Zach Guyer ahead of Mahoney right now

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe the offense stalling outside the 30 so often had something to do with that.
Mahoney seems to not kick it down the middler asnd hits the edges. With the new scoreboard and wind vortex we probably need a fieldgoal kicker who hits it straight.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I just wish Mahoney could get his accuracy down cause he seems to have one helluva leg. It seems like when they would warm up Guyer just didn't have the distance on his kicks that Mahoney did. But thats why Rhoads is the coach and not me.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
Just watched the interview, it's good to hear the question/answer about Mahoney went like this.

"Are you starting to see a bit more of the consistency that you're looking for [from Mahoney]?"

"No."

Not that I want Grant to do poorly... it's just that it's good to hear that the coaches aren't saying good things just to ease our minds.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Not to mention the string of MULTIPLE pat's that he missed in the past to seasons. Obviously blocks arent his fault, but shanking that many pat's isnt a good sign. Every time grant kicks I want to think hes going to make it, but a lot of times its a cross your fingers and hope game.

Cytom5

Sep 3, 2010
Ames
im gonna say this is just a motivation thing. this is a message from CPR to Mahoney to get his act together.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Mahoney has been so hit and miss the past 2 years, I can only hope that this means Guyer can make the under 40 yd field goals regularly.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
im gonna say this is just a motivation thing. this is a message from CPR to Mahoney to get his act together.

I think you are right. It's either make it or break it time with him. Mahoney is a lot like Yelk was. They both have the physical stuff, but for some reason have a little bit of head issues with FG's.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Whatever makes the students not cross their fingers when we kick is good enough for me.
As a former kicker myself, I'm not a fan of doing this, and do not do it myself when in the stands.

As for the kicking situation, this football program does not take special teams seriously. They need to start going after some of the best kickers out there than resorting to less than mediocre walk-ons, just to save one scholarship.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
Not to mention the string of MULTIPLE pat's that he missed in the past to seasons. Obviously blocks arent his fault, but shanking that many pat's isnt a good sign. Every time grant kicks I want to think hes going to make it, but a lot of times its a cross your fingers and hope game.

What the **** are you talking about? He's been a solid PAT kicker his entire career, missed 1 PAT last year and was perfect his frosh season 33/33. Knock his FG kicking all you want, but he's been pretty much automatic on PATs when he gets a clean snap/hold.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
As a former kicker myself, I'm not a fan of doing this, and do not do it myself when in the stands.

As for the kicking situation, this football program does not take special teams seriously. They need to start going after some of the best kickers out there than resorting to less than mediocre walk-ons, just to save one scholarship.

I believe both Mahoney and Guyer have been on full-ride scholarships, as is our punter Vanderkamp.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
What the **** are you talking about? He's been a solid PAT kicker his entire career, missed 1 PAT last year and was perfect his frosh season 33/33. Knock his FG kicking all you want, but he's been pretty much automatic on PATs when he gets a clean snap/hold.

You conveniently left out the 2009 season when he had that terrible streak of PAT misses that started with the blocked PAT that lost the game against K-State at Arrowhead. He then missed two in a row to start the KU game the following week. So he missed 3 straight PAT's there. They should be automatic points.

Reactions: CyDude16

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com

There's so much fail in your short post that I'm not even sure where to start. You do know that both Mahoney and Guyer are both on scholarship right? You do know that Mahoney was a fairly highly recruited kicker right? Or are you just complaining because you're butt hurt that no-one recruited you for the kicking spot?

And I'm 100% confident that the staff has evaluated the team, our current skill level in all areas of the game and devoted their time and resources to the appropriate position groups. Or Do you think there are players, coaches, trainers or staff members in the football program that don't give their absolute best every day and cares deeply for the success of this team?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Missing kicks and PATs would be motivation enough for me. But that's just me.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
There's so much fail in your short post that I'm not even sure where to start. You do know that both Mahoney and Guyer are both on scholarship right? You do know that Mahoney was a fairly highly recruited kicker right? Or are you just complaining because you're butt hurt that no-one recruited you for the kicking spot?

And I'm 100% confident that the staff has evaluated the team, our current skill level in all areas of the game and devoted their time and resources to the appropriate position groups. Or Do you think there are players, coaches, trainers or staff members in the football program that don't give their absolute best every day and cares deeply for the success of this team?

Well, if you listen to the coaches during the videos from training camp, the coaches believe they can get more out of the players. So does that mean that you know more about the players' level of effort than the coaches?

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
You conveniently left out the 2009 season when he had that terrible streak of PAT misses that started with the blocked PAT that lost the game against K-State at Arrowhead. He then missed two in a row to start the KU game the following week. So he missed 3 straight PAT's there. They should be automatic points.

yup, he's terrible. 95% for a career is atrocious, nevermind that he had a terrible snap and hold on 2 of his holds. You do know that Mahoney has the second longest streat of made PATs in cyclone history right?

Seriously This is like worrying that a light bulb is burned out during a tsunami. Grant has plenty of struggles to point at but to pick PATs is laughable.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
yup, he's terrible. 95% for a career is atrocious, nevermind that he had a terrible snap and hold on 2 of his holds. You do know that Mahoney has the second longest streat of made PATs in cyclone history right?

Seriously This is like worrying that a light bulb is burned out during a tsunami. Grant has plenty of struggles to point at but to pick PATs is laughable.

Step back from the keyboard. No one said he's terrible....just inconsistent, mainly with the FG kicking.

If you're a family member, you might not want to read message boards as there will be times that people say things you don't want to hear.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron