Yet Another Boneheaded Move by the Iowa AD

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't know if it is confirmed by all at this point. Recalling how the Iowa President and AD reacted during the ridiculous band kerfluffle outside Jack Trice, I am also not necessarily inclined to believe whatever they say.

Likewise, I'm not inclined to believe whatever IA fans spew on twitter or other social media. During that band kerfluffle they were clearly making a lot up.

Agreed. Until I see it from an OK release, I'm not sure I buy that they admitted it. They certainly could have been sneaky with how they worded it that lead the ticket agent to assume they were with B&GC, but let's not just take the AD's word here based on what happened with the Iowa band incident.

To me, it could have been something like " Hi I am with a non-profit group that is doing a fundraiser for the Boys and Girls Club to attend a game as a group". Completely factual in this situation. But unless the ticket agent probed into which group they are with, they may have jumped to the conclusion that the caller was with the B&GC where the caller never actually said they were. We don't know for sure that the buyer said they were with the B&GC or just doing a fundraiser for the B&GC based on what the OK has put out. All we have is what the AD believed, which based on history, may or may not be true.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Hate to say it but the Orange Krush got posterized by the Iowa AD. This is not a new thing for them, buying up tickets under fake organizations and invading opponents’ arenas but this time they chose a real charity to impersonate and got burnt once they were caught in the lie.
If you read the article posted about OC they actually have raised significant money for charities.

• Haha
Reactions: FatNTired

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Well, I am on the fence on this also. They did state in their response that they had a 501(c)3 status from the IRS, which means they are a recognized not-for-profit per the U.S. If Iowa felt their charitable purpose was under question, they could have asked for a copy of their status letter issued by the IRS. On the other hand, that letter would not have identified them as the Boys and Girls club of Urbana, Illinois, but rather a student fundraising organization (Orange Crush) at the U of I, so there's that.
There isn't a result from a search of the IRS website with the word Krush in it. My guess is they operate under the University and / or their student groups ID.

Reactions: jmb

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I agree. A question I have is, why won’t Iowa sell tickets to them?
I have no idea, but I guess they have trouble getting tickets from every team in the Big 10 so it isn't just Iowa. They have been impersonating other charities or making stuff up for 20 years now to get tickets.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
If you read the article posted about OC they actually have raised significant money for charities.
we can argue what significant is .... they bought the tickets as if they were a different organization.

Reactions: VeloClone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I have no idea, but I guess they have trouble getting tickets from every team in the Big 10 so it isn't just Iowa. They have been impersonating other charities or making stuff up for 20 years now to get tickets.

Or...they picked the Iowa game specifically because they were confident tickets would be available. Other venues may have been difficult because there aren't full sections of unsold tickets available.

Reactions: BCClone

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Or...they picked the Iowa game specifically because they were confident tickets would be available. Other venues may have been difficult because there aren't full sections of unsold tickets available.
They go to a lot of different places not just Iowa. They went to Purdue last year I believe. I do agree that Iowa would be easy pickings though for most games, but probably not for a Sunday afternoon game against the Illini.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They go to a lot of different places not just Iowa. They went to Purdue last year I believe. I do agree that Iowa would be easy pickings though for most games, but probably not for a Sunday afternoon game against the Illini.
This would have been their third time at iowa. Sounds like Iowa always is easy pickings.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
This would have been their third time at iowa. Sounds like Iowa always is easy pickings.
Well, this game I think is a sellout or close to one so not this year it seems. Also, Iowa is probably one of the closest campuses to them. I know they have been to Purdue a few times as well.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I have no idea, knowing the Iowa AD they just found out about it. Why did the Krush use fraud to obtain tickets is the better question I feel.
What is unclear to me is were they doing a fundraising for BG Club. I have read they have a solid reputation for fund raising for various organizations.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Well, this game I think is a sellout or close to one so not this year it seems. Also, Iowa is probably the closest campus to them. I now they have been to Purdue a few times as well.
200 tickets given away to accomplish that.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
What is unclear to me is were they doing a fundraising for BG Club. I have read they have a solid reputation for fund raising for various organizations.
I don’t think so. My understanding is that there was a charity fundraising component to be selected to go on the trip, but the raised funds weren’t necessarily going to the boys and girls club.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I think I see what you're saying here...but it's still wrong. Just because you raised money for someone, that does not make you the organization. Not only that, but the Boys and Girls Club had no idea, if you believe the Iowa press release.

An organization can do really nice and good things for its community while still being unethical.

Reactions: VeloClone