Too much Kool-Aid for me?

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
So you're happy with one, ever so slight, sniff wrapped around a .500 record over 4 years????? Break out the party hats and horns. :notworthy:

Um...yes, I'm very happy with Iowa's results last year and have high hopes for this season. I feel that after a couple down seasons, Iowa is returning to the "glory years" as one of you put it.

I have a feeling ISU fans would be doing naked cartwheels over a NYD Bowl victory and a top 25 ranking even if it was sandwiched with a couple .500 seasons.

...Hell, a lot of ISU fans would be happy with a .500 season!

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
And it's only April.....this is going to be an interesting few months the way things are going.

On a tangent, I see that everyone on here is considering the NDSU game as an "easy win" for us. That team actually scares me more than Iowa. NDSU is a decent team and if we're looking ahead to Iowa too much, they could easily surprise us. (See Kent State, UNLV, Toledo, etc the past couple of years)

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
Here is an article I found from a 2004 HawkeyeReport.com article written by Kevin Gertsen. I pulled this paragraph out:

The series was renewed in 1934 with ISU pounding Iowa 31-6. Prior to the game Iowa coach, Ossie Salem stated that the two teams wouldn’t be playing in 1935 but would be playing again in the near future.

HawkeyeReport.com - A Trip Down Memory Lane

Iowa never renewed the series, and I think it took the Iowa legislature to mandate the game. I could be wrong on that, however. The series was renewed in the 1970s

I don't mean this post as a shot, but just information you asked for.

No offense taken. I have been very impressed with your attempts at impartiality and civility all the wile showing sharp wit.

I think if you research it however the 5 or 6 previous games were all Iowa victories but oddly they were stretched over a 20-year time frame if memory serves. Showing the series was spotty at best from the start.

Chad

Last edited:

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
You are living in the past, friend. You know why the ISU-Iowa game was discontinued?

ISU used to kick Iowa's butt all the time and the Iowa people wanted out. No brag. Just fact. Check the history books.

OK, I will.

From 1894 until 1934 (when the ISU/Iowa series was called off until 1977) ISU was 8-16 against Iowa. I'd like you to define how that is "ISU kicking Iowa's butt" all the time. They won the 1934 game 31-6, but outside of that game Iowa won that series at a rate of 2-1. I don't know why the rivalry was called off after the 1934 game, but it certainly wasn't because ISU had a dominating series lead over Iowa.

Since the series renewal in 1977 ISU has been 11-22 against Iowa. ISU's total record since the start of this rivalry in 1894 is 19-48.

The only two periods where there is a definite pattern of ISU "domination" is between 78-82 (where ISU was 4-1) and 1998-2002 (where ISU was 5-0). So basically, ISU was able to beat Iowa with the best teams in their history (78-82 and 98-02 are easily the best periods in ISU football history) when Iowa had arguably the worst teams in their history (79 was Hayden's first season, previous to his arrival were the darkest days in Hawkeye football history, once he established himself ISU had no chance, When Hayden left the cupboard was very bare and Kirk also had a rebuilding job on his hands). So conclusively, from the historical evidence you wanted me to look up, we can state that it takes the BEST teams in ISU history to mount an impressive streak of victories over the WORST hawk teams in history. Outside of those TWO periods the trend has been domination by Iowa. The last 6 years have reflected that trend with Iowa going 4-2.

If you ask me to get out the history books, make sure you are correct in your claims before doing so. All my information came from the College football encyclopedia published by ESPN, so I assure you it is accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: GaryJohnson

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
OK, I will.

From 1894 until 1934 (when the ISU/Iowa series was called off until 1977) ISU was 8-16 against Iowa. I'd like you to define how that is "ISU kicking Iowa's butt" all the time. They won the 1934 game 31-6, but outside of that game Iowa won that series at a rate of 2-1. I don't know why the rivalry was called off after the 1934 game, but it certainly wasn't because ISU had a dominating series lead over Iowa.

Since the series renewal in 1977 ISU has been 11-22 against Iowa. ISU's total record since the start of this rivalry in 1894 is 19-48.

The only two periods where there is a definite pattern of ISU "domination" is between 78-82 (where ISU was 4-1) and 1998-2002 (where ISU was 5-0). So basically, ISU was able to beat Iowa with the best teams in their history (78-82 and 98-02 are easily the best periods in ISU football history) when Iowa had arguably the worst teams in their history (79 was Hayden's first season, previous to his arrival were the darkest days in Hawkeye football history, once he established himself ISU had no chance, When Hayden left the cupboard was very bare and Kirk also had a rebuilding job on his hands). So conclusively, from the historical evidence you wanted me to look up, we can state that it takes the BEST teams in ISU history to mount an impressive streak of victories over the WORST hawk teams in history. Outside of those TWO periods the trend has been domination by Iowa. The last 6 years have reflected that trend with Iowa going 4-2.

If you ask me to get out the history books, make sure you are correct in your claims before doing so. All my information came from the College football encyclopedia published by ESPN, so I assure you it is accurate.

:skeptical: Hmmmm. I don't see in your reply where you quote the Iowa football coach saying Iowa was not going to play Iowa State again "but would in the near future."

If you missed it, here it is:

The series was renewed in 1934 with ISU pounding Iowa 31-6. Prior to the game Iowa coach, Ossie Salem stated that the two teams wouldn’t be playing in 1935 but would be playing again in the near future.

The near future in Iowa time must be over three decades. Iowa called off the series.

All you did was look at the records. I did that as well.

But I remember as a kid listening to two old farts in my hometown talk about the ISU-Iowa series. I recall them talking about the Iowa State-Iowa games, and they always said those games were always hard-hitting affairs. They were disappointed when the series was never renewed. Iowa State always wanted to play them. Iowa officials always didn't want to.

I will admit I went a little overboard with my "kicking Iowa's butt" comment, but the truth is Iowa called off the series. Iowa State always wanted the series to continue.

Now, think what the uproar from Iowa fans would be if Iowa State called off the series?

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Iowa State will either win the iowa game and maybe 3 total games all year or they will lose at home to iowa and win 6 or 7 game total, i'll take the latter, but more than likely I'll have one really good weekend. I think that's all I've been allowed as an Iowa State fan.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I'd say "it's about damn time, " and then start a new series with Nebraska.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

What's stopping you now? That all important series with the Maine Black Bears?

northernclone

Apr 11, 2006
Minnesota
Um...yes, I'm very happy with Iowa's results last year and have high hopes for this season. I feel that after a couple down seasons, Iowa is returning to the "glory years" as one of you put it.

I have a feeling ISU fans would be doing naked cartwheels over a NYD Bowl victory and a top 25 ranking even if it was sandwiched with a couple .500 seasons.

...Hell, a lot of ISU fans would be happy with a .500 season!

Never said you should't be happy with last season. Was refering to the "pounding of one's chest" implying that Iowa is some powerhouse to be proud of. You are one year removed from a 6-6 season. Sure...take pride in "the season," but eeek... to imply you are ready to play with the big boys seems a bit premature.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Are you ********? Nobody is going to schedule 2 non-conference opponents from the Big 12 in the same season.

Unless their name is Hayden Fry. I mean he's old but I don't think you should be calling him names like that.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Are you ********? Nobody is going to schedule 2 non-conference opponents from the Big 12 in the same season.

Now I get what youre saying that schools dont like giving all their money to one conference and they certainly dont enjoy dishin out money for big non-conference opponents that might tarnish their record. However, there have been several "big name" programs who have been scheduling other "big name" programs from multiple big conferences as non conference games...one of those being Nebraska. IMHO, if Iowa wants to be able to get to that big program status, they need to start scheduling non-conference schedules that dont look like they are playing Pop Warner teams the first 3 weeks of the season. I feel like they are actually taking that step right now with Pitt and Arizona next year. Aside from Arkansas State, Iowa's schedule looks pretty decent. I'm a little puzzled as to why Arkansas State is in week 5 as that will do absolutely nothing to prepare them for their Big10 schedule.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

I noticed you took out my reference to the might Maine Black Bears being on your schedule. Ashamed of that little bit of scheduling, are we?

And Iowa State scheduled Minnesota and Wisconsin and still played you guys.

Besides, why should playing Iowa State and Nebraska bother you Hawk fans all that much. According to you all, ISU isn't any good. Playing ISU, according to a lot of you Hawk fans, is like playing Maine.:jimlad:

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I noticed you took out my reference to the might Maine Black Bears being on your schedule. Ashamed of that little bit of scheduling, are we?

