Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I think ISU came out against DePaul with a plan to do things differently on offense than in the subpar Florida tourney — establish Tre inside, Gilbert and Jones chucking far fewer 3s, Gilbert more under control attacking the basket, and more run for Pav (he’s sneaky good at driving and dishing). If we play the same way against Iowa we’ll be in good shape. But if we revert to Gilbert and Jones going 2-15 from 3 and Gilbert turning it over or not finishing contested shots then it could be a long night.

And as stated by others, it will also help if we don’t gamble and chase the ball on defense like we did last year which gave Iowa one wide open 3 after another. ISU should be able to clamp down on Iowa just playing straight up on D. We have better athletes.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think ISU came out against DePaul with a plan to do things differently on offense than in the subpar Florida tourney — establish Tre inside, Gilbert and Jones chucking far fewer 3s, Gilbert more under control attacking the basket, and more run for Pav (he’s sneaky good at driving and dishing). If we play the same way against Iowa we’ll be in good shape. But if we revert to Gilbert and Jones going 2-15 from 3 and Gilbert turning it over or not finishing contested shots then it could be a long night.

And as stated by others, it will also help if we don’t gamble and chase the ball on defense like we did last year which gave Iowa one wide open 3 after another. ISU should be able to clamp down on Iowa just playing straight up on D. We have better athletes.
Yeah, I really don't see the need to double everything as they don't have many guys that are quick off the dribble. Maybe double or hedge on the Valpo guy to keep him from getting easy shots, but hedge at best against the rest of them. Main key is to make them get it out of the half court offense rather than the break or secondary break.

Reactions: clonehome

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Totally prepared for Iowa to win this. It’s the CyHawk, which we usually choke away in most sports it seems, and it’s not a good matchup for us IMO.

Iowa has shooters and we of course don’t as usual, outside of Milan. And we will also give them tons of wide open looks from 3 too if we play defense like we have been this year.

Ward would have helped a LOT in this game…. and if Omaha was even half the player we thought we were getting…. would have helped a lot too.

Not excited for this game at all.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The only guy that has underwhelmed IMO has been Omaha, and that's because of the sky high expectations. I know the holiday tournament put a bad taste in our mouths, but I just don't think we played all that well down there, especially against VT. Against A&M, we started great and then lost all momentum, but even then, we were creating wide open shots (from guys we'd want taking them) at will that just wouldn't fall.
I think the reason the Texas A&M game left such a bad taste in my mouth is that we looked so physically outmatched and the Aggies were down 2 starters. That sucked to even lose the game period, let alone the way it went down.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think the reason the Texas A&M game left such a bad taste in my mouth is that we looked so physically outmatched and the Aggies were down 2 starters. That sucked to even lose the game period, let alone the way it went down.
I chalked that up to a loss of momentum after starting out so well and then just lost it. Once the tide turned, we played tentative and tight for a long stretch while they played loose and natural. Tre was still dinged up and in foul trouble and only played 18 minutes, so we were mostly playing small 1-4.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Totally prepared for Iowa to win this. It’s the CyHawk, which we usually choke away in most sports it seems, and it’s not a good matchup for us IMO.

Iowa has shooters and we of course don’t as usual, outside of Milan. And we will also give them tons of wide open looks from 3 too if we play defense like we have been this year.

Ward would have helped a LOT in this game…. and if Omaha was even half the player we thought we were getting…. would have helped a lot too.

Not excited for this game at all.
The Cy-Hawk Series Trophy originated in 2004. Iowa State currently leads with nine overall titles (with one defense in a tie) compared to Iowa with eight. The two schools tied the series in 2015–16 with Iowa State defending the trophy for another year. Due to the COVID pandemic, the Cy-Hawk Series was paused in 2020–2021.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't like the way we match-up with Iowa. If Krikke and Freeman are on the floor at the same time, we almost have to have Rob and Tre on the floor too. Which limits are our efficiency on offense and makes defending us much easier.

If our guards are not hitting shots, Keshon and Tamin NEED to get to the rim/in the paint every possession.
It would be nice if Tre could at least get back to posing a moderate threat from 3 pt. land. 33% on 56 attempts his final year at Eastern Kentucky. He is 4 for 19 in what has amounted to almost one full season in Ames now.

Reactions: Billups06

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Agree with you on the watchable, although that too has been iffy the past couple seasons.

The men's basketball game has been a brutal watch since the Prohm era essentially. I enjoyed the 2021 edition, but other than that one, it has been almost as brutal as the football series since 2016 for ISU fans.

The Cyhawk football game hasn't had toxic tendencies regardless of outcome.

Basketball is just kind of weird and I'm glad when it's over to move on to the most interesting parts of the schedule.

• Agree

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
It would be nice if Tre could at least get back to posing a moderate threat from 3 pt. land. 33% on 56 attempts his final year at Eastern Kentucky. He is 4 for 19 in what has amounted to almost one full season in Ames now.
Actually, while it'd be a bonus if he could hit 3s, I'd rather have him be a consistent mid range shooting threat & be an absolute beast on the boards. If he succeeds at those 2 roles, I'll be extremely happy.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
The Cyhawk football game hasn't had toxic tendencies regardless of outcome.

Basketball is just kind of weird and I'm glad when it's over to move on to the most interesting parts of the schedule.

A majority of their fanbase will be done with basketball for the year if they lose Thursday night.

I think ISU has a ways to go to find their identity this year. I am far from confident. Iowa will be ready to play.

• Haha
Reactions: 1776

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Whoever is guarding Lipsey better remember to block out. He has a nose for the ball and is great at finding rebounds for a guy barely over 6'. If the Iowa guards are trying to get runouts before they have secured the ball Lipsey could be a pretty big factor on the offensive glass.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Underrated fact. Fran circles this one and it is been fairly obvious since the mid Hoiberg era.
Beat ISU semi-regularly and win an NCAA tournament game every 3 years or so and he’s good. Iowa fans feel they don’t deserve more than that. I mean do you remember Licklighter?!

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I don't know. We are a much better team when we shoot 15 3s a game instead of 30. I think I'd rather see Tre stick to the paint.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron