What TV show are you streaming right now?

zumbro clones

Jan 31, 2007
Southern Minnesota
Started watching "Valley of Tears" on HBO. It's about the Yom Kippur War from the Israeli point of view. I'm a couple of shows in and it seems like a Band of Brothers type of show so far. Pretty good but you need to turn on subtitles ... they are speaking in Hebrew, Arabic, and English so far.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart (after 3 eps, all in for us)
Special Ops: Lioness (be aware, hard to watch)

Finished: HiJack (strong recommendation)
Just started watching Lioness this week, about 3 or 4 episodes in and I think it's pretty good. Like some of Taylor Sheridan's other shows it can be graphic at times but it's another well produced show I think.

Looking forward to watching his next new show Bass Reeves next month. Also just finished up watch Silo and that was pretty good. Took a bit to build the plot but the last 3rd of the season really moved along a lot faster. It's crazy how the writers strike has turned me to watching more streaming content lately due to the lack of new content from major networks and have found a lot of good shows I wish I had found sooner.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I'm halfway through S2 of For All Mankind on AppleTV+. It took me a long time to get into it, but now I'm hooked.

Premise is an alternate history where the Soviets were first to land a man on the moon. The US responds by investing heavily in the space/moon program. S1 takes place in the 60s-70s and S2 is late-70s/80s. Created by Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica). They just wrapped filming of S4.
I watched most of the first season of that show. It felt less like an alternative history and more like an alternative reality to me from how advanced the Soviets are. Cool premise, but I wish it had delved into the Soviets more. It used the alt history to spotlight issues in American history (sexism, racism, perceived war crimes) while leaving what little perception of the Soviets you get as a technologically advanced, morally just, bordering on aspirational society. I’m sure it’s narratively justifiable but personally I think we (the west) don’t give ourselves enough credit, at least compared to the authoritarian east. There are several good reasons we won the Cold War and the show doesn’t display any of them.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
We've been watching Breaking Bad all over again. Almost like watching for the first time. After Better Call Saul, it's like we totally forgot what happened in Breaking Bad. Except what happens to Gus. That we remembered!

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Watched the first 4 of 8 episodes of Bodies on Netflix last night. Definitely interesting. One of those that I don't think I can say if it's good or not until the conclusion. Right now there are a ton of pieces on the table, looking forward to the final 4 episodes to see how they bring it all together.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Watched the first 4 of 8 episodes of Bodies on Netflix last night. Definitely interesting. One of those that I don't think I can say if it's good or not until the conclusion. Right now there are a ton of pieces on the table, looking forward to the final 4 episodes to see how they bring it all together.
I read about that, but thought my wife might not like the jumping back and forth between time periods. Does it do a good job of keeping things on track, or does it get confusing at times?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I read about that, but thought my wife might not like the jumping back and forth between time periods. Does it do a good job of keeping things on track, or does it get confusing at times?
I really don't like those that jump around or have flashbacks... but this seems to do a decent job with it so far. It basically spends like 15 mins on one of the 4 years, jumps to the next for a similar context, to the next, etc. It was way more mental energy than I was looking to use last night. I'll push through because the concept is pretty cool.

• Informative

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Finished Bodies on Netflix. I have mixed feelings. Really good casting and acting. Unique and creative storyline. Maybe a tad too much on the drama side and not enough on the thriller side. Felt like it more it could have delivered.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Started watching The Orville (season 1) this week. Not bad. Does it get better in later seasons?

I'd say so. Especially if you've just watched the first few episodes. Early on it tilts heavily towards the family guy-style comedy, it gets more like star trek as it goes on.

Reactions: zumbro clones

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
The Fall of the House of Usher was excellent. An iconic story well told. Also really well acted.

After watching The Fall of the House of Usher I started a rewatch of the Haunting of Hill House. Mike Flanagan is just so amazing at telling these stories. His entire catalog on Netflix is amazing with the Bly House, Midnight Mass, and the Midnight Club.

I can't wait to see his take on the Gunslinger on Amazon when it's done.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
After watching The Fall of the House of Usher I started a rewatch of the Haunting of Hill House. Mike Flanagan is just so amazing at telling these stories. His entire catalog on Netflix is amazing with the Bly House, Midnight Mass, and the Midnight Club.

I'm hoping that this gets my wife to watch that. She wasn't pretty meh on it and we only lasted one episode. May just not have struck her at the time.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Agreed. Fall of the House of Usher was really good. Love Flanagan's stuff. Must see Halloween viewing imo

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
On Netflix, just watched "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar", a story by Roald Dahl, marvelously read and acted by Ralph Fiennes, Dev Patel (yup, "Slumdog Millionaire" and "Lion", but not the drug-pushing neighbor pharmacist on "Happy Valley"), Ben Kingsley, and Benedict Cumberbatch, directed by Wes Craven. A marvel also for the set décor and scenography. If you loved "The Hotel Budapest", you and your older kids will enjoy this short film.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina

I think I missed this announcement. Is Amazon expecting to do the entire Dark Tower series?

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
There is nothing 'Formal' yet, but so much smoke. Amazon signed a contract with Flanagan and his company, and right before Amazon signed him, Flanagan's production company signed the TV rights to the Gunslinger from Stephen King.

King adores how well Flanagan interprets his work to the screen so I'm really hoping this 'smoke' leads to what I've been waiting for for years.

Last edited:

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

just wrapping up midnight mass, too

Reactions: tzjung

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron