Yet Another Boneheaded Move by the Iowa AD

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Barta messed up on 2 fronts:

1) Once you found out the tickets were purchased under the guise of a charity, make them pay the difference.

2) Waiting until 3 days before the game do act, was pure bush league. You can't tell me Barta did not know about this until yesterday.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I don’t think so. My understanding is that there was a charity fundraising component to be selected to go on the trip, but the raised funds weren’t necessarily going to the boys and girls club.
Interesting.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I think I see what you're saying here...but it's still wrong. Just because you raised money for someone, that does not make you the organization. Not only that, but the Boys and Girls Club had no idea, if you believe the Iowa press release.

An organization can do really nice and good things for its community while still being unethical.
Well articulated.

alenz95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
The PR letter by the OK doesn't mention anything around raising money for anyone or anything. See my post above

It literally says "It is highly unfortunate for the 150 students that collectively fundraised a total of $2649.41 for local charitable organizations in order to be invited on this trip."

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

1) Once you found out the tickets were purchased under the guise of a charity, make them pay the difference.

2) Waiting until 3 days before the game do act, was pure bush league. You can't tell me Barta did not know about this until yesterday.
nah, Iowa won this PR. as disappointing as it is to say.

1. they refunded the cost back and are bringing actual kids from a B&G Club to be guests. They will get a hell of an applause.
2. reviewing tickets a few days before a game makes sense. why would you review tickets for a game 3 months from now. secondly, iowa may have wanted to throw a welcome to carver bit and reached out for a contact person to help facilitate. Or Iowa doesn't like others lying about the reason they want to attend an event.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
It literally says "It is highly unfortunate for the 150 students that collectively fundraised a total of $2649.41 for local charitable organizations in order to be invited on this trip."
I edited it... one sentence in a 7 paragraph PR letter doesn't move me much.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
nah, Iowa won this PR. as disappointing as it is to say.

1. they refunded the cost back and are bringing actual kids from a B&G Club to be guests. They will get a hell of an applause.
2. reviewing tickets a few days before a game makes sense. why would you review tickets for a game 3 months from now. secondly, iowa may have wanted to throw a welcome to carver bit and reached out for a contact person to help facilitate. Or Iowa doesn't like others lying about the reason they want to attend an event.
Would be awesome if they recognized the CR B&G club on the court at HT.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Would be awesome if they recognized the CR B&G club on the court at HT.
Knowing the Iowa AD ... it has a 1/10 chance of happening, because it should happen. Smallest win is a shoutout to the section at some point. Don't **** that up Iowa AD.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Per 1) I think they just got the group discount any group would get so there wasn’t a cut.

alenz95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
I edited it... one sentence in a 7 paragraph PR letter doesn't move me much.

That's fine, and its why I want more context from all involved. I don't really trust a lot of what the Iowa Athletics Department says with their record, but the statement seemed evasive. I am sure more context will come out in the coming day s which is a big reason I phrased each scenario as an "if".

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
That's fine, and its why I want more context from all involved. I don't really trust a lot of what the Iowa Athletics Department says with their record, but the statement seemed evasive. I am sure more context will come out in the coming day s which is a big reason I phrased each scenario as an "if".
I hear ya... However... a student on the 'executive board' for the OK, confirmed Iowas take thinking it made her and the OK look good. It's upthread, I'll quote it to bring it out front.

Reactions: VeloClone

alenz95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
I hear ya... However... a student on the 'executive board' for the OK, confirmed Iowas take thinking it made her and the OK look good. It's upthread, I'll quote it to bring it out front.

Based on that, I'm going to have to side with Iowa on this. There are lot of different routes they could have gone to trick Iowa into approving group tickets that don't involve taking advantage of a charity's good will. How the **** does a board approve that type of behavior.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Based on that, I'm going to have to side with Iowa on this. There are lot of different routes they could have gone to trick Iowa into approving group tickets that don't involve taking advantage of a charity's good will. How the **** does a board approve that type of behavior.
Too many empty suit Vice Presidents who are 21 y/o and in school.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I have no idea, but I guess they have trouble getting tickets from every team in the Big 10 so it isn't just Iowa. They have been impersonating other charities or making stuff up for 20 years now to get tickets.
Because Big 10 schools won’t sell to rival fans. It’s silly that the Big 10 schools prevent this from occurring. The easiest solution is just to have a fanbase that actually shows up for games.

Reactions: carvers4math

Help Support Us

Become a patron