Varner misses out on the Hodge

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
One of the elements for the award is past credentials. There is no question that Jake should have won in that category with finishes of 2nd-2nd-1st-1st. Ness' finishes were 5th-2nd-3rd-1st. Obviously this is only one element though.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I wanted Jake to win it but it's hard to argue with Ness. I had thought getting pushed as hard as he was in the semis and finals might hurt Ness a little with Jake pretty much walking through the tournament, but Ness is a great wrestler. If it wasn't Jake, I'm glad it was him.

EYE4CY

Feb 15, 2010
These comments sort of shocked me a little bit. When I heard Ness got it I figured everyone on here would be going crazy and cursing everything possible. Very glad people are showing good sportsmanship! Ness is one heck of a wrestler and deserved the award.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Varner had a fantastic career at ISU, we sure will miss him and his leadership. IS he one of the greatest ever? Has to at least be in the conversation,at least at the upper weights.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Varner had a fantastic career at ISU, we sure will miss him and his leadership. IS he one of the greatest ever? Has to at least be in the conversation,at least at the upper weights.

Absolutely. 4 time finalist, 2 time champ, undefeated senior year.:notworthy:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

He's one of 14 wrestlers ever to be a 4x NCAA finalist and if Cael hadn't set the bar so high with his offense few people would have ever questioned Varner. He may not have been the most dynamic wrestler offensively but he was a stud from day one and is probably one of the top 5-7 Cyclones ever on the college level only. Add in what he has already done, and most likely will do on the freestyle circuit and he's an all-timer, no doubt about it.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Jake was really, really close to 3 NCAA championships. I can't remember what happended exactly, but wasn't it a matter of a few seconds' riding time that cost him his sophmore season? Jake only lost three matches during his last three years of competition.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
I'm a big Varner fan, but I'm pretty sure "character" is a factor in the vote. I'm not saying he has bad character, but it opens the door for voters to turn it into a popularity contest.

Varner rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. It's kind of hard to dislike Ness. Although, that fact kinda makes me dislike him...haha

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I'm not going to say Varner got screwed (maybe hosed if there's a difference). Considering Varner had a better career than Ness and was more dominant throughout the tournament, including the championship, I'd have given it to Varner. Anybody know how many Clones have won 3 national titles? That's about what it would take to outdo what Jake did as a Cyclone (except for the great one of course).

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
I'm not going to say Varner got screwed (maybe hosed if there's a difference). Considering Varner had a better career than Ness and was more dominant throughout the tournament, including the championship, I'd have given it to Varner. Anybody know how many Clones have won 3 national titles? That's about what it would take to outdo what Jake did as a Cyclone (except for the great one of course).

Nate Carr, Larry Hayes, and Cael. Gable obviously came really close to 3.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

The three 3 timers I can think of are Larry Hayes, Nate Carr, and Cael Sanderson. Hayes could only get 3 due to freshman not being eligible when he wrestled. Carr was "only" a 3x AA compared to Jake's 4 finals appearances. Chris Taylor had only one tie on his record as a 2x natl champ.

There was a thread on another board about this a couple of weeks ago. I think Varner is safely in the top 10 Cylones of all time but it's about impossible to rank them beyond Cael and Gable. We've had some legends go through the program.

loki8838

Nov 27, 2006
This should have been settled on the mat. Varner versus Ness in a standard match. Winner gets the Hodge.

In all seriousness, both are studs and both were well deserving of the award.

I remember watching Ness pin his way through the state tournament in 2005 at the Xcel Energy Center in St Paul. In the semifinals he pinned Jake Deitchler of Anoka. Deitchler would go on to be the third american in history to wrestle in the Olympics straight out of high school. The last I heard, Deitchler will be wrestling for the Gophers next season.

unoimahawk

Jan 10, 2010
I know they say past results are a criteria but whoever chooses doesn't do a good job following the criteria or else there would be no way Metcalf could of won it his first year of wrestling. It would almost always have to be a senior if they followed that. I think they usually have their mind made up after they look at 1.record 2.number of pins and 3.dominance. Not taking anything away from Varner b/c he is good but if you look at this year alone Ness would clearly wins those 3.