You should root for UNI.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Nope, Nada, Never, Negative. However if someone starts a thread, You should root for whoever is playing the eastern school and their little brother, then I'm on board.:yes:

Last edited:

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
So far I'm wrong because:
-"No."
-Iowa fans hate us; we hate them. That's the proper way.
-I care too much.

I was never begging you to cheer for us - what good would that really do? I was making an argument about what you should want. Agree or don't. Doesn't matter to me.

schlepp571

Dec 21, 2013
Ames
I for one and apparently the only one will root for both. Looks like UCLA is in control of UAB, but I hope Iowa wins and destroys the winner. We had a bad morning. Happens from time to time. Off to put the final coat of mud on the patch to fix my rage. Have a good weekend peeps:smile:.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
So far I'm wrong because:
-"No."
-Iowa fans hate us; we hate them. That's the proper way.
-I care too much.

I was never begging you to cheer for us - what good would that really do? I was making an argument about what you should want. Agree or don't. Doesn't matter to me.

Yet you continue to post in this thread, so it sure must matter or you would go away.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
At this point, I only cheer on my bracket pool. And that is in direct conflict with me cheering for UNI. Let's go Cardinals!

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Are you assuming we don't see or watch off-ball movement happening and develop. Depending on your offensive talent and strategy, your off ball movement plays a big part obviously, especially if your not as offensively gifted as an ISU prototype player who can take a defender at any particular time 1 on 1. A UNI type player with the exception of Tuttle doesn't have that ability in most situations, and should be running around creating diversions, looking for screens and clogging lanes etc,.
- I can step back and take a look at the bigger picture outside of the otherwise angry bubbles people are still in around here and enjoy watching UNI and Iowa play and hope they do well. UNI makes the best of the talent they get and Ben is a great coach. A player like Tuttle just makes all the other players around him better, and he's the leader on the floor. Really fun to watch. Drake also was fantastic to watch in their NCAA bid a years ago with Emmenecker.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Really? To be fair there haven't been a lot of Iowa fans rubbing our noses in anything. National pundits and tweeters seem to be filling that gap. I more envious they showed up and did what you're suppose to do to a lower seed
Not yet because most thought they would choke. They will. Last night I got sent the weak Rob Lowe cyclone pic that Hawkeye Nation tweeted out by 3 people.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
This is twocoach-level posting. Condescendingly trying to inform the lesser fans.

"Watch UNI, we can teach you about defense, which is a concept you have never seen before in your whimsical Big 12 Conference. You can note the mental and physical effort that our UNI players have - it will be a new experience for fans of a team full of thugs that jack up threes all game"

C'mon man

Agreed, we offered Morgan because he was a babb like defender. We get it, a bit condescening and back handed overture.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Really? To be fair there haven't been a lot of Iowa fans rubbing our noses in anything. National pundits and tweeters seem to be filling that gap. I more envious they showed up and did what you're suppose to do to a lower seed

Lolyou must not be on social media then, I saw more iowa fans trashing ISU than celebrating their first tournament win in 14 years,

BodeClone

May 15, 2014
I won't root for them but I won't root against them either. Just another game tomorrow.

cfsivert

Aug 30, 2013
Agreed, we offered Morgan because he was a babb like defender. We get it, a bit condescening and back handed overture.
Sure, ok. In retrospect, there is an element to the "learn defense" that does come off condescending. I didn't intend it that way, but I get it. Sorry about that. I shouldn't expect you not to be irritated with it, especially after a loss.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Also, regarding "anti Iowa State," "We root for you" was my reason #4. I do have to agree that over the last couple years, as Iowa State has grown to be a steady Top 10 basketball program, you've started treating UNI more like little brother, and some UNI fans are probably pretty quickly put off by that.

A couple of comments:
1) I've been rooting for UNI all year; as you pointed out, we're not generally seeking the same recruits and I appreciate watching native Iowans, many of whom I watched in HS, have success on a national level;
2) I have nothing but disdain for the minority segment of our fan base who refer to UNI as "little brother"; we hate it when the "State University of" tries to pull it on us, so it's beyond me why we'd do it to UNI;
3) I probably know 100 UNI alum and seemingly 90% of them are hawkeye fans; I'm dubious in my belief there are very many Panthers pulling for ISU when the hawks and Cyclones collide!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron