You should root for UNI.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
All in for UNI the rest of the way. Had them in the championship game . . . losing to Iowa State, of course.

TensasCy

Mar 24, 2012
I know you're in the dumps. You lost a game you should have won and that sucks. But there are good reasons you should want UNI to win it all.

1. We are a home team, even for you. 11 of our 16 players are from the state of Iowa. Rooting for us is rooting for your state.
2. $$$. We are not as financially self-sufficient as ISU or UofIowa. The MVC doesn't give us big TV money. We don't sell out a huge stadium for football and we usually have fewer home games anyway as we go after more money. We do what we can, but we end up needing financial support from the State. NCAA Tournament money for UNI, therefore, is money for everyone in the state. Rooting for UNI is rooting for your own pocketbook.
3. Learn new things. UNI is quite different from ISU in terms of basketball strategy. Some fans watch a team like UNI or Virginia and think that nothing is happening. Or that certain players, like Jeremy Morgan, disappear on the court and have no impact. Let me tell you, even if he has few points and assists, he is having a HUGE impact. When you watch UNI, pick one player and just watch him the whole time. You'll learn a lot about what defense is and it will make you a better fan of the sport.
4. We root for you, too. UNI and ISU have very little reason to wish ill on each other. Over the last few years, UNI and UofIowa have both been interested in the same players. Some we got; some they got. So a strong UNI hurts IofIowa (especially for any players out there who realize they don't want to play for a psycho coach). But there doesn't seem to be that overlap between UNI and ISU. We don't recruit the same kids so we're not a threat to each other.
5. UNI is not just defense. UNI is sometimes criticized for being slow and boring. We slow things down when we're on defense - yes. We don't usually commit more than one player for offensive rebounding. The rest get back to set up for defense. So when we're on D, you can expect that if the shot clock isn't used, we made a mistake somewhere. But on offense, we're more fun to watch than we have been at times. You're not going to see the fireworks you're used to from your squad, but we make offense very efficiently.

There you have it - so find a purple shirt and keep rooting for your other team!

See you in December. You can root for us then.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Sure, ok. In retrospect, there is an element to the "learn defense" that does come off condescending. I didn't intend it that way, but I get it. Sorry about that. I shouldn't expect you not to be irritated with it, especially after a loss.

I'm probably going to root for UNI but not because I believe you. All the UNI fans I know are Hawk fans at the same time and usually bash us when they can. Besides , its hard to go all in as a Panther rooter when your football coach has gone out of his way to put us down any chance he gets with his comments and backhanded info that I was made aware of. Enjoy cheering for your team though. We know how fun that can be as the Sweet 16 awaits. Pretty sure you won't have any trouble with Louisville.

Krieger69

Mar 9, 2015
I have no problem with what the UNI fan said. Don't care a whole lot about UNI, but I'd rather see them be a lot more successful than the Hawkeyes.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I'll root for them, relative and some friends who went there and are generally supportive of ISU.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Big surprise here to everyone who has read my posts this season, but as a UNI grad I'll have my purple on, be going nuts the whole day tomorrow waiting for the game, and likely scream myself hoarse during the game until the clock hits 00:00 and depending on the result quite possibly afterwards as well.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
I'll start cheering for UNI the day before I start cheering for Gene Chizik and 2 days before I start cheering for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
A couple of comments:
1) I've been rooting for UNI all year; as you pointed out, we're not generally seeking the same recruits and I appreciate watching native Iowans, many of whom I watched in HS, have success on a national level;
2) I have nothing but disdain for the minority segment of our fan base who refer to UNI as "little brother"; we hate it when the "State University of" tries to pull it on us, so it's beyond me why we'd do it to UNI;
3) I probably know 100 UNI alum and seemingly 90% of them are hawkeye fans; I'm dubious in my belief there are very many Panthers pulling for ISU when the hawks and Cyclones collide!

Agree with the first 2 but the 3rd in my experience is Not true. I know plenty of UNI fans that root for the cyclones plenty that root for the Hawks but most i know are UNI fans first and foremost.

Slammer

Apr 18, 2012
I cant root for UNI. I went to school (HS) with a guy who graduated in 07 that is still the leader of the UNI cheer squad or whatever they call the douchebags wearing bandanas and overalls.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron