What if an EMP detonated above the USA?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I dunno about you, but I'm just going to soil myself New Year's Eve of 2011. Just to get that out of the way.

I just told a buddy that Im quiting my IT job before then. I dont want to deal with it. He said he is going to quit his job and sell guns. Thinks a profit would be had. I figure someone with a gun would just shoot him and take his stash.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
My bad, YOU da man!

Do you think humans are the only living creatures affected by this emp stuff? Everything else lives, we die? i don't honestly know, i didn't bother reading the sqauk's link.

It only effects electronics so unless bambi is rolling with a walkman I think they will be ok.

Like a poster below says - I would kind of like no technology and no reason to have to go to work.

Hell I am working now so I can retire to hunt and fish all the time anyway.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I dont understand alot about this stuff. Since an EMP can effect electrical current, could it also have an effect on living creatures since we all have an electrical system somewhat in our bodies? Not saying we would die or anything, but could it briefly mess with our brain and make use **** ourselves?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This is no joke. Two detonations well placed off each coast would destroy our country and economy. Now that is why we do not want NK to have rogue missiles firing at us. That is why missile defense is a critical go/no go. It would take years to recover from such a catastrophe. This is no joke.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It only effects electronics so unless bambi is rolling with a walkman I think they will be ok.

Like a poster below says - I would kind of like no technology and no reason to have to go to work.

Hell I am working now so I can retire to hunt and fish all the time anyway.

The fiberoptic lines for the interent would be about the only thing not blown out.

No cars with computers, no computers, no electrical substations, no power for farm irrigation systems, no televisions, no radios, no clocks, no blackberries, no cellphones, no air condtiioning, no jobs, no work. Is that a good start?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
The loss of communication would be what sets everyone off. Isolation is scary to some folks.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
This is no joke. Two detonations well placed off each coast would destroy our country and economy. Now that is why we do not want NK to have rogue missiles firing at us. That is why missile defense is a critical go/no go. It would take years to recover from such a catastrophe. This is no joke.

This much fear put into one post=joke. :wink:

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I dont understand alot about this stuff. Since an EMP can effect electrical current, could it also have an effect on living creatures since we all have an electrical system somewhat in our bodies? Not saying we would die or anything, but could it briefly mess with our brain and make use **** ourselves?

you mean like some sort of "brown noise"?

recorder_m4.jpg

smittyclone

Jul 9, 2009

One in DC would save our country and economy:yes:.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
This, while theoretical, is pretty scary: LINK

Yes, very scary, and the ultimate outcome of a nuclear winter is very vividly dramatized in "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy; he is the author of "No Country for Old Men," which won some awards last year. All the fears and more expressed in the link article are depicted in "The Road." Happy reading.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Yes, very scary, and the ultimate outcome of a nuclear winter is very vividly dramatized in "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy; he is the author of "No Country for Old Men," which won some awards last year. All the fears and more expressed in the link article are depicted in "The Road." Happy reading.

Sorry, I meant the film made from "No Country for Old Men" won some awards.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
It would not be quite as devastating as an EMF going off over the U.S.

I beg to differ. EMF going of over the U.S. would make the scene in "The Day After" look like a trip to Disneyland.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron