Washington's Lorenzo Romar on TJ Otzelberger's Departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Joining the thread late, but from what I'm hearing take it as you will..

People from inside the program are pretty uncertain about Hoiberg's future. Bulls job opening would be Fred leaving. About anywhere else he will be staying in Ames. I would be pretty shocked if the Bulls job didn't open up, sadly. It's all speculation at this point from everyone. This is what I have just been hearing and thought I would pass it along.

If Fred leaves, GT will not be back next year. He leaves for Greece right after school is over and will turn pro if Fred leaves to the NBA.

A source close to the situation put it as 50-50 whether or not Fred leaves for the NBA.

Not trolling at all, past posts speak for themselves so up to you if you care about what I'm posting. Just passing along what I hear.

Thanks that's all I needed to see to know I should trust that you aren't trolling.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
If Fred was seriously considering leaving, why would he let the cat out of the bag now, while he was trying to fill out his roster?

Him telling TJ, then TJ telling Romar doesn't add up for me. I think he would have kept things a little more close.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Reality is that only a tiny fraction of coaches could say with honesty that they will stay at their school as long as they are welcome. We are so used to seeing Saban, Chiz, Petrino blatantly lie about being firmly entrenched, having their agent float their name for jobs they aren't interested in to get a raise, etc. that when someone is actually honest we think the worst. Fred says he is uncertain about the future because like every other coach it is true. Unlike most every other coach he isn't going to tell you otherwise to make you feel better.

Spam

May 21, 2008

People from inside the program are pretty uncertain about Hoiberg's future. Bulls job opening would be Fred leaving. About anywhere else he will be staying in Ames. I would be pretty shocked if the Bulls job didn't open up, sadly. It's all speculation at this point from everyone. This is what I have just been hearing and thought I would pass it along.

If Fred leaves, GT will not be back next year. He leaves for Greece right after school is over and will turn pro if Fred leaves to the NBA.

A source close to the situation put it as 50-50 whether or not Fred leaves for the NBA.

Not trolling at all, past posts speak for themselves so up to you if you care about what I'm posting. Just passing along what I hear.

giphy.gif

HiltonTrice22

Nov 14, 2013

Have you heard any thing on who the replacement would be?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Not saying you're lying but I can't think of any situation where Fred isn't the head coach of ISU in 2015-16. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

InAWord

Nov 16, 2010
So, are we to the point then that the Bulls position is Fred's dream job? Because otherwise he can leave for the NBA whenever he wants. And why not stay for at least one more season with the core that we have returning. I can see Hoiberg leaving next year. This year? Seems highly unlikely.

And that TJ would be a 'coach in waiting' seems to undervalue our position of a school that could attract better candidates than someone that likely wasn't going to get the head spot at a school like Green Bay.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I can't believe this whole thing has blown up over people believing TJ is going to be the next ISU coach. I could maybe see if it were still the McD era, but the position this program is in now, if TJ is the hand picked guy, count me out. Especially if we aren't bothering to interview anyone else for the job.

This probably isn't #1 on a lot of coaches lists, but with the talent we have coming in next year, it surely would be attractive to anyone not UNC, Duke, Kentucky or Kansas. That's why I honestly can't believe this thread still has legs. I would think the more likely scenario would be, if there is one, that TJ came back because Fred is offering him an assistant job with him and the Bulls then.

In the end, I've chalked most of this up to a lot of Cyclone fans waking up in the morning and waiting for tat meteor to come crashing through their roof.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

I don't know who you are hearing this from, but it is 1000% b.s. You need to get new sources because the ones you have are trolling you.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I don't know who you are hearing this from, but it is 1000% b.s. You need to get new sources because the ones you have are trolling you.

So you've heard differently? Sources as well? (Tone meant to be actually inquiring, not sarcastic). Cyclone07 has come out before with information that turned out to be correct.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
So you've heard differently? Sources as well? (Tone meant to be actually inquiring, not sarcastic). Cyclone07 has come out before with information that turned out to be correct.

I know a few people...

That's all I'm going to say.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Considering JP has openly said that he expects Fred to leave for the NBA one day, it wouldn't be a shock. Just didn't think it would be soon. Like Bulls soon.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

Fred will be in the NBA someday. That day is not next year.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Fred is laid up until July, and he probably won't be 100% then. To me, that's why I don't see him taking a NBA job this year. Even moreso than the returning roster.

Next year would surprise me much less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron