Viking-inspired pub opening in East Village Des Moines on July 31

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think you are right to a degree. That said, Taco Hangover is probably not a good example as they have closed several locations.

True. But as noted fitness world also had the same issues. Rent may be too high in that area.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
There are much better pizza options that aren't as expensive. Fongs is fine once in a while, but I'll take Rosatis or Wig & Pen over Fongs most times.

Wig and Pen is good I will give ya that. Never been to Rosatis though.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There are much better pizza options that aren't as expensive. Fongs is fine once in a while, but I'll take Rosatis or Wig & Pen over Fongs most times.

I mean those two are just different styles of pizza than what fongs is going for. Doesn't mean they are of lower quality.

Reactions: capitalcityguy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Who owns the Prairie Trail properties? Is the market really driving costs that high?

I wonder if the city has anything to say about it if businesses are hurt because of the rent costs. FW is probably losing my membership because I have no desire to go to the north branch (less convenient for me, and will probably be a zoo with the consolidation).
My guy works for Elwell. I'd assume him.
Also told me about other places having income issues like Cowboy Chicken before it closed.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
When I lived in Ankeny Fongs had the best happy hour around. You got a beer and a slice for like $4. And not just crappy beer, anything on tap. Really miss going there after work.

Also miss Wig and Pen’s taco pizza.

• Agree
Reactions: vortec22

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Kind of off topic, anyone know what Sam Auen is doing now?

Last I heard he's dodging the IRS in Oregon somewhere. Guy was a piece of work. Skipped town without paying most of his employees, never paid taxes from what I understand, and was just a real pos.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Last I heard he's dodging the IRS in Oregon somewhere. Guy was a piece of work. Skipped town without paying most of his employees, never paid taxes from what I understand, and was just a real pos.
WOW. That's crazy.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
When I lived in Ankeny Fongs had the best happy hour around. You got a beer and a slice for like $4. And not just crappy beer, anything on tap. Really miss going there after work.

Also miss Wig and Pen’s taco pizza.
They took out half the tap handles

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

Is that the olde main guy?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Seriously? Why? They had a decent selection before. I usually went with Todd the Axeman or Dragons Milk.
They had 88 IIRC. That's honestly probably too many. I mean, I love that many choices, but probably more than they needed.
They are at 44 now I believe.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron