We Aren't a Lock for the Tourney Yet

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
ISU needs at least one more win to be assured a place in the tournament. I don't care how weak people perceive the bubble to be or how strong the next 3-4 teams we play are, the selection committee isn't going to look kindly on a team that has lost 4 straight games and 5 out of 6, with the lone win being against the worst team in the conference. If ISU loses it's next four games I guarantee the committee finds a way to keep the Cyclones at home.

Nihawk

Nov 3, 2009
A 9-7 Iowa team got passed over by Indiana even though they swept Indiana that year.

I may have the actual numbers incorrect but they got jumped.

I remember that very well. 1998. TD was then given one more year.
One more win and Clone are in. 0 wins and they may get in, but I would not want to take my chances. Baylor is best chance for win.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
And some people are too old or feable to remember how the selection committee works.

You all feel free to sweat it out and freak out like children after ISU drops a game, which in reality would be the absolute norm around here.

Please explain how the selection committee works that would guarantee that we would be in if we lost our last four games. Like I said, I don't think that will happen, but if it does, I find it unlikely that we'll be in.

Maybe its changed recently, but how a team finishes the season used to be a fairly significant factor in deciding between bubble teams.

And lastly, I haven't seen anyone "freaking out like children", except perhaps those that are adamant that we are already a lock.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Please explain how the selection committee works that would guarantee that we would be in if we lost our last four games. Like I said, I don't think that will happen, but if it does, I find it unlikely that we'll be in.

Maybe its changed recently, but how a team finishes the season used to be a fairly significant factor in deciding between bubble teams.

And lastly, I haven't seen anyone "freaking out like children", except perhaps those that are adamant that we are already a lock.

You clearly have an internet connection, find it for yourself.

They look at the entire body of work. Losing games in which you aren't favored to win, especially on the road, doesn't have much of an effect no matter what part of the season it occurs.

If you haven't seen anyone "freaking out like children" on www.CycloneFanatic.com you either haven't been paying any attention or you are one.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
And some people are too old or feable to remember how the selection committee works.

You all feel free to sweat it out and freak out like children after ISU drops a game, which in reality would be the absolute norm around here.

Look at our resume'. It's not that impressive. That's how it works. Relying on lack of other good resume's isn't the way to go. It very well may work but it's not a great plan.

I'm not freaking out but if we don't win one more game there's reason for concern. I personally think we'll make Baylor our ***** and it will all be moot.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
With only two quality wins and none on the road we absolutely will be left out. That would likely mean KSU tied us in the standings. Committee would compare us to them, they would be the hotter team with better wins and better road wins. If we only win one more then I put us at about 85-90% especially if it is just Texas in the tourny. Anything more and I would say we are a lock, but I think some people on here are mixing our improvement and success with actual facts about what we have really done this year.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
ISU needs at least one more win to be assured a place in the tournament. I don't care how weak people perceive the bubble to be or how strong the next 3-4 teams we play are, the selection committee isn't going to look kindly on a team that has lost 4 straight games and 5 out of 6, with the lone win being against the worst team in the conference. If ISU loses it's next four games I guarantee the committee finds a way to keep the Cyclones at home.

Really? Purdue doesn't ven have a signature win......at home or away. Indiana has a couple decent big wins at home.....none away. Northwestern beat MSU but will have a LOSING record in the Big Ten. We have a loss to UNI, which beat Creighton. And a loss to Drake. And a couple close losses to decent teams that are in the middle of the conference on the road. Other than that, our losses have been to highly ranked teams that are projected to be seeded from #1 to #5.

I think we are in barring a complete collapse. But another win would sure be nice. We have an awfully tough schedule though. Not like we will be playing the sisters of the poor. Close losses might not hurt us as much as one might think. The Bubble teams are weak. And no way a Northwestern team with a losing conference record that will finish below Iowa gets in. Purdue has NO quality wins at all.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
You clearly have an internet connection, find it for yourself.

They look at the entire body of work. Losing games in which you aren't favored to win, especially on the road, doesn't have much of an effect no matter what part of the season it occurs.

If you haven't seen anyone "freaking out like children" on www.CycloneFanatic.com you either haven't been paying any attention or you are one.

Each committee is different. It's not a computer.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
With only two quality wins and none on the road we absolutely will be left out. That would likely mean KSU tied us in the standings. Committee would compare us to them, they would be the hotter team with better wins and better road wins. If we only win one more then I put us at about 85-90% especially if it is just Texas in the tourny. Anything more and I would say we are a lock, but I think some people on here are mixing our improvement and success with actual facts about what we have really done this year.

I think you are taking it too far. If we win one more we are a 99.999999999999% lock. Not winning one more would be nail-biting.

KSU doesn't have to tie us in the B12 to go ahead of us either.

cycloneSOULja

Feb 16, 2011
Last year, Colorado won 8 conference games (8-8), won 2 Big 12 Tournament Games, lost to Kansas in the Big 12 Tournament by only 7 points, and was left out.

There's no such thing as a lock in the Tournament when you aren't a conference champion and not a name brand school.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Last year, Colorado won 8 conference games (8-8), won 2 Big 12 Tournament Games, lost to Kansas in the Big 12 Tournament by only 7 points, and was left out.

There's no such thing as a lock in the Tournament when you aren't a conference champion and not a name brand school.

Old fart.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Their RPI was also down in the 60s, iirc.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I don't buy the 'brand name team' argument. This isn't the BCS. Do you think from a money standpoint they wanted VCU over Virginia Tech last year? Because that's what they did.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see us as a lock either, but the reason I feel that way is lack of quality wins. We'll get more though!

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
again, the expectation is that there are 19 teams that will do everything perfectly in their remaining games?? really?? we have a trememdous amount of wiggle room, it really isn't as dire as people think. but those people aren't changing their minds, that's for sure.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
again, the expectation is that there are 19 teams that will do everything perfectly in their remaining games?? really?? we have a trememdous amount of wiggle room, it really isn't as dire as people think. but those people aren't changing their minds, that's for sure.

Don't confuse a dire situation with "not a lock".

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I don't buy the 'brand name team' argument. This isn't the BCS. Do you think from a money standpoint they wanted VCU over Virginia Tech last year? Because that's what they did.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see us as a lock either, but the reason I feel that way is lack of quality wins. We'll get more though!

but we have more quality wins than the dozens of other teams' we'd be compared against.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron