Your best Personal Fred Hoiberg Encounter...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
During the alumni game a few years back, I played in the pep band and had him sign my music book. To be honest, the only thing I remember about that game is how good his stroke still looked. He just put all the other guys on the floor to shame. It makes me wonder if he'd show up for practice in the fall and just start raining 3s.

And he hit the game-winner........

Everything seemed right in Cyclone Nation that day.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
When I was in school, I dated one of the cheerleaders and one weekday while the BB team was practicing, I had to run her to Hilton to pick up some stuff she left at the last home game. While we were inside, I felt the urge and had to hit the restroom. I hit a bathroom that was at court level and hopped in one of the stalls. About halfway through the task at hand, I realized there was no toilet paper in my stall. Shortly thereafter, I saw some hi-tops walk in the restroom. This wasn't one of my cleaner experiences I was having so I asked the anonymous hi-tops if there was any toilet paper in the stall next to me. Soon a roll was tossed over the stall door to me. I peeked out the crack of the stall door to verify who this saint of a person was and to my surprise...it was the Mayor himself.

Last edited:

MissouriClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Kansas City Missouri Area
Just left the Hank Williams Jr. concert at Hilton circa. 1991-92. We went the Hunky Dory's and when we walked in I looked up and there was Greg Hester. Couldn't help myself so I started chanting Hester, Hester, Hester. He was with Brian Pearson and Fred. We ended up hanging out with them all night. They came back for a party at our fraternity house.

They were all three great guys.

ZCyclone

Mar 24, 2009
Ames, IA
At the football games this year, I saw Hoiberg and yelled his name. He looked at me and waved. This was repeated for about 3 games, getting a wave every time.

Best. Waves. Ever.

InAWord

Nov 16, 2010
Met him a few times just by growing up in Ames and playing sports. My mom knew his dad pretty well because she worked in the same department at ISU. Nice family.

I do remember one crazy, busy night at 20th Century Bowling where I came in with a group of friends (I graduated from AHS in '92) and Fred was hanging out. We tried to leave him alone, but he knew one of my friends pretty well and Fred made a point of saying 'hi' even though we were trying to let him be out and about in Ames without being mobbed.

I believe it was the same night we bowled next to Pearl Jam. They opened for Smashing Pumpkins and RHCP the next night at Cy Stevens. We had no idea who they were and 'Alive' hadn't even started to play on MTV. The only reason we knew they were even a band is because the manager told me (my dad worked at 20th Century on the machines). They had been trying to keep the lanes around them open, but it was so busy they let us play after he made me promise not to bother them.

Sorry for the weird tangent....

InAWord

Nov 16, 2010
When I was in school, I dated one of the cheerleaders and one weekday while the BB team was practicing, I had to run her to Hilton to pick up some stuff she left at the last home game. While we were inside, I felt the urge and had to hit the restroom. I hit a bathroom that was at court level and hopped in one of the stalls. About halfway through the task at hand, I realized there was no toilet paper in my stall. Shortly thereafter, I saw some hi-tops walk in the restroom. This wasn't one of my cleaner experiences I was having so I asked the anonymous hi-tops if there was any toilet paper in the stall next to me. Soon a roll was tossed over the stall door to me. I peeked out the crack of the stall door to verify who this saint of a person was and to my surprise...it was the Mayor himself.

Classic!

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I haven't met him personally but something he did made a lasting memory on me. Back in 2003, my 14 yr old cousin found out she had cancer. She fought it bought we lost her in 2005(RIP Heidi). Anyway, at the time Hoiberg was owner or part owner in Pritchard Auto up in Britt and he donated a signed BB for the Auction benefit we had to help cover medical costs. I bought the BB and it is proudly on display in my house today.

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
Here's an encounter I posted awhile back.....

My wife and I accidentally pulled up in front of Fred's house one day (when he lived here in Chaska, MN) b/c his neighbor next door was having a garage sale that we were gonna check out. When we parked in front of his house, there was an older gentleman starring us down from the porch as if he was upset that we were parking in front of his house.

