Way way WAY Too Early Depth Chart for 2022

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I’m not confident that we find a sure fire LT, that’s why.

Not sure why they’d move a tackle that started the first 4-5 games of 2020 before injury to C unless he’s a legitimate candidate. Especially since we moved a couple of guards out to tackle to suffice.
I said move Simmons to Center as that's the position the insiders said he'd likely play when he signed and Hufford back to his original position guard. Hufford struggled blocking edge rushers. We could use one of our natural tackles to step up and actually contribute next year. Finally neither guard that moved to tackled sufficed this season.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I said move Simmons to Center as that's the position the insiders said he'd likely play when he signed and Hufford back to his original position guard. Hufford struggled blocking edge rushers. We could use one of our natural tackles to step up and actually contribute next year. Finally neither guard that moved to tackled sufficed this season.
I was referring to them moving Ramos to C.

He started the first several games of 2020 at RT. We needed tackle bodies last year and they moved him to C. They must think he can produce there since we moved a tackle that has started to an interior position.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

He started the first several games of 2020 at RT. We needed tackle bodies last year and they moved him to C. They must think he can produce there since we moved a tackle that has started to an interior position.
I would say that it was more of an issue of struggling at tackle during his time there in 2020. Remsburg (if healthy), Schweiger, Foster, & Hufford were all better if not always ideal options at tackle. Hopefully he can handle pass protection better on the inside.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I would say that it was more of an issue of struggling at tackle during his time there in 2020. Remsburg (if healthy), Schweiger, Foster, & Hufford were all better if not always ideal options at tackle. Hopefully he can handle pass protection better on the inside.
I don’t disagree, but seems odd to push a guy that started 5 games a tackle before injury to the inside unless he has a future there.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I don’t disagree, but seems odd to push a guy that started 5 games a tackle before injury to the inside unless he has a future there.
That and it might also have been a situation where they wanted a veteran to back up Newell in case anything h appened?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

I understand, I just wonder if he's really next in line to play Center, Campbell has stressed putting the best five on the field then figure out positions later. He started 5 guards last year, three return. Remsburg played well as a freshman and was apparently injured last year. We brought in a transfer that in his interview spoke about our staff talking about getting him to the league. When I take that all into consideration I don't see Ramos as one of the best five.

Htowncyfan

Mar 18, 2018
I really like Dekkers, but I hope he is fairly elusive. Purdy was pretty good at avoiding the rush. Sorry, but with our OL you cannot be a standing target.
Deckers will likely give us the downfield passing game that was so woefully lacking this year. I think the 2022 offense will surprise.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
After X and McDonald announced they're coming back here's where I'm at. Under each position group, I put whether I thought they'd be better, the same, or worse than 2021. All told, it'll be an exciting lineup to watch.

Defense:
DL: better
MJ Anderson / Blake Peterson / Johnny Wilson / Ikenna Ezogu
Isaiah Lee / Singleton / Howard Brown / Hunter Deyo
Will McDonald / Corey Suttle / Tyler Onydiem

LB: worse
Transfer? / Carston Marshall
Gerry Vaughn / Hunter Zenzen
Vance? / 3 freshman

Safety: worse
Beau Freyler
Craig McDonald
Jordyn Morgan / 2 freshman

CB: better
TJ Tampa / Michael Antione
Anthony Johnson / Myles Purchase

Offense:
Backfield: Worse
Hunter Dekkers / Becht / Clark
Jirhel Brock / Deon Silas / Eli Sanders / C. Norton

TE / F: Worse
Easton Dean / Tyler Moore / DeShawn Hanika / Andrew Keller
Jared Rus

OLine: Same?
Tyler Miller
Trevor Downing
Joey Ramos
Darrell Simmons Jr.
Jarrod Hufford
Backups: Grant Treiber/Jake Remsburg/Pauls

WR: Better
Xavier Hutchenson
Shawn Shaw
Jaylen Noel
Daniel Jackson
Backups: Porter/Gaines/Essix/freshman

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
After X and McDonald announced they're coming back here's where I'm at. Under each position group, I put whether I thought they'd be better, the same, or worse than 2021. All told, it'll be an exciting lineup to watch.

Defense:

Vance? / 3 freshman

Beau Freyler
Craig McDonald

Offense:

Jared Rus

Tyler Miller
Trevor Downing
Joey Ramos
Darrell Simmons Jr.
Jarrod Hufford

Xavier Hutchenson
Shawn Shaw
Jaylen Noel
Daniel Jackson

If we don't play 5 guards at line I think the line play will be much better. Other than that I think you're spot on. Team has enough talent to get us within striking distance of each team, and from there the way Campbell plays you just have to hope the bounces go our way.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Defense:

Vance? / 3 freshman

Beau Freyler
Craig McDonald

Offense:

Jared Rus

Tyler Miller
Trevor Downing
Joey Ramos
Darrell Simmons Jr.
Jarrod Hufford

Xavier Hutchenson
Shawn Shaw
Jaylen Noel
Daniel Jackson
Suttle is transferring.

Not sure that I totally agree with the safeties being worse, either.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
That looks fairly close to me.

I’d take out the “OR’s” between Lee and Onyedim…. and also Cook and Bouman. I’ve heard that Cook was pretty much the clear #3 last year over Bouman.

I''m clueless....didn't even know we had a Cook in qb room. What's his background?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
If we don't play 5 guards at line I think the line play will be much better. Other than that I think you're spot on. Team has enough talent to get us within striking distance of each team, and from there the way Campbell plays you just have to hope the bounces go our way.

Two line questions:
1. Wasn't Remsburg considered a returning starter this year, or did he play alot the year before because we had an injury ahead of him?
2. Have seen people comment about playing guards instead of tackles. What's the main difference of the two, and I dont mean their position on the line. What best describes who fits the two roles?

Reactions: cycl144

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
At TE we will miss Chase Allen's awesome blocking, and Kolar's ability to catch the ball in traffic and his YAC. I do not think we have anyone who is as good of receiver as Kolar or as good of blocker as Chase. Chase was great at making catches in traffic, just not as good with the ball in his hands. I think TE will be our biggest drop off. It would be great to be wrong.

I think J Brock is a ferocious blocker in space and a great receiver in the open field. I would guess if he was as good as Breece between the tackles he would have played more. Anyway, excited to see what he brings to the table.

No way Deckers has the completion percentage of Purdy, so I hope he can make up for it in other areas, like his feet and arm strength. Purdy had a higher completion percentage than a lot of NBA players have for free throws.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I think there's a chance the defense is as good, or better than 2021. Biggest drop offs will be losing Enyi and Rose. I feel like we're fine everywhere else. Enyi was a monster last year.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron