Who are we going to upset?

asmosis

Jul 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Which team do you think we can upset this season? Doesn't have to be a power-house top-5 team, but any team we're expected to lose to. Obviously we have to come up with a few unexpected wins to make a bowl this year, so which one/ones do you think it could be?

I say Nebraska - late in the season we've had time to develop the offense, we've got them at home and I think they are overrated this season by all the experts. I know us fans are clamoring for us to kick the huskers on their way out.

I think we've got a shot at Iowa, but it will take a near-perfect game - our deep line will have to open holes for the run game and our D will have to get past the newer O-line of the Hawks and cause pressure. Turnovers are needed. Being in Iowa City also makes the hill a little steeper to climb.

And based on preseason Rivals rankings, we're taking out Kansas. That is a win IMO.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
another question-who will upset us?

look out for northern illinois. though when we play them, they may be expected to win. we aren't going to be favored to win many games this year, so you could almost pick any team on the schedule as an upset win.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
another question-who will upset us?

look out for northern illinois. though when we play them, they may be expected to win. we aren't going to be favored to win many games this year, so you could almost pick any team on the schedule as an upset win.

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine this morning. For my money, as much as I'd like to say Nebraska or Iowa, I think Utah or Mizzou are most likely.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Longhorns in Cowboy stadium. :wink:

This may have an undesired affect. Pretty sure Earth as we know it would shift into an alternate dimension upon the final second ticking off the game clock.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Texas may not be AS big of a reach as people think. They lost quite a few players at key positions (McCoy, Kindle, Thomas) that could be tough to replace even though they are chuck full of five-star recruits. I still think it highly unlikely though.

I honestly think our best shot will be Iowa. Just looking at history, more often than not it looks like a pretty big mismatch on paper (like it does this year) but once the teams get out there somehow they seem to play pretty even-matched ball. That and it seems like Iowa usually takes a few games before they hit on all cylinders. Still a very tough game for us over in IC

Cysrevenge

Aug 13, 2010
we'll be dogs to texas tech and utah. I think we could easily win both of those games.

Iowa is a crapshoot every year, this year is no different

Nebraska is ridiculously overrated

that's 4 games we will be picked to lose that I think we have a legitimate shot at.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
This may have an undesired affect. Pretty sure Earth as we know it would shift into an alternate dimension upon the final second ticking off the game clock.

As long as the alternate universe involves supermodels and Commadore 64's for everyone....

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I'm hoping it's Texas. ISU plays in Austin Oct. 23. The week before is Texas @ Nebraska & the week before that is the Red River Shootout. It will be Texas first game in Austin since Sept. 25 (when they host UCLA). Texas could be worn down and more vulnerable than they have been in the past - of course the conditions could also favor a blowout in Texas favor...

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
I'd say Missouri. I'd love it to be Texas or OU, but I don't see that happening. Nebraska is overrated, but still good. It is at home, so maybe a shot

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My preseason projection had no clear upsets built into it, but that's where I'm hoping we can snag at least one big win (an additional mild upset would help, too)

if I had to put it in realistic order of likelihood:
1. Utah (if it qualifies as an upset by that point)
2. Tech
3. Missouri
4. Nebraska
5. Iowa

But my gut tells me it's Iowa.

Help Support Us

Become a patron