Nobody is going to fill their non-conference schedule with nothing but powerhouses. Every team needs a cupcake or two to start off the season. Well...unless you're Jamie Pollard. For some reason he thinks losses to Iowa, UConn and Utah are a good way to kick off a season.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Nobody is going to fill their non-conference schedule with nothing but powerhouses. Every team needs a cupcake or two to start off the season. Well...unless you're Jamie Pollard. For some reason he thinks losses to Iowa, UConn and Utah are a good way to kick off a season.

:confused::confused::confused:

First Iowa fans rip on ISU for scheduling sisters of the poor, and now they rip on us for beefing up the schedule. Talk about being schizo. Just can't win with you Iowa folks.

Meanwhile you all go right on scheduling those Maine Black Bears.

Last edited:

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
We can all talk about drinking the kool aid, but just remember what happened to the original group of people who "drank the kool aid."

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
We can all talk about drinking the kool aid, but just remember what happened to the original group of people who "drank the kool aid."

:biglaugh:

No wonder you are a hall of famer, LindenCy!

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
:skeptical: Hmmmm. I don't see in your reply where you quote the Iowa football coach saying Iowa was not going to play Iowa State again "but would in the near future."

If you missed it, here it is:

The near future in Iowa time must be over three decades. Iowa called off the series.

All you did was look at the records. I did that as well.

Iowa State always wanted to play them. Iowa officials always didn't want to.

but the truth is Iowa called off the series. Iowa State always wanted the series to continue.

Now, think what the uproar from Iowa fans would be if Iowa State called off the series?

I'm a history major, I can tell you are not. What you have there is not a quote from the Iowa football coach, it is the opinion of an author who is paraphrasing an unnamed source (which could be his crazy uncle Joe for all we know). We don't actually have in front of us a quote from Salem stating that "we want to call off the series with ISU because they are better than us and they kick our butts.", as you seem to claim we do. Your post doesn't have a quote from an Iowa football coach making the claims that you are making. You are drawing conclusions that simply aren't supported by the evidence you provided.

Furthermore, if you'll actually read the quote from the article you provided, it states "Prior to the game", hence the result of the 31-6 loss would have had no effect on Salem's decision not to play the game in the future, and previous to that game Iowa's record was 16-7 against ISU to that point, so that obviously wasn't the reasoning either.

If you want to convince me that it was entirely Iowa who called off the series, you'll have to find more convincing evidence than what you provided. From my understanding, hostilities between BOTH schools athletic departments resulted in the game being stopped until the 70's, and until you can provide a CONCRETE example of why I should believe otherwise you really don't have much ground to stand on with either of your initial claims. Please be more informed before you post.

And to your last point, Iowa fans would not lose any sleep over this series being called off. I enjoy it and hope for it to continue, however, lets not kid ourselves with who benefits more from this series. It is ISU and it's not even close for the reasons below:

1. ISU is guaranteed ONE sellout game a year (or at least highest attendance), whereas it is just another sellout in IC. We could sell out Kinnick with nearly any opponent, ISU can't say the same.

2. ISU gets a schedule upgrade, while the outside world sees Iowa as "scheduling down". Sorry, but until ISU starts to win games more consistently their record hurts Iowa's strength of schedule (simply because it is a locked in game every year that is not the equivalent of say Pitt in 08 or Arizona in 09).

3. Iowa has nothing to gain from the game itself because they are EXPECTED to win every time by everyone in the nation except those who know the rivalry. An ISU win springboards the ISU program forward (in the eyes of its fanbase and outside observers), whereas an Iowa win is only expected, and a loss is humiliating (conversely, an ISU loss is expected and no big deal).

4. Kinnick is larger than Jack Trice, ISU gets more money for playing this game on the road than Iowa gets when it travels to Jack Trice.

I could continue, but I won't because I assume I've made my point.

Again, I'm not one to tear apart a person's post, but making strong claims based on weak (at best) evidence upsets me. Apologies if I offended you, but I just couldn't let that one slide.

Last edited:

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hawkfan- I can appreciate most Hawk points of view on this site for the most part but that is complete and utter bs.

I don't care to nor do I have the time to tear apart your post but that is typical and arrogant hawk garbage.