Way way WAY Too Early Depth Chart for 2022

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Also kinda surprised we don't see the big defensive tackle they talked a lot about during fall as a young up and comer (Howard Brown). Especially that since his size and athleticism is kinda unique.

Thinking about this more - I wonder if they see Tyler Onyedim as the Enyi role. Howard Brown can be the 3rd DT/NG behind Lee/Singleton. If TO is mobile enough to fill the role that Enyi plays at 6'4" 290, that would be a huge boost to the entire DL. I know Ryan Harklau was praising what he saw from TO in practices.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Thinking about this more - I wonder if they see Tyler Onyedim as the Enyi role. Howard Brown can be the 3rd DT/NG behind Lee/Singleton. If TO is mobile enough to fill the role that Enyi plays at 6'4" 290, that would be a huge boost to the entire DL. I know Ryan Harklau was praising what he saw from TO in practices.
Onyedim is a stud

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Maybe. No team is guaranteed success as evidenced by Clemson and LSU's struggles this year.

We lose some nice players, but there looks to be a lot of quality players coming back and Campbell has been getting those guys snaps this year.

Dekker's isn't going to replace Purdy. He appears to be a different type of QB. Maybe we see Dekkers keep more RPO's. Connect on more deep passes. Not counting on Purdy's accuracy in 2022, but more big plays.
Dekkers has to learn to throw with some touch. Right now, everything is a bullet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cycl0nepower

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
QB is obviously a fickle position, but Hunter Dekkers is about as well positioned to succeed as any QB at ISU in decades. He's had years to mature behind Purdy including significant snaps in real games. He also has the size and physical tools to succeed (both arm strength and running ability). I don't expect him to match Purdy's production immediately, but I would be shocked if he ends up as a huge disappointment.

It seems like it has been a while since we had a quarterback that had the time to mature while waiting in the wings. I could be wrong, but it seems like the last one was Rosenfels. That worked out okay ;)

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
It seems like it has been a while since we had a quarterback that had the time to mature while waiting in the wings. I could be wrong, but it seems like the last one was Rosenfels. That worked out okay ;)

People forget, but there was a crazy stat going into Brock Purdys sophomore year... we had gone something like 7 years since we had started only 1 quarterback.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Not sure about any super seniors going forward because starting next year don't super seniors count toward the scholarship limit which I would assume we have filled out in recruiting?
Yes that is the case but you will always have attrition which is what a super senior could offset. It will take 3 years to cycle through.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I'm most curious about the scholarship discussions that will take place at a lot of programs...doesn't the limit return to 85 starting next fall?

Some programs this year are carrying potentially 6 full (considering normal attrition/transfer-outs) recruiting classes when the norm is 5 thanks to the free COVID-year. Guys in the 2017 class who redshirted their first year (like Kolar, he'll enter the draft but for the sake of using a known name) could be considered RS Juniors this year, RS Seniors next year. I imagine some of the older athletes who know they aren't going pro will bow out, but things could get awkward with players who can't "hang 'em up" just yet and coaches needing to clear scholarship space.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
You had me nodding along until this line. Brock lacks vision? Get real... he has elite vision and he has elite accuracy in the short/middle range distances. I won't argue with you over deep ball accuracy, sure he could be better there. But seriously, to say he lacks vision is just not reality.

No, he doesn't have vision. He constantly locks onto receivers and often misses targets with more separation or doesn't throw the ball altogether and has to scramble. It also leads to some route jumping and, even more so, batted balls. Iowa had a field day knocking balls down as Brock doesn't know how to look off a receiver. Something I'd hope he'd learned by the time he was a senior.

When Brock's "on"? Yes he can be extremely accurate on 10-25 yard throws (lots of QBs are). Thirty and up? He sucks and that's the kind of accuracy you need at the next level.

Maybe the best way to put it is I don't think Brock excels at processing the game. Quick reads/throws, look offs, etc aren't his strong suits. If he gets rolling he has the ability to pick the sidelines to pieces and utilize his TEs. But that's less about processing than it is trusting his short range accuracy, which is usually pretty good.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm most curious about the scholarship discussions that will take place at a lot of programs...doesn't the limit return to 85 starting next fall?

Some programs this year are carrying potentially 6 full (considering normal attrition/transfer-outs) recruiting classes when the norm is 5 thanks to the free COVID-year. Guys in the 2017 class who redshirted their first year (like Kolar, he'll enter the draft but for the sake of using a known name) could be considered RS Juniors this year, RS Seniors next year. I imagine some of the older athletes who know they aren't going pro will bow out, but things could get awkward with players who can't "hang 'em up" just yet and coaches needing to clear scholarship space.
Not sure how you figure it in advance but I think the normal attrition schollies will go to super seniors when they would normally go to walk-ons.

In a perfect situation we could put some incoming recruits on NIL scholarships for a year to free up room for seniors wanting to return.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
No, he doesn't have vision. He constantly locks onto receivers and often misses targets with more separation or doesn't throw the ball altogether and has to scramble. It also leads to some route jumping and, even more so, batted balls. Iowa had a field day knocking balls down as Brock doesn't know how to look off a receiver. Something I'd hope he'd learned by the time he was a senior.

When Brock's "on"? Yes he can be extremely accurate on 10-25 yard throws (lots of QBs are). Thirty and up? He sucks and that's the kind of accuracy you need at the next level.

Maybe the best way to put it is I don't think Brock excels at processing the game. Quick reads/throws, look offs, etc aren't his strong suits. If he gets rolling he has the ability to pick the sidelines to pieces and utilize his TEs. But that's less about processing than it is trusting his short range accuracy, which is usually pretty good.
I think you're bitterness during the greatest era to date in Cyclone football shows this is more of a you issue. Please get help.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois

Yeah, I can't agree with you. How does he find Jirhel Brock on literally his last read of a play if locks onto receivers. Also, you do know a large part of processing the game is done pre-snap right? The shaw td is a great example. He processed the coverage and didn't need to go through any further reads.

As far as looking off a receiver, what do you think a pump fake is? Same deal, and he's excellent at it. Furthermore, I'd have to go back and check, but I believe there was a specific play where BP faked a defender and completed a pass to Hall over the middle against KSU all while on the move.

And again, I'll agree with you that his deep game is not at a pro level. And maybe that's why you're so negative about him. But to say he doesn't have vision and accuracy is just false.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I think you're bitterness during the greatest era to date in Cyclone football shows this is more of a you issue. Please get help.

I'm not bitter at all although I would say I'm disappointed in his lack of progress throughout his career here. I don't necessary think he's improved much over the last 3 years, though (admittedly) his Sophomore injury may have contributed some to that.

The one thing he HAS thankfully improved on is throwing the ball away instead of running out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. He used to do that ALL the time.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm not bitter at all although I would say I'm disappointed in his lack of progress throughout his career here. I don't necessary think he's improved much over the last 3 years, though (admittedly) his Sophomore injury may have contributed some to that.

The one thing he HAS thankfully improved on is throwing the ball away instead of running out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. He used to do that ALL the time.
You come across as butt hurt. I look at it this way. Over the last 5 years we've screwed up a lot of teams seasons with upsets. When you play in a deep conference it's going to happen on occasion.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Yeah, I can't agree with you. How does he find Jirhel Brock on literally his last read of a play if locks onto receivers. Also, you do know a large part of processing the game is done pre-snap right? The shaw td is a great example. He processed the coverage and didn't need to go through any further reads.

As far as looking off a receiver, what do you think a pump fake is? Same deal, and he's excellent at it. Furthermore, I'd have to go back and check, but I believe there was a specific play where BP faked a defender and completed a pass to Hall over the middle against KSU all while on the move.

And again, I'll agree with you that his deep game is not at a pro level. And maybe that's why you're so negative about him. But to say he doesn't have vision and accuracy is just false.

Saying he "locks onto his receivers" doesn't mean he does it every play, or even every game. But does he do it enough to where it's been a persistent problem? Absolutely. The Iowa game was a great example of that. Just as the Brock play is an example that he doesn't lock on every single play.

There's other times where it may not just be a vision/processing problem (during the play) but a confidence problem. I have yet to see a team defend our tight ends (consistently) even when they are covered. Kolar will catch the ball 90% of the time if Brock puts it where it needs to be. He literally should be targeting him several times again until the defense is forced to double cover him. Then it will create openings elsewhere that can become exploited.

In fairness I also don't think our play calling/design has done Brock favors. There have been way too many plays called where he simply doesn't have the time to throw given the receiver's routes (after defensive pressure was already established in the game). I also think Manning sometimes has too many receivers on the same level, making it easier for teams to defend us with zone.

Purdy is at his best making short to medium range throws where the ball leaves his hands relatively quickly. Like a lot of QBs he excels once he establishes rhythm.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
You come across as butt hurt. I look at it this way. Over the last 5 years we've screwed up a lot of teams seasons with upsets. When you play in a deep conference it's going to happen on occasion.

Butt hurt is a strong word. I'd be lying if I didn't think Purdy would be better at this point given his freshman season. I doubt I'm alone when I say that either.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Newell was 99.99999999999% gone a couple weeks ago. I think Downing may want to kick the tires on a draft option as well

Best chance is Schweiger returns IMO
I think Schweiger is a better pro prospect (as a guard) today than Downing is.

• Agree
Reactions: Brandon

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I gotta agree with that. Downing has been a little underwhelming so far, but I do think he's getting better every game. I think it's more a matter of how much he was hyped up as our best OL - I don't think he's been that yet.
I agree with this too. His first couple games back he was downright bad and he's been better each game. I still think he's playing really high. The staff must have a lot of faith because it would have been easy to slide Schweiger to LG and Remsburg to RT.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
QB is obviously a fickle position, but Hunter Dekkers is about as well positioned to succeed as any QB at ISU in decades. He's had years to mature behind Purdy including significant snaps in real games. He also has the size and physical tools to succeed (both arm strength and running ability). I don't expect him to match Purdy's production immediately, but I would be shocked if he ends up as a huge disappointment.

Sure is hard to tell even with his significant snaps that he's had. One game I thought he looked very promising, another game I thought he was very inaccurate with his throws. Only time will tell I guess. Tools seem to be there. Although we don't hear much about the intangibles, what his leadership level is, etc. I guess until it's 'his time' that would be hard to access.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone