Alert: WILLIAMS: CF launches Patreon page, please read

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I assume you don't have details determined yet, otherwise this would be in place today, but are you able to ballpark the costs for the ad free option?

That's the way I'd like to go, but if it's going to be $500 per year or something then I'll support in other ways.

Thanks. The site is great, and it's worth supporting to keep it.

Can't give you a ballpark yet but it won't be 500 a year. No way it'll be that high.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Is there a way to just do a lump some annually instead of monthly? That would work better for me.

I have gotten a lot of responses like this. Through Patreon, no. But CF does have a PayPal account. I will provide that info in the coming days as an option. The reason we didn't go with PayPal initially is because Patreon is specifically built for sites like these. Patreon takes 5 percent of donations, compared to 10-12 via PayPal.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I'm on here a lot and would pay/help pay whatever to keep it going but I'm not sure I like it if this were to become a Premium vs Non-premium site. Seems we would lose a lot of the openness that I think makes this site work. I'm sure CW has some good ideas though.

It's not. The premium stuff is going to be buying extra things - like special emojis, ad-free options, etc. Not going to have a premium board or anything like that. content still free for everyone.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Just signed up. With the amount of content I get on a daily basis from CF it is well worth a donation. I have a few ideas on increasing membership that I have seen from others that use the Patreon format, will send you an email with some details @ChrisMWilliams

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
That's a really good idea....
Could also go with the reddit model of gilding others. Maybe I really like someone else's comment and want to give them premium membership for a month as a gift for $5.00. No skin off Fanatics back, and helps us reward people we agree with. Thoughts?

Reactions: Farnsworth

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I appreciate it. I think the amount we spend per month on the server/dev alone would blow your guys' minds.

I know you guys are not going to divulge trade secrets or private information (and particularly employee salaries), but I would be curious as to a range for this.

I suppose I could work backwards from your page traffic numbers and a few other parameters to come up with a reasonable estimate, however, if really curious.

Could also go with the reddit model of gilding others. Maybe I really like someone else's comment and want to give them premium membership for a month as a gift for $5.00. No skin off Fanatics back, and helps us reward people we agree with. Thoughts?

Theoretically, wouldn't CF collect all of that $$$...?

Except if it prevents somebody from needing to pay for such a premium membership, but I guess the worst that could happen to CF with that is net zero.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
This is a great idea and with the amount of content that has been provided over the years I don't think there should be any level of uncomfortableness asking for donations.

Sort of random question but how is your fandom with Iowa State Athletics? You mention consistently being busy with the site and covering the school, but does this allow any time for you to enjoy our athletics programs? Obviously you have to try to keep things in check somewhat emotionally to keep things from bleeding into your work. Just curious as to how covering the clones non stop has affected your fan relationship with them.
When I started getting into sports journalism a former WSJ beat writer for the NY mets and later Yankees told me the day you start working as a sports journalist is the day you stop being a sports fan.

While I wouldn't go to that extreme because I liked writing about ISU and still consider myself an ISU fan above everything else. The only issue is the pressure from your editors and producers to remove yourself from the team (in my case ISU). I love writing about ISU and following them but I struggle writing the hard stories when ISU may be struggling or going through rough patches.

I find myself more inclined to want to work covering the national stories and teams outside of my fandom because I find it easier to be objective.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
I know you guys are not going to divulge trade secrets or private information (and particularly employee salaries), but I would be curious as to a range for this.

I suppose I could work backwards from your page traffic numbers and a few other parameters to come up with a reasonable estimate, however, if really curious.

Theoretically, wouldn't CF collect all of that $$$...?

Except if it prevents somebody from needing to pay for such a premium membership, but I guess the worst that could happen to CF with that is net zero.

I see it as a way of going above and beyond agreeing with a comment. It is money that CF never would have seen to begin with because there is no way for me to purchase premium mode for someone else as it stands. I don't think it would hurt anyone to include it as an option.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
When I started getting into sports journalism a former WSJ beat writer for the NY mets and later Yankees told me the day you start working as a sports journalist is the day you stop being a sports fan.

While I wouldn't go to that extreme because I liked writing about ISU and still consider myself an ISU fan above everything else. The only issue is the pressure from your editors and producers to remove yourself from the team (in my case ISU). I love writing about ISU and following them but I struggle writing the hard stories when ISU may be struggling or going through rough patches.

I find myself more inclined to want to work covering the national stories and teams outside of my fandom because I find it easier to be objective.

This is the answer I expected. I can tell you I'm not nearly professional enough to keep my fandom from bleeding into any work I'd do myself. Thanks for the response.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Has Cyclonefantic ever had a "shop" on the website ? Selling koozies or shirts etc.

Reactions: jburke

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
Has Cyclonefantic ever had a "shop" on the website ? Selling koozies or shirts etc.
Not a bad idea, another would be you could give things like that as an incentive to donate. For example say you give x amount of $$$ each month you get a koozie, and so on and so forth.

• Creative
Reactions: SECyclone