Way too early football predictions?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Renewed my season tickets this weekend, and will be looking forward to the upcoming season. I’m expecting a 7-5 record and eating BBQ at Central BBQ in Memphis in December.
Renewed a few weeks ago and added a seat for the kiddo as well instead of just having him sit on our laps.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I’d be in favor of that, just as a novelty.

In past decade, only one opener could qualify as “blowout” (more like “comfortable”). Winning by any margin has been a struggle.

2021: UNI, 16-10
2020: (L, Louisiana)
2019: UNI, 29-26 3OT
2018: (South Dakota State - canceled)
2017: UNI, 42-24
2016: (L, UNI)
2015: UNI, 31-7
2014: (L, North Dakota State)
2013: (L, UNI)
2012: Tulsa, 38-23
Thank God we don’t have the Purple Hoks on the schedule this year.

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
Dekkers is the real deal. Don’t want to put too high of expectations, but from a pure talent standpoint, I’ve heard he’ll be the best QB we’ve had in awhile.

Should Win:
Southeast Missouri
Ohio
Kansas

Toss up:
Iowa
Baylor
Kansas State
West Virginia
Texas Tech
TCU

Losses:
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Hit 50% of your toss ups, you’re 6-6.
Texas is an assumed loss?

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

FeedBreece

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2020
I like 7-5 for us, maybe 8-4.

I feel like we thrive more with low expectations. Would make sense that this would be a year we perform better in close games.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I wouldn’t be surprised if Hunter sets a season record for yards this year. Just not sure what this defense will be like. I’m hoping to see more 4-man fronts and frequent blitzing. We got beat last year by average quarterbacks who had all sorts of time to throw.
Texas is an assumed loss?
We own Texas lately. They lost their best player in Bijan Robinson.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclad

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I wouldn’t be surprised if Hunter sets a season record for yards this year. Just not sure what this defense will be like. I’m hoping to see more 4-man fronts and frequent blitzing. We got beat last year by average quarterbacks who had all sorts of time to throw.
I think the defense is shored up better than most of the national pundits will rate us. Losing Mike Rose and Enyi Uwazurike hurts no question. But I think about the three lines of the D:

- Corners will be solid in Myles Purchase and TJ Tampa. Tampa needs to make a leap this year as we know. Purchase was fearless as a true frosh and looked like he belonged. I think he can be a Brian Peavy type talent
- D Line is extremely solid: Isiah Lee, JR Singleton are great players. Howard Brown is an unknown, Dominique Orange could be a beast in a year and a half. Blake Peterson wins the DE job opposite of Will McDonald, he will have a huge opportunity with teams double teaming Will on the edge
- LB: Tyson Veidt is one of the best in the business. Orien Vance, Gerry Vaughn, and Colby Reeder will be very solid. Maybe a freshman here plays a lot like Rose did in 2017.
- Safety: we have maybe the best group we have had ever here. Craig McDonald is a sure tackler and phenomenal athlete. Beau Freyler will play in the NFL. Anthony Johnson will be strong at the 3rd safety

We need to force more picks this year. The D will be a strong point yet again.

cyclonelifer

Jan 30, 2007
Manchester, England
daveharm.blogspot.com
I'm truly sorry to rain on the parade. And nothing would please me more if I end up eating crow, but I think many on here are overly optimistic.

I think people are giving to much credit to Dekkers and will end up being disappointed in his performances. And watching a defense give up first downs on third and forever, is quite deflating

At tops I see 5-7. Like I said I hope and pray I'm wrong, but after last season, I can't see how a team can improve when it seems to constantly rely on winning on the last possession.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I'm truly sorry to rain on the parade. And nothing would please me more if I end up eating crow, but I think many on here are overly optimistic.

I think people are giving to much credit to Dekkers and will end up being disappointed in his performances. And watching a defense give up first downs on third and forever, is quite deflating

At tops I see 5-7. Like I said I hope and pray I'm wrong, but after last season, I can't see how a team can improve when it seems to constantly rely on winning on the last possession.
Well, I think you’re just overly pessimistic

:jimlad:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Petras was awful against us last year.

Absolutely irrelevant if he doesn’t turn it over and we hand Iowa the ball every other possession.

Until Campbell takes the non-conference seriously, this game is a loss.

His stats weren't good but he did throw that long TD. Made the plays when needed and exposed a leaky secondary.

The 'make the play' was something ISU wasn't strong in for most of the season.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We lost our best QB ever, our second best RB ever, and two of our top TE’s ever. Not to mention the other side of the ball.

I think 6-6 is what I’ll predict, with an outside shot at 7 or 8 wins. But I won’t predict that. I wouldn’t be totally surprised with 5-7.

Reactions: cstrunk

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron