Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
C’mon people. I know you’re geeking out on the new Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom release by Nintendo. You’ve had what, 24 hours of play?

What are your thoughts so far. Likes and dislikes.

How does it compare to Breath of the Wild?

Let’s hear it.

Reactions: Bigman38

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
revenge-of-the-nerds-nerds.gif

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
(Haha) Best game ever, but Zelda: BotW walks shoulder to shoulder with Elden Ring. Both unbelievably fun, just totally different vibes.
I love Zelda but I've stopped buying consoles. I've always been a PC guy but I just can't justfiy buying new systems when I have the rig I do. Would love to get back on the Nintendo train because they're probably still my favorite overall.

Reactions: helechopper

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
C’mon people. I know you’re geeking out on the new Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom release by Nintendo. You’ve had what, 24 hours of play?

Let’s hear it.

Thinking about getting a Switch, or an emulator to play it. Would like to play Breath of the Wild too.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts

Let’s hear it.

So far, I’m hooked. Same open world concept which I like, but enough new stuff to not make it feel ponderously derivative.

Wish it would have been out for the winter rather than heading into summer.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
I hadn't gamed in about 10 years until BOTW brought me back about 3 years ago (was late to that party). TOTK doesn't have quite that magic but it's been a joy so far.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Been playing it all weekend. BotW was the one of the first Zelda games I played, never was interested in them before. Loved it, one of my fave games ever. TotK is scratching that itch again. I do find TotK to be generally more complicated in terms of gameplay and puzzling (which is fine), but I do appreciate some of the quality of life changes they added to make some repetitive tasks easier to do.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
A Link to the Past is always going to be my favorite based on the time in place in my life.

I played the heck out of BOTW when it coincided nicely with me being laid up with a broken leg. Fun fact; broke it on Mother's Day 6 years ago.

Started Tears this morning. So far so good but I'm not far into it. Feels like an extension of BOTW but only a couple hours in the controls and visuals are all I have to base that on and obviously they are very similar. I'm sure some differentiation will come with the story unfolding. I resurrected my Switch to give this game it's due. Luckily I bought a wireless GameCube style controller some time ago because all my regular switch remotes have developed zombie drift in their extended slumber.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I’ve got a friend that said it feels a bit like a DLC for Breath of the Wild. I’ll take it, even if that is the case but hopefully as people get deeper into the game a greater truth will unfold and make TotK its own unique experience.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I’ve got a friend that said it feels a bit like a DLC for Breath of the Wild. I’ll take it, even if that is the case but hopefully as people get deeper into the game a greater truth will unfold and make TotK its own unique experience.
That was one of the critiques I saw from a review. A good game but not anything too different from the last. Not every game has to be a perfect 10 though.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
I love it!! I was stuck on the runway in a plane for an hour. Bets hour delay I've ever had... Just played told and built cool looking stone infused axes!

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Haven’t played a whole lot yet. It feels like someone modded BotW and added a bunch of new story content. I’m tickled that I basically get to play through one of my favorite Zelda games again with an entirely new storyline and set of challenges. But it feels like the cheap way out, especially with 6-7 years in between games.

I would love a mainline Zelda game that has the scope of BotW/TotK but doesn’t have cooking, crafting, and instead just focuses on clever dungeon design (with an actual variety of environments), cool weapons/upgrades, maybe even a path to upgrade those weapons over time.

I do commend Nintendo for making a Zelda that takes inspiration from Western RPG/sandbox design but puts their own stamp on it. Breath of the Wild’s gameplay design was not an easy feat to accomplish but somehow they found a balance.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Still waiting for my copy to arrive.. I am happy to hear people are enjoying it so far (not that there has ever been a bad Zelda game!).

Help Support Us

Become a patron