Viking-inspired pub opening in East Village Des Moines on July 31

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
FWIW, my SIL recently traveled to Norway and confirmed that tacos are actually one of the top foods consumed there.

So this is still legit from that front....maybe stretching it a bit back to Viking times tho...

• Informative
Reactions: k123

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Somehow not surprised
I am. From what I understand you don't open a business like this and expect to make a profit for quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a bigger picture issue with ownership needing to reduce costs for some reason and doesn't really have much to do with the popularity of the place.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I am. From what I understand you don't open a business like this and expect to make a profit for quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a bigger picture issue with ownership needing to reduce costs for some reason and doesn't really have much to do with the popularity of the place.
Mostly because the concept didn't seem all that clear from the start. A place that is all about Scandinavian should probably focus on that in their menu as opposed to "Viking tacos"

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Mostly because the concept didn't seem all that clear from the start. A place that is all about Scandinavian should probably focus on that in their menu as opposed to "Viking tacos"

I would normally agree but the stench of lutefisk rolling out of the kitchen would probably shut the joint down on its own.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Could be. I'll be in interested to see if Bruno addresses it on one of his radio appearances.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

Went there for the Vikings - 49ers game and it closing within the year was the first thought that popped in my head. Terrible service, no room in the place, the "Viking experience" was nowhere to be felt.

It was fun being surrounded by other Vikings fans watching the game, but other than game watches, I couldn't imagine a reason to go there.

• Informative
Reactions: cyfan21

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Is this the first oops from that group of operators? I’d put el bait shop on top with any of it’s kind. The freaking best.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Is this the first oops from that group of operators? I’d put el bait shop on top with any of it’s kind. The freaking best.
I think they're out of Mullets but they seem to be doing fine.
Fongs in Ankeny is definitely in limbo from some strong rumors.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I think they're out of Mullets but they seem to be doing fine.
Fongs in Ankeny is definitely in limbo from some strong rumors.

They’ve been out of mullets for awhile now.

And also heard similar about Ankeny. I thought the Fong’s Drake would have been their first oops before Skol. I think there’s some teeth to it being a little too soon for the area. 3 years from now, would be different.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

They have been very successful, but one black mark, They opened the first grocery store on Court Ave (can't recall the name) and Shorty's downstairs to help fund it. The grocery store closed and they ended up selling Shorty's (although it is still open).

Obviously something wasn't working as expected (didn't help they never had the smoked meats they suggested would be a staple). Add to it: is is the slow season in general, they are opening a new place in Dogtown (Drake) and also the Speakeasy in the basement of Iowa Tap Room so they may be stretched a little thin right now and rather than battle getting this right with current limited time and resources. Once the other two are opened and running, they'll have time to focus on what to do with this long-term.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FBFAN