Wednesday OT - How musically inclined are you?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Took piano for 3 years and play the drums.

Haven't seriously played for awhile and my set is collecting dust at my parents house. My mom said she wants to sell it, I told her she better not. I'm excited to get my own house and start jamming again.

Side story: one time back in college, some friends and I were at Paddy's and there was some cover band there. The drummer needed a break so I stepped in and got to play "Shook me all night long" with them. An easy song to play on drums, but when you're drunk as hell, I even impressed myself jumping in and not missing a single beat. Even managed to break a stick, playing in a fit of rage.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
On a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being that Friday chick and 10 being Mozart, I'm hovering around a negative 4.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I was a member of the ISU Marching Band back in college! :yes:
(I also play piano and wrote a couple songs for my wedding and a friend's wedding).

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I took guitar lessons for about six months before I came to terms with the fact that I'll never be a rock star. I did ok reading the sheet music, but once the instructor started getting into how to play up and down the neck I was lost.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Lol, how can you take piano lessons for 10 years and not know how to read music?

That's piaNo, I said piani!

hqdefault.jpg

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Very! I took voice for about 10 years, piano for 3. My mom and teacher mercifully let me stop piano after that - I can still play the songs I learned, but learning them was a *****. I could play things in the key of C or D, but the more black keys that got added in, the worse I got, lol! It was probably a lot to do with having small hands and it being physically hard to play things that required more dexterity. Of course now I wish I could play, but I think my cousin got all the piano playing skills (seriously, he could play Fur Elise flawlessly at 10 years old - he was a prodigy and got invited to some kid's music academy, but didn't want to stick with it).

Sang at a few weddings, made All-State, got a regional award nomination for my role in our musical senior year. I was home schooled so after a neighboring district made a rule change, I was able to attend their high school (where my voice teacher taught) for musicals, solo & group contest, IMEA stuff. That's how I met my husband :) Was in the women's audition-only choir at ISU for two years until judging conflicted with it.

Thought pretty seriously about going to college for music until I realized that I'd probably make no money and I didn't want to be a teacher, which is the common fallback. Now I'm mostly a shower singer and wannabe Voice judge. That's probably the biggest thing I picked up from all the years of lessons - I'm a pitch nazi now!

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I played trombone from 5th grade through my freshman year of college, but wasn't in the marching band in college. I also started learning the bagpipes my freshman year of college so I've been playing them for about 2.5 years. But I'd still say that I'm not musically inclined. Especially on the bagpipes.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Why spend so much time on piano lessons, how hard can it be? Especially if you're playing Erik Satie...

[video=youtube_share;v0zgQAp7EYw]http://youtu.be/v0zgQAp7EYw[/video]

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I can whistle the intro to GnR's Patience with the best of them.

That's pretty much all I got.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I was a thoroughly mediocre trombonist in high school and haven't played much at all since. Singing wise I made the good choir in high school and got some small singing solo/ singing parts in the musicals we did. Generally hear compliments when I do sing but I personally can't stand to listen to a recording of me or watch a performance I'm in.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
My music experience includes playing the recorder in 4th grade and playing the trombone for one year in fifth grade, then I quit because the teacher sucked and band wasn't cool.
Sounds exactly my experience but I played the trumpet. Absolutely hated it.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Played Cornet in the Elementary and Jr. High Band, but quit in the 8th grade. Just not enough drive or care to be better. I was more interested learning or playing something in the current music scene and the teachers were NOT! and I mean NOT! It was the 60's, so it's not like I was so wrong.

I can basically pick out the treble notes from sheet music on the keyboard if I work at it and could eventually probably play anything if not too long or too complex, if given enough time to work it out and practice. Which would drive anyone who had the misfortune to hear me 100 percent bonkers.

I've actually considered trying that chord and melody piano method that has been featured on Public TV a couple of times. Anybody here done that?

I guess if I could just sit down and play, maybe, "Let It Be" satisfactorily - at any/some random keyboard I encountered - I'd be pretty stoked.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Musicality Level: Band Geek

Started taking organ lessons at 6, following in the footsteps of my two older siblings. Because I had heard them practice all of the songs before, multiple times, I was able to play the first few lesson books completely by ear. I soared past my sister who had been playing for 3 years already. My teacher challenged me with some new books that I hadn't heard before and I got pretty good. Sadly I stopped playing in Jr High and would have a tough time playing any keyboard instrument now.

In 5th grade I started playing the baritone in band. In high school I also played the tuba and picked up the trombone for jazz band. I did well in state solo and ensemble contests, and played solos for our jazz band in state championships (highest we placed was 9th).
I also took guitar lessons for a few years in high school but got too busy to keep it up. I can probably still play tabs though.

In college I played in both jazz 2 and 1 playing both trombone and bass trombone. I played tuba in multiple wind ensembles. I played sousaphone for one year in marching band and then switched to marching baritone which was more fun. I also played baritone in the mens and womens basketball pep bands.

I was a member of Colts Drum and Bugle Corps in 2000 and 2001 playing the contrabass (tuba).

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I was a thoroughly mediocre trombonist in high school and haven't played much at all since. Singing wise I made the good choir in high school and got some small singing solo/ singing parts in the musicals we did. Generally hear compliments when I do sing but I personally can't stand to listen to a recording of me or watch a performance I'm in.

It's a special form of torture to watch yourself perform. It's like hearing a recording of your voice while just talking. It just sounds so different from how you hear yourself in your head.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Did choir thru middle school and freshman year in high school.

Really wish I could learn the banjo and or fiddle.