Whats up with all the charges?

TheAdmiral

Oct 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Across the board in College Basketball I've seen more charges called this year than in all other years combined. Was the charge one of their "focuses" this off-season or is the half circle just messing everything up?

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
I like Chris Mullen's take on the whole charge thing basically saying that it should all but be eliminated. It's not a "defensive play" to slide in front of a guy right before he takes off (or right after in some cases) and it just creates a danger to the players. I would like to see that "no charge" area extended quite a bit further out.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Across the board in College Basketball I've seen more charges called this year than in all other years combined. Was the charge one of their "focuses" this off-season or is the half circle just messing everything up?

Jay Bilas has been very critical of all the charge calls as well. It is just a way to get a great player, like Royce White, in foul trouble.

I think they should charge a foul to any defender who clearly flops; that should clear things up a bit. It is definitely something that college basketball needs to change as it really takes away from the flow of the game.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I feel like they've called a lot of charges on Royce just because he's big.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think the "charge line" half circle thing is a big reason. It seems like refs pay more attention to whether or not the defender is outside of that than if the play is a legit charge. I really don't have a problem if someone comes flying in from the outside and runs through a person but when moves are made in post it just gets ticky tack to me. When a beast like Royce makes a post move on a guy 20-30lbs lighter than him there is bound to be some contact, his weight/strength advantage is going exaggerate that and make the play look worse than it really was.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Royce does commit offensive fouls. He "hooks" his defender a lot of the time when he gets it on the block and wants to spin and always dips his shoulder when he goes to the rim...both are offensive fouls according to the rule book.

Another thing people need to figure out is that you don't have to be set to draw a charging call. As long as you have obtained legal guarding position you're good to go.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Royce does commit offensive fouls. He "hooks" his defender a lot of the time when he gets it on the block and wants to spin and always dips his shoulder when he goes to the rim...both are offensive fouls according to the rule book.

Another thing people need to figure out is that you don't have to be set to draw a charging call. As long as you have obtained legal guarding position you're good to go.

While true, I rarely ever see someone draw a charge without being "set".

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I absolutely hate when refs call a charge when a player is staring to take off to the basket and then a defensive player slides in and takes a charge. How is a players supposed to change his course once he starts to go up. It is ridiculous.

I also can't stand the flop. With a guy as big as Royce, flopping and getting a charge call is pretty easy because refs see how strong he is and if someone falls they just assume Royce bulled is way into them. I agree that if there is an obvious flop it should be called a foul on the defense. I hate when a guy flops and the refs don't call anything. If there was contact and its not a charge then call a foul on the defense.

TheAdmiral

Oct 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Such a terrible charge call. It completely takes away the impact Royce should have down low. If teams aren't strong enough to guard him with their backs to the basket, they should have to double him or front him, which would open things up for the lob, or a pass to the weakside. Instead, they bail them out with a charge call and they can continue to play Royce straight up. Just terrible.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
You also see the opposite with royce in that sometimes he gets hit but no foul is called. And I think it is because he is so strong and big that sometimes there will be contact but it doesn't look like it because it doesn't affect his shot. The contact sometimes doesn't throw him off, he just powers through it.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Totally agree. I hate the charge call. It completely needs to go. It is the number one thing that makes basketball unwatchable at times.

Call a player control foul. I get that.

But NEVER call it if the defender is trying to draw it in any way.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I absolutely hate when refs call a charge when a player is staring to take off to the basket and then a defensive player slides in and takes a charge. How is a players supposed to change his course once he starts to go up. It is ridiculous.

I also can't stand the flop. With a guy as big as Royce, flopping and getting a charge call is pretty easy because refs see how strong he is and if someone falls they just assume Royce bulled is way into them. I agree that if there is an obvious flop it should be called a foul on the defense. I hate when a guy flops and the refs don't call anything. If there was contact and its not a charge then call a foul on the defense.

Not all contact is a foul.

And if Royce tries to clear with his shoulder into a defender between him and the hoop, by rule it IS a charge.

The biggest bull **** foul is the foul where shooter pump fakes, defender jumps straight up and then shooter jumps into defender and gets a bail out whistle. Either no foul or offensive....can't be a body foul on the defender.

TheAdmiral

Oct 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN

I agree, but normally they are when he starts at the top of the key and wants to drive to the rim. When he catches a post entry pass and takes a power dribble and the defender tries to body him up but cant... that shouldn't be a charge.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
The biggest bull **** foul is the foul where shooter pump fakes, defender jumps straight up and then shooter jumps into defender and gets a bail out whistle. Either no foul or offensive....can't be a body foul on the defender.

Page got rewarded for this last night, ****** me off pretty badly.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Was the second call on Royce last night a charge or did the call him for hooking? I was pretty confused by that call as I didn't see too much, but then a gain my seat is in the upper balcony.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
This. Commentators don't understand this and never explain it right.

How I was taught to officiate this by a D-I official is, if the contact occurs in the middle of the defender's chest, it's a charge. Anywhere else (shoulder/side) then the defender is not completely in front of the offensive player, therefore, not in legal guarding position and it's a block.

I've had pretty good luck sticking with these guidelines over the years and not taken much heat for calling it that way.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Anything that would eliminate flopping would be fine with me, up to an including the death penalty.
I don't know if college has the same rule, but high school rules you can actually T someone up for flopping. I can tell you I've never even heard of it being called. Quite honestly though, as an official, I wish they'd make it a point of emphasis, say to officials if guys have clearly been coached to flop warn them once and after that it's T and it will only work if EVERYONE calls it that way.

I hate when I'm working a game and a kid flops three feet before contact and then his coach wants a charge. If it happens 2-3 times you KNOW they've been coached to do it that way. But I'm not going to be the Lone Ranger and start T'ing people up for flopping unless they really make it a POE.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Was the second call on Royce last night a charge or did the call him for hooking? I was pretty confused by that call as I didn't see too much, but then a gain my seat is in the upper balcony.
It was actually the correct call. Royce shoved the guy back and that created the space for his shot. I've seen much worse, but RW's action with his arms is what opened him for the shot, and if you're talking Advantage-Disadvantage, the shove did create an advantage for RW.