Wow! Curtis Hall Room 127!

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
When did this renovation occur! Sure didn't look like this in the early 90's when I was taking Zoology!!

Last edited:

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
I'm a sophomore and it's been like that since I've been here. I'll be there tomorrow as a matter of fact.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Had to have been done early to mid decade I think..

When I took classes there...nothing but a creaky auditorium with ghost of alumni past.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I was working with the team that installed the screen and AV equipment in that room. I remember the screen going up first, as it's one screen but has two rear-projectors installed behind and that was done in the Summer of '06. I'm guessing the rest of the renovation to the auditorium seating and the stage/podium was completed in the Summer of '07.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Definitely was done in the past few years. I took a final there in the not too distant past, and it looked NOTHING like that! Wow!

EDIT: Noticed the iPhone intelligently corrected "I took" with "unroll". What?

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I took a lot of naps in that upper deck. I probably haven't had a class there since spring of '05, but it didn't look like that at all.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This was completed in the fall of 2007. I worked for the ISU construction office as a student intern my final semester helping with the day to day stuff with the job. It was very intersting to say the least. Though the colors are a bit obtuse as we called it Shoe Carnival (not sure why?) It's a pretty cool auditorium. To meet newer codes, the auditorium did lose quite a few seats actually.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Wow! I saw that in an email from ISU but I didn't see where it was. I figured it was a new building. It does look like there are a lot less seats. I only ever had 1 class there, but given that it was Soc, didn't attend much or sat in the balcony across the way in the picture.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I took a lot of naps in that upper deck. I probably haven't had a class there since spring of '05, but it didn't look like that at all.

As have I. Best environment for a nap? College of Design with professors that dimmed the lights.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Me too! Upper level was a good place to nap without looking so obvious since most profs didn't care to look up a lot.

Had 1 class in there with Darren Davis and all he would do is nap every time. He and some big lineman would come in halfway through lecture, sit in the upper deck and proceed to nap. I don't know how he passed that class because I couldn't afford to nap with how tough it was. Probably the hardest earned C+ I ever got at ISU and that was only because I aced the final after going into it with a grade somewhere in the D range and studied more than I ever had for 1 final because I was worried about failing the class just like several others I knew were in the same boat. Same class also had Cael Sanderson in it his freshman year who happened to be in my recitation section as well. He wasn't quite as well-known then as he eventually was though.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It looks nice, however I would miss the old room as it had a nice old school college feel. Psych 230 was a great class to nap in the upperdeck, or just catch up on reading the daily.

ironsam

Nov 20, 2009
I recall fondly sitting in the upper level with the old-school boards across my lap to write upon. And nap, as has been stated previously!
Oh wow, I totally forgot about those boards. Wonder if they are still there.

In another note, the reason the fire code requires less chairs is because people are bigger and fatter these days, so it is harder to evacuate the room.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
This was completed in the fall of 2007. I worked for the ISU construction office as a student intern my final semester helping with the day to day stuff with the job. It was very intersting to say the least. Though the colors are a bit obtuse as we called it Shoe Carnival (not sure why?) It's a pretty cool auditorium. To meet newer codes, the auditorium did lose quite a few seats actually.

You sure it was fall of 07? My final semester (spring 08) I had a class there and it didn't look like that. FWIW, I rarely went to that class so maybe I missed this...don't know how I would have though. It looks so different in that pic from what I remember it. I had many classes in that room.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
You sure it was fall of 07? My final semester (spring 08) I had a class there and it didn't look like that. FWIW, I rarely went to that class so maybe I missed this...don't know how I would have though. It looks so different in that pic from what I remember it. I had many classes in that room.

Yes it was finished up probably December of 07 because that was my last semester and it was the last project I helped on. There could have been minor tweaks in Spring of 08 though.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Wow, that used to be the easiest auditorium to cheat in!

Not that I'd know anything about that.