTW it’s pretty different. Getting the same “what’s over that hill” feeling in exploration, you never know what you’ll run into.

The powers this time feel way more advanced. Some of the stuff I’ve made to solve puzzles I’m worried might be above my youngest’s(7) ability.

Reactions: helechopper and bos

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Ocarina to Majoras mask feels like a good comparison to me so far. You’ll definitely see stuff you’ll recognize but as someone who played a ton of BOTW it’s pretty different. Getting the same “what’s over that hill” feeling in exploration, you never know what you’ll run into.

The powers this time feel way more advanced. Some of the stuff I’ve made to solve puzzles I’m worried might be above my youngest’s(7) ability.
Great comparison!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I am going through BotW right now. I had actually bought it for the Wii U on release day but never got around to playing because my personal life was rough at the time and I had a hard time enjoying much of anything. I finally bought a Switch recently and decided to purchase BotW for it and I am deep into the game now. I have to say it is hands down one of the best games ever made.

My 12 year old daughter has been obsessed with BotW for a while now, so its been fun connecting with her over something that I've been into since I was a kid like Zelda. She has been playing TotK at her moms over the weekend. We've been chatting about it and she absolutely loves it. I will definitely be picking it up as soon as I finish BotW.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I like a good crafting system if it's organic and has reasonable payoffs compared to the effort.

I will say it was interesting to watch how my son and I tackle problems differently. I sometimes don't think to combine items the way he does and vice versa.

Reactions: bos

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I like a good crafting system if it's organic and has reasonable payoffs compared to the effort.

I can't think of the last time I crafted anything in a game. Diablo 2? There was some combining there. If a game has a crafting mechanic I just keep lowering the difficulty if my weapons suck too much. If you make me craft, fish, manage inventory, etc. I'm completely out.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
While I do not have a Switch, I got to view a good amount of it on a streamer I follow. That game really seems to be driving the Switch's hardware to the max.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
How does anyone with young kids play video games? I am asking honestly and sincerely, because I have not found a way that doesn't include blatantly ignoring the kid (2, almost 3 y.o. boy). Looking for any tips and tricks. The only time I can find to do it is after the kid goes to bed, at which point I might, might have an hour in me before my eyelids start to want to collapse in on themselves after a long day. I find myself not wanting to play video games to unwind either, which doesn't help. Much easier for me to sit and watch a show or catch a late NBA game or whatever sport the season is offering. Is my problem that I just don't like video games enough?

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
How does anyone with young kids play video games? I am asking honestly and sincerely, because I have not found a way that doesn't include blatantly ignoring the kid (2, almost 3 y.o. boy). Looking for any tips and tricks. The only time I can find to do it is after the kid goes to bed, at which point I might, might have an hour in me before my eyelids start to want to collapse in on themselves after a long day. I find myself not wanting to play video games to unwind either, which doesn't help. Much easier for me to sit and watch a show or catch a late NBA game or whatever sport the season is offering. Is my problem that I just don't like video games enough?

You’re in a rough age range. In a couple years they’ll come around and it’ll be a lot easier.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Is my problem that I just don't like video games enough?

When your kid gets a little older, they'll go to bed earlier and have a better routine, at which point you can steal some time after they go down for the night, before it gets too late.

As for new games, even ones you love like Zelda, it takes a bit of time to settle in and feel good about playing it. Once you do it's great because you can play for 5 minutes or 5 hours.

But if you just flat-out find running a little pixelated man around fantastical landscapes isn't your thing, that's okay too. Go enjoy something else, guilt free from all of us nerds :)

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
When your kid gets a little older, they'll go to bed earlier and have a better routine, at which point you can steal some time after they go down for the night, before it gets too late.

As for new games, even ones you love like Zelda, it takes a bit of time to settle in and feel good about playing it. Once you do it's great because you can play for 5 minutes or 5 hours.

But if you just flat-out find running a little pixelated man around fantastical landscapes isn't your thing, that's okay too. Go enjoy something else, guilt free from all of us nerds :)
When I had little ones, I just skipped out on new games for a bit. I did find it a good time to replay something I've already completed if I really wanted to play something. Took a lot less headspace since I had already been through the game at least once.