As we left the garage sale and were heading back to the car, the older gentleman started walking towards us and I was thinking "is he really gonna give me crap for parking in front of his house?" But then the guy just cracked a smile & said "Go Cyclones" b/c he saw that I still had cyclone license plates on my car.

So then we smiled back and had a conversation with him for a bit. He said he was a professor at ISU for many years and that his son used to play for the Cyclones MBB team. I said "really, what was his name" - and he said "Fred Hoiberg, do you remember him?" My heart then skipped a few beats and I said "THE MAYOR!!!... of course I remember him - he's the greatest cyclone of all time and one of my childhood heros growing up." He got a kick out of me referring to him as "the mayor."

Anyway, we talked to Mayor Sr. for awhile and he was very nice and very humbled that we were such big fans of his son and of ISU. It was a pretty cool experience aside from not speaking with Fred directly and it's just funny that he probably thought we were some stalker fans pulling up in front of Fred's house initially, but really we were just going to the garage sale next door.

With that all said, I'm sure the Hoiberg's are missed in Chaska. The guy definitely makes an impact in his community no matter where he goes.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Played against him in a little league game in 6th grade. His team was undefeated and our only loss was to his in the first game of the year.

Our best player got on base and I was next at bat. I look down at the coach who was giving me the bunt sign. My thought was, "Are you kidding me, how am I supposed to get a piece of this?" I fouled off the first attempt and coach gives me the bunt sign again. This time, I end up with a perfect bunt down the third base line. A couple of errors later, I ended up scoring on the play. We ended up winning 4-3 to tie for the league championship.

weeterkane

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2009
DM
i had to cover him in a scrimmage for a bit in fall 1990. didn't know who he was at the time (i had just moved to the state). i got one block on him, otherwise he owned me.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Here's an encounter I posted awhile back.....

My wife and I accidentally pulled up in front of Fred's house one day (when he lived here in Chaska, MN) b/c his neighbor next door was having a garage sale that we were gonna check out. When we parked in front of his house, there was an older gentleman starring us down from the porch as if he was upset that we were parking in front of his house.

As we left the garage sale and were heading back to the car, the older gentleman started walking towards us and I was thinking "is he really gonna give me crap for parking in front of his house?" But then the guy just cracked a smile & said "Go Cyclones" b/c he saw that I still had cyclone license plates on my car.

So then we smiled back and had a conversation with him for a bit. He said he was a professor at ISU for many years and that his son used to play for the Cyclones MBB team. I said "really, what was his name" - and he said "Fred Hoiberg, do you remember him?" My heart then skipped a few beats and I said "THE MAYOR!!!... of course I remember him - he's the greatest cyclone of all time and one of my childhood heros growing up." He got a kick out of me referring to him as "the mayor."

Anyway, we talked to Mayor Sr. for awhile and he was very nice and very humbled that we were such big fans of his son and of ISU. It was a pretty cool experience aside from not speaking with Fred directly and it's just funny that he probably thought we were some stalker fans pulling up in front of Fred's house initially, but really we were just going to the garage sale next door.

With that all said, I'm sure the Hoiberg's are missed in Chaska. The guy definitely makes an impact in his community no matter where he goes.

Just to tag on to your Minnesota Hoiberg story...

We try to attend as many events as possible when a Cyclone team plays at the U of M. When Mike Taylor's Cyclone BB team came up here we were at the game. During one time out The Mayor's face appeared on the video screen and all of the Minnesotans went wild. He had not long before retired from the 'Wolves and he was very popular. I quickly found him in the crowd in time to see a Goofer fan tap him on the shoulder and apparently ask him who he was rooting for. Fred smiled and turned around enough for the Minnesota fan to see his Cyclone shirt.

I apparently wasn't the only Cyclone to see it because there was a second audible cheer that went up from the Cyclones in the house.

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
Just to tag on to your Minnesota Hoiberg story...

We try to attend as many events as possible when a Cyclone team plays at the U of M. When Mike Taylor's Cyclone BB team came up here we were at the game. During one time out The Mayor's face appeared on the video screen and all of the Minnesotans went wild. He had not long before retired from the 'Wolves and he was very popular. I quickly found him in the crowd in time to see a Goofer fan tap him on the shoulder and apparently ask him who he was rooting for. Fred smiled and turned around enough for the Minnesota fan to see his Cyclone shirt.

I apparently wasn't the only Cyclone to see it because there was a second audible cheer that went up from the Cyclones in the house.

I was supposed to be at the game, but had a conflict. Awesome game though - I seem to remember Wes Johnson having a crazy good tip in dunk and tip in at the buzzer....is that right?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Fred Hoiberg basketball camp, retrieving balls for him and Reggie Miller as they shot. Did not have to work very hard.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I was in freshman english class with Fred during our freshman year at ISU...fall 1991. Sat beside him on many mornings, and ended up writing a paper about him...everyone had to write a paper about the person sitting at the same table when the project was given, and we were sitting together that day...and I STILL have that paper today.

On the friday before Thanksgiving break, I showed up to english class at 9am, not looking so good. Fred was at the table in front of me. We had decided the night before, after already starting to pre-holiday "live it up," to do the century club. Wow was that a mistake! Our teacher asked me if I was ok, and when I told her what we did the night before, she could only muster the "oh my god" look and was speechless...when she walked away, Fred turned around with a huge smile and said, something to the tune of "that's the first time we have seen her speechless this semester!"

Was a great guy in class, was very quiet, and would always say hi on campus if we ran into each other.

Small world, I was in your english class freshman year also then.

CloneBack

Apr 17, 2007
West Des Moines
Played HORSE with him at Ames Racquet and Fitness (I didn't last long). Had a pair of his golf shoes from a friend and displayed Sleep Sam Perkins shoes at my rental in Ames. Not sure what happened to those shoes from Sam.

CLONECRAZY

Nov 28, 2010
Eastern Iowa
2 Encounters;

1. Standing outside of a Marketing class senior year talking to some classmates when when I notice a shadow on the wall in front of me and one of the girls (Fred's now wife Carol) looks up, steps forward and says "oh hi honey" as Fred steps around me for a kiss. Carol says "hey do you know Fred" and introduces me. Very humble handshake by Fred. Asked Carol for an autograph for my wife (needed to score some points), she gave it to me the next day. My wife still has it to this day. Of course Fred calls her "his greatest fan."

2. My wife and I are leaving Mall of America in August about 6-7 years ago. Fred was still playing for the TWolves. Walking by Rainforest Cafe and there's Fred. We walked up told him we were alumni who watched him play at ISU and mentioned that I had graduated w/ his wife Carol. He tells us he's waiting for his family to meet him to have lunch and apologized that they weren't there as Carol would have liked to have seen me. What???? Anyway.......he was kind and humble had a great 5-10 minute conversation w/ him.

We talked about our encounter for half the way home from Minneapolis.

Just a great guy that represented ISU w/ dignity while he played and will continue to represent as our coach. Can't find a better ambassador.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
The wife (gf at the time) and I saw him at the North Grand Mall in 1990. She wanted to get his autograph and get close to his alpha male essence.

I didn't let her.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
The wife used to say she never understood why everyone was so gaga over CFH's return. Then she got within 10 feet of him a month ago and now she can't stop talking about him.

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
I have the first ever autograph of Fred Hoiberg, as Coach of the Iowa State Cyclones!! I'm not old enough to remember him playing but had seen tapes of his games, heard the legends, and had the senior tour shirt. So I went to the presser announcing his hiring and went right up and asked him for his autograph afterward. The picture appeared in the DSMReg the next day!