Wednesday OT - How musically inclined are you?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I played trombone through Jr year of HS and hated every minute of it. Parents made me. I kick serious *** on the drums on Rock Band though. So I got that going for me...which is nice.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
13 years of piano, played french horn and trumpet as well throughout school. Was pretty average at the last 2, piano is my thing.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
Bucket would not help me. Thankfully my folks never pushed it either. Dad was content to let me make my music with golf clubs.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Lol, how can you take piano lessons for 10 years and not know how to read music?

i watched her fingers play and just regurgitated that. when she died and i got a new teacher the new teacher made me play something before he would show me. i was busted and my parents were so mad. so i convinced them to let me quit and i started playing drums.

now i can play those and guitar quite well and still don't know how to read music.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I played saxophone for a few years and was a "natural" but didn't want to practice so I quit. Self taught on how to play the guitar, ukulele and banjo. Learn a lot of my stuff by ear, so half of the time I don't even know what chords I'm playing. I wouldn't say I'm great or even good, but decent enough where I can play in crowds if I'm drunk enough.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
i watched her fingers play and just regurgitated that. when she died and i got a new teacher the new teacher made me play something before he would show me. i was busted and my parents were so mad. so i convinced them to let me quit and i started playing drums.

now i can play those and guitar quite well and still don't know how to read music.

So you are this guy, but with a piano?

Drumline.jpg

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I played trombone from 5th grade through my freshman year of college, but wasn't in the marching band in college. I also started learning the bagpipes my freshman year of college so I've been playing them for about 2.5 years. But I'd still say that I'm not musically inclined. Especially on the bagpipes.

How can you tell? ;)

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I can rock the cowbell !

I've only received formal training at the trumpet, which I played for about 4 years as a kid. I doubt that I remember anything besides taps anymore. I can play a few things on the harmonica. I taught myself top hand on the piano and can get about anything by ear still. My left hand doesn't want to cooperate though.

I've been very slowly teaching myself the guitar, but it takes a lot more time than I have right now to get good at it so it'll likely be many many years of baby steps.

I've got a decent enough voice. I've subbed in our church choir as a bass, baritone and tenor. My whole family grew up being not afraid to sing, which is half the battle (sometimes more) for a lot of people.

I was lead singer in a band for awhile. We had a few decent gigs lined up before our bassist and lead guitarist's (they were brothers) father passed and they ended up moving away. One of my biggest regrets was never making it to the stage with them. It was all original stuff and I thought it was pretty solid. I still enjoy writing lyrics and singing a lot. There are a few guys that I will just sit with and do some accoustic jams with still.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Somewhat musically inclined. I play both guitar and bass, although I'm much better at bass - good enough to play at a rather large church. My singing is okay, but I'm limited by how deep of a bass my singing voice is - when singing to the radio I have to drop everything I sing at least one octave. Reading music is a weakness of mine - I'm good with a rhythm chart and can use actual music as a rhythm chart as well, but I can't read the notes while I'm playing, although I am getting closer to this.

Really wish I had taken music much more seriously in school. I could have been a very talented musician, because I became decent on my own study. Instead, all my friends were in study hall and I rather foolishly wanted to spend time with them.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I played the saxophone from 5th grade until my junior year at ISU (only the marching band). I was a very decent player in my small high school, did concert band and jazz band. I also sang and was good enough to do high school musicals. But not great by any means.

Hubby is more musically inclined than me. He also payed the saxophone (we met at ISU in the marching band). He was drum major in HS and made All State jazz band. He played marching band and pep band at ISU, was drum major his last two years in band.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Been playing bass since about 5th grade. Played in Iowa State's Jazz Ensemble as an undergrad. Played in rock, country, and blues bands over the years. Played in a ragtime trio on the Goldenrod riverboat in St. Louis. Have 3 professional cds that I've played on (the latest being released next month). Getting ready to go into the studio for another project this month. Playing is the one thing that has been a constant throughout my life. My best friend paid me the best compliment when he said "I can play the notes, but you make music."

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I'm the voice of this generation, or at least that's what Kanye told me.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I took piano for about 4 years, played flute from 5-12th grades (and piccolo 11-12th grades), plus one year in marching band at Iowa State. I also sang in choir through high school and made All State my senior year. I can still read music, and can pick up a melody fairly quickly. Our school may have been on the small side, but we had excellent music teachers - both band and vocal.

Our oldest just just started piano this year (he's in 2nd grade), and he does fairly well. He has always been able to pick out a melody by ear and can sing well when he wants. Our daughter can't carry a tune to save her soul, but she is definitely an enthusiastic singer.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Took piano lessons for probably 10 years as a kid. Was fairly good but haven't touched a piano in 20 years. I tried band in 8th grade I think on drums and sucked, lasted 1 week, told I wasn't cut out for band so that was that. So no I have no musical skills what so ever. The only thing I remember about piano lessons was the lady who taught me was we got little statues of classical pianists statues when we accomplished something. I know I had about 10 little classical composure statues at one point in my life. I kinda wish I could play the piano again but meh, whatever.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Played 8 yrs of piano, 5 years of drums and 15+ of guitar off and on. Played in a few bands, played solo shows, played a couple weddings, and now mostly just play for church. If anyone in the Ankeny area wants to get something going PM me.

Help Support Us

Become a patron