Williams Blog: Give the PAC 10 credit

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's certainly alarming...I came off in another thread the wrong way...

But I want this to be taken with the best possible respect...Would ISU possibly be more successful in a MAC or even MWC? The attendance and facility's would be among the best in that league...and you would probably be able to contend for a title...Money wise it would probably be about a 10 million dollar hit...but maybe with more success on the field and court the donors would start to open up those pocketbooks? I don't know...regardless it doesn't look good for ISU.

flat out, no, it wouldnt work. just because we're at the level where we can take down mac\mwc conference teams now, does not mean that would necessarily continue. sure, we'd hold a facilities advantage (certainly over the MAC where we'd have the largest school-owned stadium by at least 20,000 seats, and in the MWC would be 2nd after BYU), but our recruiting would drop off, our ability to retain top level coaching would drop off, our donors would drop off... the shock to the system would be incredible. Over time, we'd be down to the level of the rest of that group, if not below due to struggling to cope with the budget shock.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
How come Kansas apparently is not considered in Big 10 or Pac 10 covert actions? The Kansas City market supports an NFL & MLB franchise and I would think would bring financial resources to whichever conf. KU would align itself with. From what I read in these discussions, K-St., ISU and KU are not ever thought of as attractive while MU, NU & CU of the North division are.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I have a question...how would this make Iowa irrelevant?? We are a top 15 grossing football program and a pretty highly grossing department...and on the field we can more than hold our own...we already own the state in recruiting so...It's ignorant comments like these that annoy me.

And you think Iowa will just continue to win 10 games a year when they have to play Texas, Nebraska, Missouri, Ohio St, Penn St... and then probably Ohio St again in the conference championship ( if they ever make it to the conference championship?).

Iowa will be in the division with Texas and Nebraska, should they join the Big 10. Nebraska is now a top 10-15 team again too. You will never beat Texas for the division title... just accept that right now.

In the end, this will not be a good thing for Iowa either. Come back a few years after this all goes down and see how you like it? I doubt you will. Iowa doesn't have the fan following and TV sets of the big boys. Sorry. They just don't.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
How come Kansas apparently is not considered in Big 10 or Pac 10 covert actions? The Kansas City market supports an NFL & MLB franchise and I would think would bring financial resources to whichever conf. KU would align itself with. From what I read in these discussions, K-St., ISU and KU are not ever thought of as attractive while MU, NU & CU of the North division are.

I think there are two factors at play here because certainly KU brings WAY more to the table academically and athletically to the Pac 10 than TT or OSU.

a) UT, OU and A&M said we're a package deal with TT and OSU and of course they are the big fish that the Pac 10 is trying to land.

b) KU and K-state are tied through legislation, and K-state is not welcomed in the Pac 10 (although OSU and Tech cannot be much different).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I am frankly shocked at the number of people who are talking about Iowa here. We're facing potential athletics armageddon and people want to talk Hawks. It's befuddling.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
How is it doomsday?? the only teams the Big 12 has that are THAT much more prestigious than Iowa are Texas and OU.

Nebraska is currently on par with Iowa
Missouri won't even play us in football...bball I don't follow them.

We suck at many other non revenue sports besides WBB and Field hockey soooo....

More like Iowa is finally on par with Nebraska after the Huskers have taken several steps backwards and the hawks have taken several steps forward. As far as tradition goes Nebraska blows Iowa right off of the college football map.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
And you think Iowa will just continue to win 10 games a year when they have to play Texas, Nebraska, Missouri, Ohio St, Penn St... and then probably Ohio St again in the conference championship ( if they ever make it to the conference championship?).

Iowa will be in the division with Texas and Nebraska, should they join the Big 10. Nebraska is now a top 10-15 team again too. You will never beat Texas for the division title... just accept that right now.

In the end, this will not be a good thing for Iowa either. Come back a few years after this all goes down and see how you like it? I doubt you will. Iowa doesn't have the fan following and TV sets of the big boys. Sorry. They just don't.

Iowa will be fine as long as Kirk Ferentz is there, but if they have a mis-hire after he's gone, and lose momentum, they could become cellar dwellers very quickly.

It is not easy to have back-to-back-to-back great hires by any FB powerhouse, let along a borderline power like Iowa.

Look no further than their once mighty Bball program. It's a doormat with no end in site.

Long term, this expansion will not help Iowa. Texas, OSU, Nebby, Michigan (it might take another coach or so) and Penn State will always be football powers. That's a lot of might to compete with for a small state.

They've had a good run with Fry and Ferentz, but they could easily slip up once he's gone.

Mclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 7, 2006
Unless a TV deal can be negotiated similar to the proposed PAC 10/Fox deal or the Big 10 network, I don't know why Oklahoma or Okie State would stay. If it is clear that revenues will be significantly greater if they join the PAC 10, they will be gone.

Travel would be a reason. It sounds like they won't play the California/west coast schools, but I would think they will have to play them on a every 2/3 year schedule.

Maybe it's just me, but I would be a little hesitant hitching my horse to the Texas wagon. They are clearly out for their own best interest. Going independent will always be an option for them regardless of where they go. If that happens, where will that leave OU and OSU.

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
How is it doomsday?? the only teams the Big 12 has that are THAT much more prestigious than Iowa are Texas and OU.

Big surprise there...

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
you mean that state that's going completely bankrupt?

True, but there are also more people there than Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa and Kansas combined.

Cable companies do not carry the Big 10 Network in California. It is prime real estate for a college network. Now add Texas into the mix and you have the
potential for a Network that would equal or exceed the Big 10 network.

I believe the states of California and Texas combined have a total population of
61,000,000. This is as much as entire population of all the states that house Big 10 institutions.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010

wait..so iowa has been asking mizzou to play football with them and they say "no, we are too afraid of the mighty hawks"?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Thanks to the Big 10's greed, college football as we know it will be gone forever. Most likely it will result in ISU going to a lesser conference and Iowa becoming completely irrelevant in the Big 10 amongst the big boys.

Greed or realization that they need more teams and a conference championship to be respected?

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I was also in awe of the revelation that a Hawkeye doesn't follow basketball.

This deserves yet another follow-up. I can't believe this guy wasn't one of the hundreds who supported their squad this year at Carver...unbelievable!

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Here's what I've been wondering about all day: Why these exact 6 teams?

Colorado has been in the discussion for longer than we've been having it and delivers the Denver market. Makes Sense.

Oklahoma is a perennial power and delivers OKC. Makes Sense.

Texas is of course a no-brainer.

Tech, OSU and to a much lesser extent A&M puzzle me.

Surely Texas and A&M together would already deliver the Texas markets. Texas on it's own would probably do that. Is one of the schools or the state pressuring the Pac-10 to take Tech? Is including Tech merely a safety measure by the Pac-10 to insure they can bully there way onto Texas cable packages if they're not able to snag the Longhorns?

Similar questions about OSU. I didn't realize that OU was that attached to their rivalry that they had to be a package deal.

I'm not even saying that I think ISU should be included instead. Honestly, it's not the Pac-10's best option. But wouldn't they be accomplishing better results with a similar approach if they were looking to add Texas, OU, CU and then some combination of Utah, BYU, KU, KSU, or ISU? I'll leave out Nebby and Mizzou and assume their Big Ten bound. Assuming the Kansas schools can only be a package deal, let's say you take Utah, KU, and KSU. This deliver two more major markets not currently delivered by the Pac-10's proposal and doesn't add that much travel distance. If you could separate KU from KSU, even adding ISU would give you Des Moines and wouldn't add all that much travel distance if you assume that schools will mostly be competing in divisional pods

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
wait..so iowa has been asking mizzou to play football with them and they say "no, we are too afraid of the mighty hawks"?

Actually, yes, pretty much. Mizzou was suppose to do a home and home with Iowa (might have been actually 2 sets, not 100% sure) but backed out because they didn't want to play Iowa and Illinois, then all the teams in the big 12.

In a nutshell, Mizzou knew Iowa was getting better (someone tell me if this is wrong but I thought the deal was actually setup in Kirk's first 3 years when they weren't very good) and once they started to get better Mizzou didn't want to have the possiblity to lose 2 games (Illinois and Iowa) and have them both be on the road. They would much rather play SE Missouri State at home and get the easy W AND the home ticket money!