Zach Guyer ahead of Mahoney right now

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I am guessing that is for field goals and kickoffs right? Hopefully it is because of Guyer getting better!

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Mahoney seems like he's either up or down. Not much middle ground with him. He's had moments where he looks like an elite college kicker and other stretches where he doesn't belong in major college football.

Always been intrigued by Guyer and was disappointed he never got a chance during some of Mahoney's struggles the last couple years.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
Can't say I'm particularly surprised that Mahoney is on the edge of losing his starting job. I am, however, intrigued that Guyer is the guy that passed him after 3 years of being behind Mahoney.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Whatever makes the students not cross their fingers when we kick is good enough for me.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Per Paul Rhoads after today's scrimmage:

Coach said that if the first game of the season was tomorrow, Zach Guyer would get the start over Grant Mahoney. More details coming.

Guyer looked better in the one practice video I watched and it surprised me. Hard to believe he would sit for how many years and is now kicking better than Mahoney.

It will be interesting to see how it goes the rest of the year.

Reactions: CyDude16

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City

Coach said that if the first game of the season was tomorrow, Zach Guyer would get the start over Grant Mahoney. More details coming.

Maybe Mahoney missing 8 out of his last 9 field goal attempts last year has something to do with it.

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
Guyer went to my high school and was a stud; I've always gotten the impression that there was not much separation between the two, even though Mahoney has had a slight edge the past 3 years.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

Iowa State either has two kickers or no kicker.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Maybe the offense stalling outside the 30 so often had something to do with that.

Is that an excuse for going 1 out of 9 to close the year? His job is to make field goals...and Rhoads wouldn't trot him out there if he didn't have the range. NO college kicker should miss 8 of 9, even from 50 yards.

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
Maybe the offense stalling outside the 30 so often had something to do with that.

How about missing 27 and 36 yard field goals at home in arguably the most important game of the season against Missouri last year. Were those the offense's fault? His numbers have declined since his soph season. If Rhoads is talking about a change, it must be more than the "offense". I don't care who our kicker is as long as they are dependable and make the kicks that a D1 kicker should make.

Reactions: CyDude16

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA

That would be one thing if he was hitting some of them. We're talking about a guy that went 1/9 over the course of seven games! We've seen him hit some good, long field goals, he just hasn't had the consistency to do what we need him to do. If he seems to be stagnating and somebody else seems to be improving, why not give that guy a shot?

CoachKM

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
How about missing 27 and 36 yard field goals at home in arguably the most important game of the season against Missouri last year. Were those the offense's fault? His numbers have declined since his soph season. If Rhoads is talking about a change, it must be more than the "offense". I don't care who our kicker is as long as they are dependable and make the kicks that a D1 kicker should make.

If I recall, CPR was having a public one on one tutoring session with him after he missed the second kick in that game!

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Here's the quote:

"I have seen it (consistency) from Zach Guyer, which is very encouraging. We talk about the quarterback position and I have emphasized that you want competition at every position to make it better. Zach Guyer in year three is finally pushing Grant Mahoney and at this point, has been more consistent. If I was picking tomorrow, Zach Guyer would be our kicker."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron