Yancy tweet

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Gotta laugh at the squawk turds who follow the isu strength coach just so they can show off their idiocy. Twitter is ground zero for biggest dorks on the internet.

Surprise! The hawkeyes have more idiots per capita than any fanbase in the country. Of course they can't help themselves from running their mouths about something that they know nothing about, yet feel superior to actual athletes who can do something that they could never dream of doing. The sheer stupidity of that fanbase should surprise no one, yet they continue to do so.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
I've been close to 400 and exercise with guys who can. None of us had any business being on a D1 football field.
the most anyone could do at my high school was like 350. I go to ames racket and fitness every once in a while and I never see any one close to 400 and half of the guys there juice.

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
Nice job on the memes and personal attacks! Gotta love the internet for that :)

That being said, I failed to articulate my thoughts in my original post. Back in the 1990s, the average bench of a starting D1 lineman was pushing 400. With the advancement in training over the past 20 years, I'd have to think the average bench of a starting lineman in the Big 12 is over 400 lbs now.

I realize that it takes a TON of hard work to get to that 400 lbs club, but I'd like to see all of our o-line and d-line guys in the 400 club with our strongest guys being in the 500 club. That way we are better than average, and hopefully that translates to more W's in the end.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Nice job on the memes and personal attacks! Gotta love the internet for that :)

That being said, I failed to articulate my thoughts in my original post. Back in the 1990s, the average bench of a starting D1 lineman was pushing 400. With the advancement in training over the past 20 years, I'd have to think the average bench of a starting lineman in the Big 12 is over 400 lbs now.

I realize that it takes a TON of hard work to get to that 400 lbs club, but I'd like to see all of our o-line and d-line guys in the 400 club with our strongest guys being in the 500 club. That way we are better than average, and hopefully that translates to more W's in the end.

Bench isn't nearly as emphasized in the Training world now as it was back then. Flexibility and explosive movements (Clean, jerk, etc) along with balance (one legged squats and the like) are much more important in today's football world of speed taking priority over strength

Reactions: PabloDiablo

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I coached Tyler in HS. He was a teammate of Ben Boesen's on our 2010 title team and was our NG. Was strong as an ox in HS too. Great kid, I believe was a 2 during spring ball or at least was practicing with them. Not quite as quick and explosive as you'd like for a B12 DL.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Bench isn't nearly as emphasized in the Training world now as it was back then. Flexibility and explosive movements (Clean, jerk, etc) along with balance (one legged squats and the like) are much more important in today's football world of speed taking priority over strength

This entire post, well done. No doubt the bench is a functional movement for lineman but it must be combined with core and lower extremity movement for max carryover, thus the de-emphasis on straight up bench reps.

There is also a push in some strength communities to change out the bench press at the combine with a seated medicine ball throw for distance to measure single impulse power in linemen.

berther48

Jul 10, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
IMO, the bench press does not translate to the football field very well at all, and 400 isn't really that impressive.

That being said, I hope the hard work in the weight room translates to the field this year...

How much weight do you need to lift to execute your position skill.
Functional strength is knowing when you've reached your goal strength so you are at your best but not risking injury on weight that isn't needed.
If you watch the pro day skills test, bench press is the only weight tested.
Vertical jump shows leg power and quickness, lots of speed and quickness and agility tests.
So what does the hang clean display itself in the speed tests or vertical jump, where is the payoff.
I prefer a good hang snatch, needs transfer of leg power to arm shoulder strength, medium weight develops speed of reaction time,more of a power lift, more body and core coordination.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
IMO, the bench press does not translate to the football field very well at all, and 400 isn't really that impressive.

That being said, I hope the hard work in the weight room translates to the field this year...

Correct. Bench press isn't that important. Especially if they grab the bar outside their shoulders. A test on a "jammer" type machine would be more worthy IMO.

disclaimer .....it's not that bench isn't important. There are other lifts/exercises that relate more to football. Bench would be farther down the list is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
400 is a good bench. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool. Also, of course the bench press translates to football. You may have a small advantage if you want to say the incline bench press is a better indicator, but you're really splitting hairs at that point.

Having said this, I benched 320 in high school and I weighed 203, I also know a guy that weighed 180 and did the same(impressive body mass to strength ratio). I would expect more 300 pound monsters on a D1 team to put up 400. This does not mean they aren't good however. Not everyone has the same kind of explosive strength. Also many of these guys are tall, and longer arms = lower bench weight.

Also whoever claimed using straps discredits the lift doesn't understand safety in the weight room. Dude's throwing around 400+ lbs, of course he's using straps.....

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
400 is a good bench. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool. Also, of course the bench press translates to football. You may have a small advantage if you want to say the incline bench press is a better indicator, but you're really splitting hairs at that point.

Having said this, I benched 320 in high school and I weighed 203, I also know a guy that weighed 180 and did the same(impressive body mass to strength ratio). I would expect more 300 pound monsters on a D1 team to put up 400. This does not mean they aren't good however. Not everyone has the same kind of explosive strength. Also many of these guys are tall, and longer arms = lower bench weight.

Also whoever claimed using straps discredits the lift doesn't understand safety in the weight room. Dude's throwing around 400+ lbs, of course he's using straps.....
I somewhat agree with everything you said, up until the last statement about straps. You shouldn't be using straps on Olympic lifts, that's what a "hook" grip is for. Although, tough to do continuous reps with a hook grip without resetting, so I can see why he would use straps. Straps have nothing to do with safety in the weight room, its more for when your grip is the limiting strength factor. That being said, it's still impressive.

And a couple quick things about 400 lb bench press in football.
1. These guys are football players, not powerlifters. They are probably not testing their 1 RM very often, to decrease the chance for injuries. They should be working more explosive power with bands and chains.
2. Is a 400 lb bench press impressive? When comparing it to a 120+kg powerlifter, no it's not. When comparing it to the average D-1 OL, yes.
3. Why is it impressive? Because I'm sure those guys are benching with a close grip, or at least a lot more narrow grip than a wide powerlifting grip. Close grip benching with elbows tucked is more specific for blocking, but it's also a lot harder to do. Not to mention the arm length of those OL, those are some long levers and they are moving the weight almost a couple feet. If all of these guys trained specifically for powerlifting, widened their grip to the knurled rings, arched their back, flared their elbows out, and primarily did sets of 1-2 reps, I bet they could put up 500+ lbs with only having to move the bar about 12". But of course, that wouldn't do much for football blocking.

TL;DR
These are football players training for specific football movements, not powerlifters. If they wanted to be stronger on a 1 RM, they could be, but that's not the point of football. Football is about explosive power throughout an entire game, not about how much they can lift 1 single time.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Spends his paycheck on roids, still sleeps on what looks like a futon.

I like this guys style, including the gold star on his bedroom door.

*Yes, I know it's a photoshop. I can see the distortion in the door just as easily as you can.
Hey, maybe that is a new style door.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I somewhat agree with everything you said, up until the last statement about straps. You shouldn't be using straps on Olympic lifts, that's what a "hook" grip is for. Although, tough to do continuous reps with a hook grip without resetting, so I can see why he would use straps. Straps have nothing to do with safety in the weight room, its more for when your grip is the limiting strength factor. That being said, it's still impressive.

And a couple quick things about 400 lb bench press in football.
1. These guys are football players, not powerlifters. They are probably not testing their 1 RM very often, to decrease the chance for injuries. They should be working more explosive power with bands and chains.
2. Is a 400 lb bench press impressive? When comparing it to a 120+kg powerlifter, no it's not. When comparing it to the average D-1 OL, yes.
3. Why is it impressive? Because I'm sure those guys are benching with a close grip, or at least a lot more narrow grip than a wide powerlifting grip. Close grip benching with elbows tucked is more specific for blocking, but it's also a lot harder to do. Not to mention the arm length of those OL, those are some long levers and they are moving the weight almost a couple feet. If all of these guys trained specifically for powerlifting, widened their grip to the knurled rings, arched their back, flared their elbows out, and primarily did sets of 1-2 reps, I bet they could put up 500+ lbs with only having to move the bar about 12". But of course, that wouldn't do much for football blocking.

TL;DR
These are football players training for specific football movements, not powerlifters. If they wanted to be stronger on a 1 RM, they could be, but that's not the point of football. Football is about explosive power throughout an entire game, not about how much they can lift 1 single time.

I agree with you with exception of the straps not being about safety. If someones grip can't compensate for their overall strength and they are doing multiple reps then it is most definitely for safety of the lifter and for others.

You are very knowledgeable about lifting. It is nice to find someone that can be positive to the communities overall understanding.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I never understood it. As an offensive lineman a million years ago myself, bench was never that important. Everyone wanted to brag about their bench, but squat was a hundred times more important. Offensive lineman rely much more on their hips and legs than their arms. A good pop is important, but after that you want to engage and draw the defender closer to you so they can't just slap your extended arms off of them. It's all about hip power, balance and positioning of the hips and legs.

Defensive linemen I can see arm strength (bench press) be more prevelant and important due to the moves they have to makes and when they bull rush an offensive lineman.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX

400 and above is a pretty decent lift. 450 and up is outstanding. Last year I think only 3 players broke the 500 pound mark in all of college football.

There is a formula developed that is supposed to reliably translate the combine 225 test to a 1RM equivalent and if it is accurate the top bench at the 2014 combine would have been 378.43 pounds in a 1RM situation.

Even if it is off 20% that would make the best at the combine 454. So yeah 400# is not bad.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I never understood it. As an offensive lineman a million years ago myself, bench was never that important. Everyone wanted to brag about their bench, but squat was a hundred times more important. Offensive lineman rely much more on their hips and legs than their arms. A good pop is important, but after that you want to engage and draw the defender closer to you so they can't just slap your extended arms off of them. It's all about hip power, balance and positioning of the hips and legs.

Defensive linemen I can see arm strength (bench press) be more prevelant and important due to the moves they have to makes and when they bull rush an offensive lineman.

U of I did a study on the effect of squatting on the whole body. Two guys did nothing but different squat variations for workout. After the year all of their maxes went up including bench, and if I remember right it was by a significant amount. Squats are easily the most important lift for football in my mind. That and possibly hang cleans. Gotta get that explosive power.