What does ISU bring to a BCS conference

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
With realignment a burning topic, I tire of the media stating ISU brings nothing to a BCS conference. It is one thing to hear it from uninformed media type but to hear fellow Cyclones make that statement is crazy. Here is what ISU brings to the table and why ISU will always be in a BCS conference
What does ISU offer a BCS conference you ask?

1) 3 million+ people. Not a major TV market but a very good chunk of people and more than a lot of other teams that are currently in BCS conferences. And definitely more than some teams that people feel we should pursue for the Big 12. Some might argue that ISU doesn't bring the whole state but I would argue they do but that is another discussion.
2) A healthy athletic budget- Is it a big budget when compared to Big 12/SEC/big 10 teams?...No. But when you compare it to other BCS conference like the Big East/ACC and the PAC 12 we are average. YES, AVERAGE!!!!! When all the the new TV money is thrown in, ISU would be right in the middle of the ACC. Right in the middle of the PAC 12 and near the top of the Big East.
3) Healthy attendance levels- ISU continues to show that their attendance levels are stable. Our fans are not fair weather fans that bolt when the team is down. Our football attendance would be 4th in the Big East, 4-5th in the ACC, 7th in the PAC 12. MBB we were 28th out of 100 schools and we were a .500 team. WBB is one of the attendance leaders. Fact is we are a stable fan base that delivers year in and year out. It is consistency with great growth possibilities in a inconsistent economy.
4) Facilities- While our football stadium needs a south bowl, our facilities are along the lines of a BCS school. I believe it was David Irving who said ISU has as good of facilities as any school he visited including USC. We hear that from other recruits as well. Yes, we have a ways to go and no we will never catch the big boys but we have BCS facilities and are making progress towards getting better. Our IPF is second to none as is the student resource center. A new football only facility puts us in line with the bigger boys and ahead of other schools. The scoreboard is phenomenal. WBB/MBB has Hilton and the Sukkup facility. The new football only facility makes things better for non revenue sports by opening up the Jacobsen Building. Etc, etc, etc
5) Academics- Yes, I know this doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things(can't believe I said that, how pathetic is our society) but the NCAA is starting to really break down hard on academics. Schools that don't graduate their students are going to see penalties while schools with good graduation rates, like ISU, are sitting well to take advantage. I also feel the Presidents are tiring of realignment crapola and are going to step in more and more. Our research grants speak for them selves and will continue. We are in the AAU and we won't get kicked out anytime soon
6) Lack of success/success- While we do not have a lot of success in football, we have in other sports. We strengthen non revenue sports competition. Our basketball programs are solid. In the end, no conference wants a conference full of Alabama/Texas/tOSU/Oregon. Conferences don't mind having a program or two that are perceived as easy victories.

In the end, ISU brings a ton to a BCS conference. Our strong attendance numbers despite a lack of success really demonstrates a consistent market. One that will not turn a TV off because of a loss. It demonstrates ISU's ability to deliver the state of Iowa as a market. People that have the WOE IS ME attitude about our budget/attendance/facilities have never stopped and looked at the budgets and attendance numbers for conference members in the PAC 12/ACC/Big East. We fit right in those conferences. Some have nicer stadiums but we have better facilities. We are a middle of the pack BCS conference member in every way shape or form.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'll agree with all but the first point. Iowa has 3 million people, but how many are cyclone fans. There are many more Iowa than ISU fans in this state.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Posted this in the A&M leaving thread:

National team titles by institutionSchool - Number - NCAA Championships (while members of the Big 12)

Oklahoma State - 50 - NCAA(50)
Texas - 48 - NCAA(40)
Oklahoma - 25 - NCAA(18)
Iowa State - 19 - NCAA(14)
Texas A&M - 14 - NCAA(13)
Kansas - 12 - NCAA(10)
Baylor - 2 - NCAA(2)
Missouri - 2 - NCAA(2)
Texas Tech - 1 - NCAA(1)
Kansas State - 0 - NCAA(0)

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I'll agree with all but the first point. Iowa has 3 million people, but how many are cyclone fans. There are many more Iowa than ISU fans in this state.

Enough in all parts of the state to demand their cable providers carry whatever network has ISU on it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Enough in all parts of the state to demand their cable providers carry whatever network has ISU on it.

But if the conference doesnt have a unified network, its all about ratings.

Only the big 10 has such a network arrangement so far. And it doesnt need ISU because it already has Iowa.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

This would be the only point that could be argued. Simple fact is the state of Iowa is a college sports state. While hoks have a larger fanbase, there is interest in both programs throughout the state. ISU fans watch iowa, iowa fans watch ISU. I use my family as an example. They are hok fans from eastern Iowa but will watch ISU and cheer for ISU when they play anyone else.

I do not like iowa. I cheer for them to lose. At the same time, this week I watched replays of iowa playing NW, Arizona, and Wisconsin because they were on TV. Of course, I am hungry for football but I still watched. I know plenty of hok fans that watch and cheer for both teams.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think most Iowan sports fans tune in to ISU football games, even if they're Iowa fans.

I watch Iowa when they're on. Always curious to see how they end up doing. Most Hawk fans I know do the same with ISU.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I think most Iowan sports fans tune in to ISU football games, even if they're Iowa fans.

I watch Iowa when they're on. Always curious to see how they end up doing. Most Hawk fans I know do the same with ISU.
This is true. I know a Hawk fan that would die for U of I(literally) and I know he watches ISU when they are on.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!

As we learned last year, it's not about fans but number of TV sets. The number still applies for potential TV sets and/or cable/satellite subscribers.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
As we learned last year, it's not about fans but number of TV sets. The number still applies for potential TV sets and/or cable/satellite subscribers.

As i said above, that only matters when you have a conference network that gets its money purely off of subscriberships. Since only the big 10 has that, and the big 10 already has iowa, it goes back to purely 'how many will watch', not 'how many does their state have'

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I don't think ISU has had a lack of success. We've been to six bowl games in the last ten years and won three. Sure they have been low caliber bowls, but I think appearing in the post season 60% of the time is not a bad track record. If you want to talk about "lack of success" talk about Baylor or Duke.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
As i said above, that only matters when you have a conference network that gets its money purely off of subscriberships. Since only the big 10 has that, and the big 10 already has iowa, it goes back to purely 'how many will watch', not 'how many does their state have'
It relies on the ability to deliver a market. The state of Iowa is a market and ISU and iowa both deliver the market as a whole.

The problem people like the media have is they say the big 10 doesn't want ISU because they already have those TV sets. Correct but no other BCS conference has Iowa in their market. So it is how does ISU help another conference and do they pay for themselves.

You are also looking at the "right now." Well right now, ISU is in the Big 12. What I am looking at is the future if the Big 12 goes away. If the Big 12 goes away, then there will be a lot of things going on. The Big East will be starting their own network. The PAC 12 already is, etc, etc.

Many people look at this completely wrong. they compare ISU to larger markets and the big boys but they shouldn't. ISU brings the exact same thing as schools like ASU, CU, Oregon State, West Virgina, etc. They bring much more than schools like UConn, Cincy, USF, Washington St, Utah, Rutgers, Syracuse, etc. That is where the comparison needs to be drawn.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I don't think ISU has had a lack of success. We've been to six bowl games in the last ten years and won three. Sure they have been low caliber bowls, but I think appearing in the post season 60% of the time is not a bad track record. If you want to talk about "lack of success" talk about Baylor or Duke.

Not appearing in a bowl game every year defines lack of success. A bowl game should not be a goal but an expectation in this day and age. There are just too many bowl games

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I somewhat disagree. It matters what cable/providers you can deliver. Cable/providers are determined by market demand and they pay the networks. If the providers feel the demand, they pay. IMO the demand would be there

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I somewhat disagree. It matters what cable/providers you can deliver. Cable/providers are determined by market demand and they pay the networks. If the providers feel the demand, they pay. IMO the demand would be there

But if the conference has no unified network there is no 'delivering of markets' to a conference network. ESPN\Fox\FSN\etc are everywhere, and then it falls back to ratings.