Your best Personal Fred Hoiberg Encounter...

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I served he and his girlfriend (now wife) numerous Subway sandwiches while he was still in high school and his freshman year. If you ate at Subway on Welch in 1988-1991 then you've met me. Played against him at State gym as well.

Hawkeye21

Apr 27, 2010
I am obviously a Hawkeye fan, but I know greatness when I see it. Fred was great during my childhood. I also got to see him play a few games in the NBA up in Minneapolis. Anyhow, I took my youth basketball team up to a Wolves game when they were in 7th grade (class of 2012 kids) and they got to watch an NBA game. Fred had just retired and was sitting right in front of us. I told the kids who he was, and gave them some details about his great career in Ames and in the NBA. They immediately went down and lined up for autographs. We were from Des Moines, and he remembered us (our school) playing against him when he was in high school. He was GREAT with the kids. Hard not to like Fred Hoiberg, really.

Unless you are Acie Earl, of course. ;)

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
During the alumni game a few years back, I played in the pep band and had him sign my music book. To be honest, the only thing I remember about that game is how good his stroke still looked. He just put all the other guys on the floor to shame. It makes me wonder if he'd show up for practice in the fall and just start raining 3s.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I had Accounting 284 with him. He never carried himself with any of the arrogance or swagger that a lot of the athletes on campus did, even though he was more accomplished than 99% of them. He was a very cool and humble guy.......oh and he always had at least 3 cheerleaders sitting by him. :notworthy:

I also saw him on the "Senior Tour" after he graduated (what a concept....keeping enough guys in school for 4 years to field an entire lineup!!). Great guy and I'm proud to say he's the coach at my alma mater!

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I am obviously a Hawkeye fan, but I know greatness when I see it. Fred was great during my childhood. I also got to see him play a few games in the NBA up in Minneapolis. Anyhow, I took my youth basketball team up to a Wolves game when they were in 7th grade (class of 2012 kids) and they got to watch an NBA game. Fred had just retired and was sitting right in front of us. I told the kids who he was, and gave them some details about his great career in Ames and in the NBA. They immediately went down and lined up for autographs. We were from Des Moines, and he remembered us (our school) playing against him when he was in high school. He was GREAT with the kids. Hard not to like Fred Hoiberg, really.

Unless you are Acie Earl, of course. ;)

Was Marcus Paige one of those kids? :biggrin:

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Wish I could say I'd met him....so forgive me, but this is a neat story Fred told on IPTV many years ago. As captain of the NBA team he was playing for at the time (Bulls, I believe) it was his duty to meet with the captains of the other team at midcourt with the head referee to go over the usual pre-game chat. This game they were playing the Lakers and so Shaq and Kobe were the opposing captains. As he said, he went up and shook hands with Kobe and then Shaq...who just stands there staring at him....and Fred said Shaq finally growls out in a deep low voice...."The Mayor". And then smiles at Fred. Priceless.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I sat behind him in every class in high school.

Best story was at our HS reunion. I told him how my wifes father subscribes to NBA league pass and watches every game of his, and calls us the next day to tell us how Fred did. I had him pose for a pic with my wife, and then gave it to her dad. He loves that picture so much.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't have any great stories. We would always go get autographs after games and Fred would always stick around to sign all of us kids' programs and would always pose for pictures.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Wish I could say I'd met him....so forgive me, but this is a neat story Fred told on IPTV many years ago. As captain of the NBA team he was playing for at the time (Bulls, I believe) it was his duty to meet with the captains of the other team at midcourt with the head referee to go over the usual pre-game chat. This game they were playing the Lakers and so Shaq and Kobe were the opposing captains. As he said, he went up and shook hands with Kobe and then Shaq...who just stands there staring at him....and Fred said Shaq finally growls out in a deep low voice...."The Mayor". And then smiles at Fred. Priceless.

Wow....

That made me laugh out loud....can see Shaq doing that.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

Hilarious....great story.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Notice how none of these stories are about him getting hammered and passing out at Cy's Roost, stealing a cell phone, robbing a Burger King, beating someone up, driving drunk or doing something else that is completely stupid? Nice that everyone's experience has been positive, that is not always the case. Never heard one bad word about Freddie.

Last edited:

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Thought I would add my Freddy encounter.

In the week prior to the 1993 NCAA tournament, I was lucky enough to attend an ISU practice to get autographs. The practice concluded and my 8-year-old self and two of my friends went into the Cyclone locker room.

We got to see all of the players. Meyer was bench pressing; Justus Thigpen was jamming out to MC Hammer on an eight track and Michalik was combing what little hair he had left.

Keep in mind these guys were like gods to me. But Freddie was above them all. We approached the Mayor while he was applying his Speed Stick - I distinctly remember it was Speed Stick. He asked us about school and told us to come to Iowa State when we were old enough. My day was made. Heck, my life was made. At the time, it was like meeting the man upstairs himself.

As we were leaving the locker room, we were treated to the not-so-glorious sight of Johnny Orr towel-less. "Hiya kids!" he yelled-like only JO could. Yes, I have seen all of then 70-year-old Johnny Orr. After that we quickly left the building. It's a memory I won't ever forget.

Reactions: Palmer

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have never met him but a friend of mine mom babysat him when he was young.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

In the week prior to the 1993 NCAA tournament, I was lucky enough to attend an ISU practice to get autographs. The practice concluded and my 8-year-old self and two of my friends went into the Cyclone locker room.

We got to see all of the players. Meyer was bench pressing; Justus Thigpen was jamming out to MC Hammer on an eight track and Michalik was combing what little hair he had left.

Keep in mind these guys were like gods to me. But Freddie was above them all. We approached the Mayor while he was applying his Speed Stick - I distinctly remember it was Speed Stick. He asked us about school and told us to come to Iowa State when we were old enough. My day was made. Heck, my life was made. At the time, it was like meeting the man upstairs himself.

As we were leaving the locker room, we were treated to the not-so-glorious sight of Johnny Orr towel-less. "Hiya kids!" he yelled-like only JO could. Yes, I have seen all of then 70-year-old Johnny Orr. After that we quickly left the building. It's a memory I won't ever forget.

Hahaha!! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

This is a good story but since I'm the same age as Fred, I've got to object to the 8 track being dropped in here. Surely you mean CASSETTE?! :smile:

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
This is a good story but since I'm the same age as Fred, I've got to object to the 8 track being dropped in here. Surely you mean CASSETTE?! :smile:

Ha...what are cassettes? Never heard of them. :jimlad:

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
I was in People's one night when Fred, Loren Meyer, and some others guys were hanging out. I was trying to make some moves on a girl until Fred came over and said, "Hey, that's my girlfriend!". Needless to say, I immediately left her alone...and he later married her.

Through mutual friends, I was lucky enough to be able to hang out with Fred and some of the other basketball players a few times over the next couple years. I reminded him of that story and we laughed about it. I told him how much he scared me - and the fact that Loren was next to him. Dude was a GIANT! Every time I was around Fred, he was gracious, humble, and a perfect example of what a student athlete should be.

I can't tell you how excited I am to know that such an all-around great guy is the head coach of our basketball team.