Williams Blog: Give the PAC 10 credit

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Good post Chris.

Yeah... you have to give the Pac 10 credit. They are being proactive in this.

Beebe is about the worst leader I've ever seen. He's the head of one of the best conferences in the country and he's standing by as it gets eaten alive. What a leader.

Hawk10

May 13, 2010
Iowa City
Pretty accurate take...PAC10 decided to be proactive not reactive...and there are some rumors that the Big 10 is accelerating their timeline now...it's supposedly on the fast track.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Under Beebe's leadership the Big XII is about to see this.....

nuclear-bomb-explosion.jpg

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Thanks to the Big 10's greed, college football as we know it will be gone forever. Most likely it will result in ISU going to a lesser conference and Iowa becoming completely irrelevant in the Big 10 amongst the big boys.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
The new Big 12?

Big 12 (BCS affiliation)
North
Wyoming, BYU, Colorado State, Boise State, Utah, Iowa State

South:
Baylor, TCU, Houston, Kansas, UNLV, Kansas State

You could move both Kansas teams to the North and move BYU and Utah to the South...?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
The new Big 12?

Big 12 (BCS affiliation)
North

South:

You could move both Kansas teams to the North and move BYU and Utah to the South...?

I like an East/West thing better. Also I would try to work in some schools like Louisville, Memphis, Cinci, Pitt, etc if they are out in the cold and drop CSU and Wyoming if needed. Air Force would be another option.

Hawk10

May 13, 2010
Iowa City
Thanks to the Big 10's greed, college football as we know it will be gone forever. Most likely it will result in ISU going to a lesser conference and Iowa becoming completely irrelevant in the Big 10 amongst the big boys.

I have a question...how would this make Iowa irrelevant?? We are a top 15 grossing football program and a pretty highly grossing department...and on the field we can more than hold our own...we already own the state in recruiting so...It's ignorant comments like these that annoy me.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
If anyone becomes irrelevant, its the castoff teams from the Big 12 that aren't invited to either the PAC 10 or the Big Ten. How much respect do the teams from the Mountain West currently receive, even those teams that are the best in the MWC? That is the future we may face.

Mclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 7, 2006
The new Big 12?

Big 12 (BCS affiliation)
North

South:

I like the thought. Drop Baylor and instead look at the Big East Football schools with Missouri and Nebraska staying. Geographically speaking, it might be apealing to Oklahoma and OSU to stay. Would make for some nice basketball schools.

ty4cy90

Apr 27, 2010
Ames/Spirit Lake
My question is this...What does the PAC-10 have that the Big 12 doesn't? Revenue sharing? More money? A single school that doesn't control the conference?

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I have a question...how would this make Iowa irrelevant?? We are a top 15 grossing football program and a pretty highly grossing department...and on the field we can more than hold our own...we already own the state in recruiting so...It's ignorant comments like these that annoy me.
Iowa could hold their own in football and wrestling, but they would be bottom of the big 10 for everything else.
Whatever conf. picks up Texas will become the elite conf. It will be interesting in the next couple weeks.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

Iowa better hope that the Big 10 invites some lessor teams or it will be doomsday for the hawks.

Hawk10

May 13, 2010
Iowa City
It's certainly alarming...I came off in another thread the wrong way...

But I want this to be taken with the best possible respect...Would ISU possibly be more successful in a MAC or even MWC? The attendance and facility's would be among the best in that league...and you would probably be able to contend for a title...Money wise it would probably be about a 10 million dollar hit...but maybe with more success on the field and court the donors would start to open up those pocketbooks? I don't know...regardless it doesn't look good for ISU.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
I like the thought. Drop Baylor and instead look at the Big East Football schools with Missouri and Nebraska staying. Geographically speaking, it might be apealing to Oklahoma and OSU to stay. Would make for some nice basketball schools.
Unless a TV deal can be negotiated similar to the proposed PAC 10/Fox deal or the Big 10 network, I don't know why Oklahoma or Okie State would stay. If it is clear that revenues will be significantly greater if they join the PAC 10, they will be gone.

Hawk10

May 13, 2010
Iowa City
Iowa better hope that the Big 10 invites some lessor teams or it will be doomsday for the hawks.

How is it doomsday?? the only teams the Big 12 has that are THAT much more prestigious than Iowa are Texas and OU.

Nebraska is currently on par with Iowa
Missouri won't even play us in football...bball I don't follow them.

We suck at many other non revenue sports besides WBB and Field hockey soooo....

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008

But I want this to be taken with the best possible respect...Would ISU possibly be more successful in a MAC or even MWC? The attendance and facility's would be among the best in that league...and you would probably be able to contend for a title...Money wise it would probably be about a 10 million dollar hit...but maybe with more success on the field and court the donors would start to open up those pocketbooks? I don't know...regardless it doesn't look good for ISU.
You have little room to talk about facility's...Iowa would have the worse facility's in the big 10. Mizzou and NU have better.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I bet it would be at least a 10 million dollar hit, probably more like 15 or 20. Also, attendance would greatly suffer. Let's be honest it would make a huge difference. Look at how full hilton is against noncon foes as opposed to conference foes... it's night and day.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron