When will my son stop crapping his pants?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I have the exact same problem. My son is almost 3.5. and we put him in preschool last week. Just sent him in his spiderman undies and he has not had a accident at school since he started. And the last couple days at home have gone great! he even went on his own last night without telling us.

Good luck. The light just has to click.

Sterling4Cy

Nov 13, 2006
We used the "potty fairy". no wet/dirty pants the next day when she woke up, bam! cheap dollar store toy. after a week bam! New doll.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
stop changing him, either go in the toilet or take care of it yourself. Or a spray bottle, spray him in the face and say no!

Just gonna say, I'm pretty sure that the first of these solutions could get you in trouble for child neglect, and I'd be curious if the second could get child abuse (since the lady was found guilty of it for using hot sauce on a tongue for swearing).

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Had my oldest boy completely trained at about two and a half, then his baby brother came along and he regressed until around his third birthday.

All of my boys would do about anything for a baseball card at a certain age, that was a fairly cheap bribe for a poop in the potty. I don't even know what three year old boys play with now, iPods or something? I am guessing bribery is more pricey now. And I never bribed with treats except for the dog.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
All of my boys would do about anything for a baseball card at a certain age, that was a fairly cheap bribe for a poop in the potty. I don't even know what three year old boys play with now, iPods or something? I am guessing bribery is more pricey now. And I never bribed with treats except for the dog.

god **** it

Last edited:

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Kettle corn, to be exact. :smile: But just wait until you start solids. :no:

LOL. You can be warned about that first poop after starting solids, but until you experience it, you have no idea. I swear to god that the paint in his room was dripping off the walls. The wife and I had to take turns wiping him so we only had to handle the smell in small doses. :eek:

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Just gonna say, I'm pretty sure that the first of these solutions could get you in trouble for child neglect, and I'd be curious if the second could get child abuse (since the lady was found guilty of it for using hot sauce on a tongue for swearing).

If putting hotsauce on a child's tounge for swearing is enough to be found guilty of child abuse then my parents would have probably gotten the death penalty.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If putting hotsauce on a child's tounge for swearing is enough to be found guilty of child abuse then my parents would have probably gotten the death penalty.

this so hard. My cousins make me sick with how pampered they are.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
Had my oldest boy completely trained at about two and a half, then his baby brother came along and he regressed until around his third birthday.

Potty training app? No?

Someone get on that.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I didn't classify it as a true blowout unless it reached the collar of his shirt in back. And yes, that happened once.

Oldest daughter hadn't gone in a week when she was about 5 months old. My wife was just freaking out about how long it had been. We were at the in-laws, and they had about twenty people over for lunch (Sunday dinner, as they call it). My daughter was in a bouncy chair, and all the sudden I noticed poop coming out around her collar, all the way around her neck. I don't think I will ever forget that image, and it's been 31 years.

Reactions: Angie

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Oldest daughter hadn't gone in a week when she was about 5 months old. My wife was just freaking out about how long it had been. We were at the in-laws, and they had about twenty people over for lunch (Sunday dinner, as they call it). My daughter was in a bouncy chair, and all the sudden I noticed poop coming out around her collar, all the way around her neck. I don't think I will ever forget that image, and it's been 31 years.

oh man that must have been a fun cleanup!

Straight into the shower(clothes and all)?

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
My son was around three. We waited to potty train until we were fully moved back to Iowa in a permanent location. They say not to start with other life events interrupting. Anyway, poo was scary to my li'l guy as well. He would sit on the big potty to pee. One day I told him to try and fart because it was a really cool sound. He started trying that and of course he dropped a deuce by accident. That freaked him out a little, but once it was done he was done wearing diapers.

Something to try.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN

WTF?!?!?!?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
My boys were both 3 1/2 (and one even a bit beyond that) before they finally made up their minds to do it. They're both very stubborn kids that just weren't going to do anything unless it was on their terms. Attempts at bribery did no good.

If you have the same experience we did, the good news is that once they did it, it was done - the switch was flipped and there were very few accidents and no going back.

But I sympathize. It's no fun at all.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
LOL. You can be warned about that first poop after starting solids, but until you experience it, you have no idea. I swear to god that the paint in his room was dripping off the walls. The wife and I had to take turns wiping him so we only had to handle the smell in small doses. :eek:

Yeah, you have to tag-team that ****. It's just disgusting. And no Diaper Genie in the world is good enough to contain that smell.

Here's the story - if I remember correctly, another form of discipline parents used to use a lot also got someone in trouble? Anyway: "Hot Sauce Mom" Charged with Child Abuse - CBS News