We may end up staying at 10 teams

C

Cyclone42

I think the threads about who to add to get back to 12 teams are moot. From what I have seen, the coaches appear to be completely happy to be at 10 teams, and we may stay at 10 teams. As I said in another thread, it greatly simplifies things for just about every sport, especially football and basketball. Everybody plays every team every year in football, and every team twice in basketball. Also, the coaches did not appear to like the football championship game much, anyway.

This link is about basketball. I saw something similar about football, I just don't have a link.

Frank Martin discusses new Big 12 | Campus Corner

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I think the threads about who to add to get back to 12 teams are moot. From what I have seen, the coaches appear to be completely happy to be at 10 teams, and we may stay at 10 teams. As I said in another thread, it greatly simplifies things for just about every sport, especially football and basketball. Everybody plays every team every year in football, and every team twice in basketball. Also, the coaches did not appear to like the football championship game much, anyway.

This link is about basketball. I saw something similar about football, I just don't have a link.

Frank Martin discusses new Big 12 | Campus Corner
The Big 12 needs to rebuild first before looking to expand. Then the conference can look to expand again after getting healthy again.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I hope we stay at 10 and the new agreement keeps it that way (but I'm sure I could get excited about certain additions).

State4good

Jan 6, 2010
Macomb Ill
i don't know who true this is but i heard the big 12 is gonna offer BYU and Air Force spots in the conference. I heard it on ESPN radio today. I don't remember who was saying it, but they claimed it was a done almost a done deal. They claimed to have gotten their info from some oklahoma newspaper

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'd rather be at 12, but more importantly, id rather be at 8 conference games. Losing that 1 easy nonconference game, when we play a top BCS team every year in our nonconference, is a big loss to take.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
i don't know who true this is but i heard the big 12 is gonna offer BYU and Air Force spots in the conference. I heard it on ESPN radio today. I don't remember who was saying it, but they claimed it was a done almost a done deal. They claimed to have gotten their info from some oklahoma newspaper

While the idea makes a ton of sense to me (both have national audiences and could bring a lot to the big 12), i think it started getting reported when it was posted on an austin radio station's twitter account that got hacked.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I think it was addressed earlier today on here.......sounds like someone hacked someone's twitter account or something and got off some fake info.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
The question I have not heard asked yet is do Texas and Oklahoma have to come north in November now? They used to keep the in division games in November, now there is no divisions so should be no excuses and make the schedules random except maybe a rivalry game the last week each year.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
This helps football recruiting. You will play 4 Texas schools every year. Recruits will be able to play in Texas twice a year. It's a big selling point.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The question I have not heard asked yet is do Texas and Oklahoma have to come north in November now? They used to keep the in division games in November, now there is no divisions so should be no excuses and make the schedules random except maybe a rivalry game the last week each year.

It will be interesting to see who emerges as our strongest Big XII rival.

Mizzou has KU
KU has Mizzou and K-State
K-State has KU
Texas has aTm and OU
aTm has Texas
OU has Texas and OSU
OSU has OU
aTm has Texas
Tech has Texas
Baylor has ???

I could see the Mizzou thing developing more or I could see "Farmagedon" growing in importance as each team would see the game as a "must win" each year.

CF_Cyclone

Mar 31, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA
From what I hear they are going with 10 teams for the foreseeable future, that way they can keep the payout per team up where it is. In their talks it was determined adding teams would not enough value to increase the total payout and would thus diminish the payout per team. Also, the coaches are not in favor of a championship game so that is not a driver.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis

I agree 100%. This will be one of those "little things" that will tell us whether Texas has given up a little bit of their control. I also hope we get lucky and can have our home games with Texas and Oklahoma in alternative years.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I'm looking forward to an 18 game conference basketball schedule, and I think this can only help ISU football in the long run. All in all, I'm happy with 10. However, to keep this from happening again, the big12 might want to be the people who do the poaching the next time around.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
This helps football recruiting. You will play 4 Texas schools every year. Recruits will be able to play in Texas twice a year. It's a big selling point.

I'm hoping we get a nice mix of Texas, Oklahoma and the other schools as far as the home and away schedules. Something like:

Home - Year One
OU
A&M
Baylor
KU

Home - Year Two
OSU
Texas
TT
KSU
Mizzou

Add Iowa to our home schedule in Year 1 and we would be set.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron