Way too early football predictions?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cloneystate

May 13, 2017
I hate sounding like a broken record as we head into a new season, but it's all about the O line and D line. Tell me how good they will be and I'll tell you what our record will be.

That said, I'll be shocked if we don't exceed the outsider expectations. Matt and his coaches thrive in this type of situation.
Lots of talent but a lot of it is young. Give them some time and we could see enough improvement from game 1 to later games to finish strong. The defense could be a monster again.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
FWIW: No SE Missouri St game thread yet by any means but I noticed they were picked to finish 2nd in their league this year.

Also have preseason player of the year at running back followed by a 1st team WR and OL.

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
know fall camp has just started, but would love to know what some of y’all have been hearing in terms of players to watch for, potential breakout players, younger guy who may step up for this years squad (i.e. not public knowledge lol) etc… Given the nature of this team and how open some positions are, there is tons to talk about! So let’s do it.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
And a game that's way too close.
Don't ask me why but for some reason, this year, even more than last year, I don't think so. UNI almost always plays us tough historically so I never really thought deep down we'd run over them and win by 20+.

Its not rooted in much but at the moment, I just have a strange feeling that this years team is going to surprise people. I almost think its kinda like the previous class laid the foundation and built the ladder to hopefully help the program continue to climb and this group is going to be ready to take that climb. Time will tell but right now , I'm all in on the kool aid and optimism

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and cygrads

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I know fall camp has just started, but would love to know what some of y’all have been hearing in terms of players to watch for, potential breakout players, younger guys who may step up for this years squad (i.e. not public knowledge like Noel, Freyler, Purchase and Verdon lol) etc… Given the nature of this team and how open some positions are, there is tons to talk about! So let’s do it.

Here are some younger guys who aren't getting talked about that I am interested in for this season:

Offense -
WR Daniel Jackson
WR Greg Gaines
WR Jason Essex
RB Cartevious Norton

Defnse -
DL Domonique Orange
DL Ikenna Ezeogu
DB Trevon Howard

Would love to hear any thoughts y'all have or if you have heard anything about these guys or others in the program!
Great question. I'm not sure this question is best in the H. Dekkers thread, so I'll respond here.

I am not as familiar with the team, so I rely on what others think. I think It might be a good year though. Without specifics on players, our teams' success will again parallel the success we might have with the offensive line, as others have said repeatedly.

Beyond that, we need to continue our defensive tradition of the past few years, maybe even improve on it (getting more turnovers, not giving up big plays on 3rd down, etc.). Be solid in ST's, kicks, punts, coverage. I'm hopeful our run game will continue to be a big positive. It will definitely be different now with Breece gone.

I will of course, default to the obvious, QB play. It's very possible this, Hunter's play, along with our receiving core, could be a huge plus for us. I hope so.

For sure, it is going to be a different team, but exciting for many reasons. Hope it turns out great! At the very least, I hope for another solid Bowl game at the end.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
FWIW: No SE Missouri St game thread yet by any means but I noticed they were picked to finish 2nd in their league this year.

Also have preseason player of the year at running back followed by a 1st team WR and OL.

And a game that's way too close.

Not. A. Chance. In. H***.
I won't start a 1st game thread, but we easily handle SE Missouri in game 1. We should win by 40+, but likely will not as Campbell will be conservative and not show too much prior to Iowa.

Iowa's first game will be South Dakota State. They are much, much better than SE Missouri. If we were to play them, I would expect to win by 14+ pts. But who knows with this team, this early in the season? South Dakota St is very similar team quality-wise, to UNI, so it will be interesting to see the Iowa results.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think Campbell will open up the offense to get Dekkers confidence. I still doubt we win by 40+.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I won't start a 1st game thread, but we easily handle SE Missouri in game 1. We should win by 40+, but likely will not as Campbell will be conservative and not show too much prior to Iowa.

Iowa's first game will be South Dakota State. They are much, much better than SE Missouri. If we were to play them, I would expect to win by 14+ pts. But who knows with this team, this early in the season? South Dakota St is very similar team quality-wise, to UNI, so it will be interesting to see the Iowa results.
South Dakota State is UNI with a bigger budget. They'll play with Iowa for most, if not all, of that game.

SEMO is a bottom tier team from an awful FCS League. This isn't a Valley team rolling in. Campbell can name the score if he chooses to go that way but I'm guessing it's a 42-7 type game.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah