Alert: WILLIAMS: CF launches Patreon page, please read

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That is a really good question. Can I think about how to answer it and maybe write a column about it for you?

Having spent a little time with some of the CF personalities around ISU events, I can attest that these guys are really great fans. I love the way they link their journalism with their fandom. They really know their stuff too. Even when they are "off the air," they seem to love to talk ISU sports.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
From a tech perspective it is annoying nobody (looking at you Google/Apple) has found a better way to monetize mobile. Your location provides an extra data point to help sell you something. If I'm sitting at a desktop I am more likely in a passive state on spending money. However, if I am out and about, chances are better that I would be more of an 'Active' state buyer, especially local shops near me. If I am out and about during lunch or after 9:00 pm and I get a Drink/Lunch specials then hook/line/sinker.

It's just stupid how simple it would be...:rolleyes:o_O.

Continuing on my soapbox, the reason why AD revenues are down for non-mobile sites are because everybody can spot them and they don't work as well as they used to. It would be great if there was an easier way to prove to your current advertisers that their customer base is coming to them because they support CF (obviously URL redirects can capture this data, but for companies like A+ it is up to the consumer to provide this info upon sign up). For example, I signed up for A+ a couple years ago solely because they were an advertiser to the site.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
From a tech perspective it is annoying nobody (looking at you Google/Apple) has found a better way to monetize mobile. Your location provides an extra data point to help sell you something. If I'm sitting at a desktop I am more likely in a passive state on spending money. However, if I am out and about, chances are better that I would be more of an 'Active' state buyer, especially local shops near me. If I am out and about during lunch or after 9:00 pm and I get a Drink/Lunch specials then hook/line/sinker.

It's just stupid how simple it would be...:rolleyes:o_O.

Continuing on my soapbox, the reason why AD revenues are down for non-mobile sites are because everybody can spot them and they don't work as well as they used to. It would be great if there was an easier way to prove to your current advertisers that their customer base is coming to them because they support CF (obviously URL redirects can capture this data, but for companies like A+ it is up to the consumer to provide this info upon sign up). For example, I signed up for A+ a couple years ago solely because they were an advertiser to the site.

And you should make every piece of content a slideshow format, I heard people love that format these days... :D

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I'm on here a lot and would pay/help pay whatever to keep it going but I'm not sure I like it if this were to become a Premium vs Non-premium site. Seems we would lose a lot of the openness that I think makes this site work. I'm sure CW has some good ideas though.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm on here a lot and would pay/help pay whatever to keep it going but I'm not sure I like it if this were to become a Premium vs Non-premium site. Seems we would lose a lot of the openness that I think makes this site work. I'm sure CW has some good ideas though.

Everything I've read is that nothing about the site is going to become premium. The thing today is simply a way for people to give some money to support the site and the other thing he talked about is a way to have an ad free site.

I just signed up. I very much appreciate all of the content that everyone involved in here contributes to.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It would be great if there was an easier way to prove to your current advertisers that their customer base is coming to them because they support CF (obviously URL redirects can capture this data, but for companies like A+ it is up to the consumer to provide this info upon sign up). For example, I signed up for A+ a couple years ago solely because they were an advertiser to the site.

I agree. I made a purchase from heartland flags and didn't go through a redirect so they have no clue it was because of their CF sponsorship. I'm sure they have some metrics for this sort of thing though. Just like a majority of advertising you don't really know what promotion is tied to what sales (outside of offer codes, coupons, redirects, etc).

• Informative
Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Interested in an annual payments, or a one time lifetime payment.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Does patreon take a cut of this? Would love to pay CF directly. :/