Way way WAY Too Early Depth Chart for 2022

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Is it time to start a new 2022 Depth Chart thread? Or update the title on this one perhaps? Then again maybe waiting 'till about July to do this?

Also why is it that many in the 2022 recruiting class are not on the 2022 Team roster? I think I know the answer to this (redshirting?) but wasn't sure. I'm also not sure that if you are redshirting are you auotmatically NOT listed on the roster for that year?
So guys like H. Deyo, J. Essex, and some others are not on the roster. Guys like D. Orange, G. Gaines are on the roster. Agreed to coaching and player decisions?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Cartevious Norton is starting to emerge as quite the wildcard

He's the next NFL back from Iowa State.

Because Jirehl, Eli and Deon won’t be? Gotcha.

From what I've seen, Jirehl is not an NFL back.
Deon absolutely isn't because he is 5'7"; maybe a return or flex role.
4L, I appreciate your input, but dude isn't it a little early to make this statement? Or to make it that bluntly? Personally I am looking forward to seeing what Jirhel Brock can do (after following one of the best RB's is ISU history). I wouldn't sell him short. And who knows yet about the returning RS Freshman Eli Sanders or Sophomore Dion Silas?

You may be right I don't know. But J Brock has stuck with us and this team. He will get every chance to show what he's got this year and next IMO. If somebody is better and plays more, amongst the RB's, so be it. I guess that might be a good thing and that somebody would be very special.

For now I am rooting for Jirehl. It's his turn to shine.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Is it time to start a new 2022 Depth Chart thread? Or update the title on this one perhaps? Then again maybe waiting 'till about July to do this?

Also why is it that many in the 2022 recruiting class are not on the 2022 Team roster? I think I know the answer to this (redshirting?) but wasn't sure. I'm also not sure that if you are redshirting are you auotmatically NOT listed on the roster for that year?
So guys like H. Deyo, J. Essex, and some others are not on the roster. Guys like D. Orange, G. Gaines are on the roster. Agreed to coaching and player decisions?
They are not on roster because they are not enrolled.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
They are not on roster because they are not enrolled.
Of course. I don't know what I was thinking. We are still only in spring semester!

I just did a subconscious double take, without thinking, as several have already enrolled.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

The guys already listed on the roster enrolled early and are on campus for Spring ball.

Reactions: t-noah and bozclone

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Halfway through the season. Why not?
BOLD = True Freshman
Green = Could leave

QB - Hunter Dekkers, Ashton Cook, Rocco Becht
RB - Jirehl Brock, Cartevious Norton OR Deon Silas OR Eli Sanders
WRX - Xavier Hutchinson, Darren Wilson, Greg Gaines
WRM - Jaylin Noel, Daniel Jackson
WRZ - Dimitri Stanley, Sean Shaw, Tristan Michaud
TE - Easton Dean, DeShawn Hanika OR Tyler Moore OR Andrew Keller
F - Jared Rus
LT- Tyler Miller, James Neal
LG- Jarrod Hufford, Hayden Pauls
C- Trevor Downing, Brady Peterson
RG- Darrell Simmons, Deylin Hasert
RT- Jake Remsburg, Grant Treiber

DE - Blake Peterson, MJ Anderson
DE - Will McDonald, Tyler Onyedim
DT - JR Singleton, Isaiah Lee OR Domonique Orange
LB - Gerry Vaughn OR Jacob Ellis, Carston Marshall
LB - Orien Vance, Gerry Vaughn, Will McLaughlin
LB - Colby Reeder, Kendell Jackson
CB - Myles Purchase, Terrell Crosby or Darien Porter
CB - TJ Tampa, Tayvonn Kyle
S - Anthony Johnson, Jordyn Morgan OR Jeremiah Cooper
Star* - Beau Freyler, Mason Chambers
S - Craig McDonald OR Malik Verdon

K - Tyler Bittman
P - Tyler Perkins
I bet Becht will be the backup QB when the season starts, the kid is a star in the making. I also think we’re going to be pleasantly surprised by Dekkers and the drop off (if any) from Brock won’t be very noticeable. Also, I don’t think Bittman will be the FG kicker, if the season started tomorrow Keegan Shackford would be. Other than that everything else looks about right.

