Zach Guyer ahead of Mahoney right now

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
You know we have cabin fever on CF when we have heated arguments about the future of our kicking game.

The ISU kicking game has cost Iowa State 2 trips to the Big 12 Championship game and has lost us at least 2-3 games over the past few seasons...people should be taking it seriously.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I can't believe you think it is debatable who has a stronger leg. I'm not talking about accuracy, but if there is anything we've learned over the past 3 years it is that Mahoney has a stronger leg.

Perhaps let Mahoney handle kickoffs and give Guyer a chance on the FGs/XPs. Guyer has not been good the few times he has kicked off.

It actually is a debatable.... if it wasnt, why is Guyer making a push?

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
No its actually the truth. Guyer is a better kicker, he just struggled adjusting to kicking off the grass versus a tee.... You can go to bed Tom Kirk.

And RING4cy, Guyer was given a scholarship out of high school.... So fail on your part.
Yeah, I was mixing some players around. Daniel Kuehl is the guy I was trying to think of that was put on scholarship last year.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Didn't Rhoads make the statement last spring that the only sure starter at his position would be Grant Mahoney??

How things have changed.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I am guessing Mahoney is struggling and Rhoads is trying to light a fire under his ***. IF I had to put money down, Mahoney would start game one.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Mahoney's performance last season was unacceptable. I would guess on paper it's the worst single season out of an ISU kicker who took every kick (Brian Jansen doesn't count here) in a decade.

His misses weren't as heartbreaking as Culbertson's, but his over all accuracy was brutal down the stretch. He missed 8 of his last 9 field goals. Come on. Of course Rhoads is looking for someone who is more accurate than that. And most college level kickers are.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
The ISU kicking game has cost Iowa State 2 trips to the Big 12 Championship game and has lost us at least 2-3 games over the past few seasons...people should be taking it seriously.

I would echo this sentiment. Special teams are very important.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
When you have to resort to saying you can make extra f'n points, you're not very good.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Mahoney's performance last season was unacceptable. I would guess on paper it's the worst single season out of an ISU kicker who took every kick (Brian Jansen doesn't count here) in a decade.

His misses weren't as heartbreaking as Culbertson's, but his over all accuracy was brutal down the stretch. He missed 8 of his last 9 field goals. Come on. Of course Rhoads is looking for someone who is more accurate than that. And most college level kickers are.

Missing 8 of his last 9 attempted field goals. I can guarantee that everyone on this board can come within one made field goal of that effort.

Kind of a No-brainer if Guyer has any sort of leg and accuracy. Mahoney is completely mentally out of it, it appears. Missing 8 of the last 9. Uggghhh.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Missing 8 of his last 9 attempted field goals. I can guarantee that everyone on this board can come within one made field goal of that effort.

Kind of a No-brainer if Guyer has any sort of leg and accuracy. Mahoney is completely mentally out of it, it appears. Missing 8 of the last 9. Uggghhh.

I've said this again and again. Our offense was the #1 problem for Mahoney's #'s being bad. Look at his last 7 kicks heading into the Mizzouri game

57 (made)

His average kick was 51.4 yards! No wonder he missed 6 out of 7 and than had no confidence and sucked (yes he was awful) during the Missouri game. But it's hard to put it on him. If Tiger Woods is hitting poor iron shots all tournament long and giving himself 40 foot putts instead of 15 foot putts..... guess what? His putting numbers aren't going to be as good as they usually are. It's not that hard. And when our offense sucks as much as they did last year and leave Mahoney kicking 51.4 yard kicks over and over and over again, his #'s aren't going to be good. And in turn his confidence will be shot.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I've said this again and again. Our offense was the #1 problem for Mahoney's #'s being bad. Look at his last 7 kicks heading into the Mizzouri game

57 (made)

His average kick was 51.4 yards! No wonder he missed 6 out of 7 and than had no confidence and sucked (yes he was awful) during the Missouri game. But it's hard to put it on him. If Tiger Woods is hitting poor iron shots all tournament long and giving himself 40 foot putts instead of 15 foot putts..... guess what? His putting numbers aren't going to be as good as they usually are. It's not that hard. And when our offense sucks as much as they did last year and leave Mahoney kicking 51.4 yard kicks over and over and over again, his #'s aren't going to be good. And in turn his confidence will be shot.

Then we should face reality and not kick them and try to pin the other team back at their goal.

Reactions: CycloneErik

isumills

Dec 18, 2008
Johnston
Then we should face reality and not kick them and try to pin the other team back at their goal.
I agree with this point. Even if the ball goes into the end zone, the other team is starting at the 20 and not the 35 or farther out. 15 yards is a huge deal in the field position game.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Regardless of what happened last year, we need to have the guy with the most accurate leg from 40 and in as the starter. IMO in college having a guy who can consistently hit 40+ is a luxury, but a guy that can consistently hit the closer ones is a necessity.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron