When will my son stop crapping his pants?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Is there something that he really wants (a toy, etc) that you could set as a goal. Once he reaches the goal, you positively reinforce him with that reward. Sometimes this has worked with kids - (one of my children was motivated through this method).
Yet sometimes that doesn't work. For example, my oldest daughter and a good friend's son both had similar situations - once they were 4, they figured that they were too old for diapers & that they needed to go potty just like a "big person". I sympathize with your frustrations over a 3-year-old who won't poo on the pot - but, I believe, everything will eventually work itself out (no pun intended).

Hear about the constipated engineer? He worked it out with a mechanical pencil.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I feel your pain. We are going through the same thing with our 2.5 year old. He pees like a champ on the potty and even tells us when he has to pee, but he won't drop a deuce on there to save is life.

He pooped on his potty the one and only time on Monday night and we were thrilled. We took him to Hy-vee to get a balloon and some cookies, but I think we just got lucky with the timing. The rewards weren't even enough to motivate him.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
this thread is good birth control.

It's giving me hope for the future. This is MUCH better than the blowout diaper thread I saw on FB this morning. *shivers* They were categorizing them by how many wipes used or when the kid gets a bath....

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's giving me hope for the future. This is MUCH better than the blowout diaper thread I saw on FB this morning. *shivers* They were categorizing them by how many wipes used or when the kid gets a bath....

I didn't classify it as a true blowout unless it reached the collar of his shirt in back. And yes, that happened once.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
no kidding. Sometimes I'm not sure how they're capable of it. Our daughter is 3, and mostly potty trained. Sometimes I'll take her to the bathroom, and she'll drop a deuce that would be down right impressive for an adult. I damn near want to yell at my wife "Hey, bring the camera! This one's going in the baby book!"

This guy always creeps me out.

[video=youtube;Mup4I0WotwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mup4I0WotwM[/video]

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

BFF's baby did that to me a couple weeks ago. I'm like hmmmmm the smell of calf poop (did you know baby poop smells just like baby calf poop?) is getting quite strong and she's made a lot of rumbly noises. Got on her clothes but not quite to mine.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
THIS 1000X

When we adopted our first four, one being three, was still, not even remotely, potty trained. We went out and bought a sh** load (pun intended) of matchbox cars...... it took a couple of months, but we went from trying everything, with no progress to using prizes and getting almost instant results. Take him to the store and let him pick out a bunch of inexpensive prizes that he can be excited about. When he finally doodies in the bathroom let him pick out a prize immediately. Also start out by making him try to go routinely, like every hour or two depending on how regular he is. Eventually you will hit paydirt and will be there for him to poop. When he finaly makes poop in the toilet, make the hugest deal out of it. Shower him with praise and high fives and hugs and kisses, and then put that prize bucket in front of him.

The Squinkies that Janny mentioned worked great as individual incentives. Then, when we made the switch to underwear all of the time, she got a Squinkie castle for one whole week dry. Those things only cost about $9 on Amazon, but it was a total motivator.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
BFF's baby did that to me a couple weeks ago. I'm like hmmmmm the smell of calf poop (did you know baby poop smells just like baby calf poop?) is getting quite strong and she's made a lot of rumbly noises. Got on her clothes but not quite to mine.

Baby calves smell better than other poo then! Unless your friend's baby is formula fed. (there is a smell difference)
I am glad that the noises are there! It is a good warning.

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
Both of my boys were close to 4 before they were fully potty trained. No amount of bribery or threats did any good. My youngest was supposed to be potty trained before starting preschool. He finally did it about 2 days before the first day of school.

I guess what I'm saying is be patient. It will happen eventually. Definitely before they're 5.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Baby calves smell better than other poo then! Unless your friend's baby is formula fed. (there is a smell difference)

Our calves (and this baby) are on milk, both a fairly sweet (but still icky!) smell.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Both of my boys were close to 4 before they were fully potty trained. No amount of bribery or threats did any good. My youngest was supposed to be potty trained before starting preschool. He finally did it about 2 days before the first day of school.

I guess what I'm saying is be patient. It will happen eventually. Definitely before they're 5.

Yeah, our child's birthday is in late summer, so just a few weeks before most preschools start (unless they're year-round). A few in Ames required not only full PT, but also wiping their own butts. I would like to vehemently express how poor barely-3-year-olds are at this particular endeavor.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA

Yes, we breastfeed and our babies poop tends to smell a bit like butter. Much better then the smell I remember my nephew having(formula fed) I highly recommend breast feeding for this reason alone! And another plus baby's that breast feed tend to suffer from diaper rash, much less.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yes, we breastfeed and our babies poop tends to smell a bit like butter. Much better then the smell I remember my nephew having(formula fed) I highly recommend breast feeding for this reason alone! And another plus baby's that breast feed tend to suffer from diaper rash, much less.

Kettle corn, to be exact. :smile: But just wait until you start solids. :no:

Reactions: cyrevkah

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA

I wish I could like this 1000x!

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Well this makes me feel better. He is incredibly stubborn and seems to make up his own mind on stuff. Bribes haven't work so far but maybe having him pick out some stuff he will get as a reward might help.

My guess is one day he'll just decide to do it and that will be that (I hope).

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Between the heating thread and this one, there are a lot of parents of young children on during the day.