Reactions: seadog

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I was surprised by this. According to 247, out of our top 25 all-time recruits, 10 of them will be on our 2022 team. And #26 and #27 are both on the team. So we actually have 12 of our top 27 all-time recruits on this upcoming roster. I don't know what this means, but could we maybe be better than what the "experts" are expecting?

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
4L, I appreciate your input, but dude isn't it a little early to make this statement? Or to make it that bluntly? Personally I am looking forward to seeing what Jirhel Brock can do (after following one of the best RB's is ISU history). I wouldn't sell him short. And who knows yet about the returning RS Freshman Eli Sanders or Sophomore Dion Silas?

You may be right I don't know. But J Brock has stuck with us and this team. He will get every chance to show what he's got this year and next IMO. If somebody is better and plays more, amongst the RB's, so be it. I guess that might be a good thing and that somebody would be very special.

I don’t understand how the same person who compares new recruits to Lawrence Taylor and JJ Watt can also say this definitively about a player who hasn’t even had a chance to be a starter yet.

It’s so strange to me. Makes the praise for new recruits not seem genuine when it flips so fast like that.

(I get early season Andy Bernard vibes from it, if you get what I mean)

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I don’t understand how the same person who compares new recruits to Lawrence Taylor and JJ Watt can also say this definitively about a player who hasn’t even had a chance to be a starter yet.

It’s so strange to me. Makes the praise for new recruits not seem genuine when it flips so fast like that.

(I get early season Andy Bernard vibes from it, if you get what I mean)
As I recall, Breece said that Jirehl can be “as good as me” if he works hard at it.

That’s good enough for me.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I think that a couple of different things can be true at once. I 100% believe that Brock has earned a start (and a majority of carries) in Game 1. He deserves that chance, no matter who is behind him. But, if he was anywhere as good as Breece, he would have been more than a 3rd down pass blocking/receiving back last year. He would have at least gotten the amount of carries that Kene got in 2020.

Brock ('21): 37-179
Nwangwu ('20): 61-351

That tells me that either he's not as good as Kene, or they didn't trust him as much. Just from personal observation, the one run vs TCU really sticks out. Other than that one, where he had 22% of his yardage for the whole season, he seems to kind of get what's there and that's it. I expected more from him when he got his first real start vs Clemson, but 14-44 is not super impressive...and I get that Clemson has a good defense. I'm not a talent scout by any means, but I can see when a RB has "juice" and just my opinion Silas has it. Haven't seen enough from Sanders or Norton to say whether they do or not, but I can't say that Brock has it.

To me, Brock has earned his shot and will get it. But if I were to bet, I'd say someone else is the starting RB by game 3 or 4 at the latest. I truly hope I'm wrong. I hope he puts it all together and starts every game this season.

• Disagree
Reactions: Aclone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I think that a couple of different things can be true at once. I 100% believe that Brock has earned a start (and a majority of carries) in Game 1. He deserves that chance, no matter who is behind him. But, if he was anywhere as good as Breece, he would have been more than a 3rd down pass blocking/receiving back last year. He would have at least gotten the amount of carries that Kene got in 2020.

Brock ('21): 37-179
Nwangwu ('20): 61-351

That tells me that either he's not as good as Kene, or they didn't trust him as much. Just from personal observation, the one run vs TCU really sticks out. Other than that one, where he had 22% of his yardage for the whole season, he seems to kind of get what's there and that's it. I expected more from him when he got his first real start vs Clemson, but 14-44 is not super impressive...and I get that Clemson has a good defense. I'm not a talent scout by any means, but I can see when a RB has "juice" and just my opinion Silas has it. Haven't seen enough from Sanders or Norton to say whether they do or not, but I can't say that Brock has it.

To me, Brock has earned his shot and will get it. But if I were to bet, I'd say someone else is the starting RB by game 3 or 4 at the latest. I truly hope I'm wrong. I hope he puts it all together and starts every game this season.
That's not an unreasonable assessment. The bottom line, at this moment, is that we have 4 (maybe more, I don't know) pretty good running backs.

I think we are all hoping to see the next really good/great RB soon (this year). Nobody is sure of whom that will be yet. I'm also hoping Jirehl takes a big step forward this year.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
That's not an unreasonable assessment. The bottom line, at this moment, is that we have 4 (maybe more, I don't know) pretty good running backs.

I think we are all hoping to see the next really good/great RB soon (this year). Nobody is sure of whom that will be yet. I'm also hoping Jirehl takes a big step forward this year.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Yeah, I hope he has 150 yards in the first game and follows it up with 100+ against the hoks. Then he goes on to start every game while the other 2-3 mix in here and there. But I THINK what what happen is that it looks more like 2019, where they start different guys depending on the opponent and who does well in practice that week. And eventually, they settle on who is the full time starter by the last 1/3 of the season. We'll see. I do really like our room though. We've probably gotten a little spoiled by having an NFL starter at RB the past few seasons.

Reactions: t-noah

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Halfway through the season. Why not?
BOLD = True Freshman
Green = Could leave

QB - Hunter Dekkers, Ashton Cook, Rocco Becht
RB - Jirehl Brock, Cartevious Norton OR Deon Silas OR Eli Sanders
WRX - Xavier Hutchinson, Darren Wilson, Greg Gaines
WRM - Jaylin Noel, Daniel Jackson
WRZ - Dimitri Stanley, Sean Shaw, Tristan Michaud
TE - Easton Dean, DeShawn Hanika OR Tyler Moore OR Andrew Keller
F - Jared Rus
LT- Tyler Miller, James Neal
LG- Jarrod Hufford, Hayden Pauls
C- Trevor Downing, Brady Peterson
RG- Darrell Simmons, Deylin Hasert
RT- Jake Remsburg, Grant Treiber

DE - Blake Peterson, MJ Anderson, Jayden Gray
DE - Will McDonald, Tyler Onyedim
DT - JR Singleton, Isaiah Lee OR Domonique Orange
LB - Gerry Vaughn OR Jacob Ellis, Carston Marshall
LB - Orien Vance, Gerry Vaughn, Will McLaughlin
LB - Colby Reeder, Kendell Jackson or Cole Pedersen
CB - Myles Purchase, Darien Porter or Terrell Crosby
CB - TJ Tampa, Tayvonn Kyle
S - Anthony Johnson, Jeremiah Cooper
Star* - Beau Freyler, Mason Chambers
S - Malik Verdon, Blake Thompson, Trevon Howard

K - Tyler Bittman
P - Tyler Perkins

Can someone with time map the two deep?

IA - 14
TX - 8
FL - 7

IL - 4
KS - 4
CO - 3
GA - 3
OH - 3
MO -2
MN - 2
SD - 2

AZ - 1
OK - 1
CAN - 1
WI - 1
Cal - 1
DE - 1

About 30 players on the 2/3 deep are from Iowa or easy driving distance (about 6 hours, STL is the farthest included)

Speed from TX, FL, GA, AZ at skill positions

Midwest for the OL and DL primarily with some TX flair

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Can someone with time map the two deep?

IA - 14
TX - 8
FL - 7

IL - 4
KS - 4
CO - 3
GA - 3
OH - 3
MO -2
MN - 2
SD - 2

AZ - 1
OK - 1
CAN - 1
WI - 1
Cal - 1
DE - 1

About 30 players on the 2/3 deep are from Iowa or easy driving distance (about 6 hours, STL is the farthest included)

Speed from TX, FL, GA, AZ at skill positions

Midwest for the OL and DL primarily with some TX flair
Deon Broomfield is in the process of building up those Florida numbers. Looks like an absolutely great hire.