Too much Kool-Aid for me?

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
Looks like we both have our antagonists, don't we cmhawks? :smile:

Take some friendly advice and leave it be. I did, and I feel a lot better.

Touché'.................... Especially considering I know better and it sometimes comes off wrong and makes me a poor witness.

Chad

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
OK, it is time to right this ship!

Back to the topic at hand. Yes, you are drinking too much kool-aid. I think we COULD win 6 (maybe 7) games this year as I see the schedule as follows:

ND State - W
Iowa - Toss-up - L
@Kent State, W
Army, W
K State, W
@ Kansas, L
Baylor, L
@ Nebraska, L
@ Texas A&M, L
Oklahoma State, L
Colorado, W
Missouri, L

I see 5 or 6 wins, and there isn't a game on that list I would say is Impossible (a.k.a Texas, OU, Texas Tech) but I can't recall the last time ISU actually won all the games they should win in a season so for that reason I am going to sit firmly at 4 wins. I will call the season a success if we get 5 wins or 4 wins and 1 is Iowa. That is my bar, now go out and beat it Cyclones!

I have us winning one more game than you, so we're not that far off. I agree that isn't a game on the list that would be impossible for ISU to win.

Good post.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
You were doing great until you got to here. Absolutely the silliest, most "predictable" thing that ever gets said. The "oh so predicable Iowa that still has the 22nd best winning percentage in the nation since 2001. The, oh so terrible pass D that has Lbers who run faster than OU's graduating Sfty's.

Come on dude…………….I understand some of these Iowa fans are rousting you but seriously. I honestly can’t believe a knowledgeable football fan can even believe that silliness. ISU with their vaunted offensive juggernaut has only scored over 20 points 3 times (21, 23, 24) and 30 once since 1999. I’m not really stepping to far out on the homer branch when I say that is a complete and utter fallacy.

Do you have ANY comprehension of the Big 10 and some of the passing attacks they have had in recent years. Michigan is Quarterback U, the Big 10 has waaaaayyy more NFL quarterbacks than does the Big 12. The Big 10 has had and still does have some very dynamic Offenses. It was a bad year last year. Yes the Big 12 has GREAT O’s right now, but anyone who short changes Iowa’s D in this fashion is truly no better than those who are jerking your chain. Now if you are frustrated and just lashing out I do understand. If you actually belive it you shouldn't!

Chad

Believe what you want. I'm not "frustrated and lashing out". Just because Michigan is QB-U doesn't mean that they have had great passing attacks. Most Big 11 teams are focused on the run and get a lot of passing yards through play action. If their run game is stuffed, play action doesn't work and most of those offenses do not have the passing game (patience) to work the ball down the field. I'll give KF/NP credit for figuring out that conference.

I'm not saying ISU is some offensive juggernaught. I'm saying that they match up well against iowa's defensive scheme. LBs against WRs usually don't work out well. (And just because one LB ran faster than one OU safety doesn't mean that is a usual occurance.) ISU has an actual passing game and more importantly PATIENCE to work the ball down the field. Now, they didn't produce in the red zone, but that's what you have to do against iowa's D...take what they give you. I just don't think tha many Big 11 teams have the patience to do that. How else would a 2-10 team hang with an 8-4 team like that?

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
Believe what you want. I'm not "frustrated and lashing out". Just because Michigan is QB-U doesn't mean that they have had great passing attacks. Most Big 11 teams are focused on the run and get a lot of passing yards through play action. If their run game is stuffed, play action doesn't work and most of those offenses do not have the passing game (patience) to work the ball down the field. I'll give KF/NP credit for figuring out that conference.

I'm not saying ISU is some offensive juggernaught. I'm saying that they match up well against iowa's defensive scheme. LBs against WRs usually don't work out well. (And just because one LB ran faster than one OU safety doesn't mean that is a usual occurance.) ISU has an actual passing game and more importantly PATIENCE to work the ball down the field. Now, they didn't produce in the red zone, but that's what you have to do against iowa's D...take what they give you. I just don't think tha many Big 11 teams have the patience to do that. How else would a 2-10 team hang with an 8-4 team like that?

Holy snikes, you do believe it..................I know I should just let it go, but I'm powerless to resist.

Michigan has historically put as many QB's and WR's in the NFL as anyone. Poor passing attacks indeed. They only had about 10 straight years of 1000 yard receivers.

The Big 10 has had spread teams in the form of PU (15 years, NW (10 plus) IU (several years), Illinois, Ohio State, Minne, and PSU last year.

Really the only traditional Pro-set teams they now have are Iowa, MSU and Wiso (surprise, surprise Wisco and Iowa are 2 of the more consistent programs)

Match up with Iowa's scheme?!?!? You do realize Iowa can play spread teams straight up because they have Lbers who can run right? You also understand Iowa has put 4 Lbers in the NFL since 2005's draft because in the NFL Lbers do have to cover Wr's right??

You also realize both, OU's Sfty's ran in he 4.7's don't you? Mike Humpal ran a 4.68, Greenway a 4.58, Hodge a 4.66 and Miles I don't remember but it was in the 4.6's. Angerer currently is on Iowa's wall of record's at 4.57 and Edds covers WR's better than Sfty's and easily out legged, Bates to the outside last year. Hunter beat out Tarpinian (injured) who is said to be one of the absolute very best athletes on the team and I personally watched Tyler Nielsen run Noel Devine down from behind on a 45 yard run in the Army All-American game.

And this 2-10 thing hanging with 8-4 is rich indeed. 1st you refuse to call Iowa 9-4 witch is a subtlety in and of itself and surely you don’t want me to list the litany of inferior teams that hung with teams with way better records do you? Your telling me that in sports, for whatever reason you can’t think of countless examples of teams who have inexplicably struggled with lesser teams?

For the piece de resistance’ here is the top 50 passing O’s Big 10 X Big 12, since 2005………..

2005 Big 10 had 5 in the top 50 and the Big 12 had 3……..

2006 Big 10 had 7 and the “12” had 6…………

2007 Big 10 had only 3 and the Big 12 had 9………….

2008 Big 10 once again had 3 vs everyone in the Big 12 or there about.

I’m not a cherry picker and it is true that the Big 12 has trended towards passing and the Big 10 had lousy QB’s last year. Where this vaunted ISU passing attack fails is the Clones regularly have a much poorer passing game than several Big 10 teams we face every year.

In 2005 there were 4 better Big 10 teams than ISU, 2006 there 6 at or above, in 2007 ISU was 78th!!! And last year Illinois, PSU and PU were all above. The number one thing to note is……………………….even when we lose to these vaunted ISU and even Big 10 passing attacks they never score more than 20, 22, 27, 28 points etc, etc, etc…………………..

As opposed to say ISU who gives up 40 or 50……………..I don’t know why we struggle with you guys but it isn’t some “magical” passing game that we struggle to defend, to the tune of 5, 15, 17, 23 points a game. If it is I hope we struggle agsint evryone like that.

Now what………………………..

Chad

Last edited:

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Holy snikes, you do believe it..................I know I should just let it go, but I'm powerless to resist.

Michigan has historically put as many QB's and WR's in the NFL as anyone. Poor passing attacks indeed. They only had about 10 straight years of 1000 yard receivers.

The Big 10 has had spread teams in the form of PU (15 years, NW (10 plus) IU (several years), Illinois, Ohio State, Minne, and PSU last year.

Really the only traditional Pro-set teams they now have are Iowa, MSU and Wiso (surprise, surprise Wisco and Iowa are 2 of the more consistent programs)

Match up with Iowa's scheme?!?!? You do realize Iowa can play spread teams straight up because they have Lbers who can run right? You also understand Iowa has put 4 Lbers in the NFL since 2005's draft because in the NFL Lbers do have to cover Wr's right??

You also realize both, OU's Sfty's ran in he 4.7's don't you? Mike Humpal ran a 4.68, Greenway a 4.58, Hodge a 4.66 and Miles I don't remember but it was in the 4.6's. Angerer currently is on Iowa's wall of record's at 4.57 and Edds covers WR's better than Sfty's and easily out legged, Bates to the outside last year. Hunter beat out Tarpinian (injured) who is said to be one of the absolute very best athletes on the team and I personally watched Tyler Nielsen run Noel Devine down from behind on a 45 yard run in the Army All-American game.

And this 2-10 thing hanging with 8-4 is rich indeed. 1st you refuse to call Iowa 9-4 witch is a subtlety in and of itself and surely you don’t want me to list the litany of inferior teams that hung with teams with way better records do you? Your telling me that in sports, for whatever reason you can’t think of countless examples of teams who have inexplicably struggled with lesser teams?

For the piece de resistance’ here is the top 50 passing O’s Big 10 X Big 12, since 2005………..

2005 Big 10 had 5 in the top 50 and the Big 12 had 3……..

2006 Big 10 had 7 and the “12†had 6…………

2007 Big 10 had only 3 and the Big 12 had 9………….

2008 Big 10 once again had 3 vs everyone in the Big 12 or there about.

I’m not a cherry picker and it is true that the Big 12 has trended towards passing and the Big 10 had lousy QB’s last year. Where this vaunted ISU passing attack fails is the Clones regularly have a much poorer passing game than several Big 10 teams we face every year.

In 2005 there were 4 better Big 10 teams than ISU, 2006 there 6 at or above, in 2007 ISU was 78th!!! And last year Illinois, PSU and PU were all above. The number one thing to note is……………………….even when we lose to these vaunted ISU and even Big 10 passing attacks they never score more than 20, 22, 27, 28 points etc, etc, etc…………………..

As opposed to say ISU who gives up 40 or 50……………..I don’t know why we struggle with you guys but it isn’t some “magical†passing game that we struggle to defend, to the tune of 5, 15, 17, 23 points a game. If it is I hope we struggle agsint evryone like that.

Now what………………………..

Chad

cm?? What are you doing? Put the mouse down and step away from the computer. :jimlad::wink:

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I need help, mooorrrreeee..............................c y c l one fanatic........."gasping", I'm sick...............:wideeyed:

Chad

I'm not going to quote your whole diatribe. All I'm saying is that ISU's offense matches up better with iowa's D than most of the Big 11 teams do. Really, MN, PSU, IL lately might be running spread offenses, but they aren't PASSING offenses. More spread option, which isn't the same.

Just like ISU's offense matches up well with iowa's D, iowa's D matches up well with teams like PSU, MSU and Wisconsin...teams that more often than not are more talented overall. And iowa has beaten those teams or hung right with them at least.

Look, I get iowa's D. Disrupt and stuff the run, dont' give up the long pass and tackle well. It's a great strategy and I wish ISU had the players to pull that off. But how you move the ball against that D is short passes taking advantage of mismatches. BTW, if you really think that iowa's LBs can COVER better than an OU safety, then you really are blind. Urlacher ran a 4.5, which is proably faster than either of the Bears' safeties last year. But I know who I would rather have on a WR one on one. There's more to covering than just 40 times...ask Phil Bates.

My point is that ISU has had the patience and ability to use the short pass to move the ball the last two years. They got bogged down in the red zone. I think that they'll move the ball again and score since they'll have an improved running game. But that's up for debate.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I'm not going to quote your whole diatribe. All I'm saying is that ISU's offense matches up better with iowa's D than most of the Big 11 teams do.

Translation: "I'm just going to ignore all those facts you posted and say that you're wrong, and I'm right."

BTW, nice post Chad.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
They got bogged down in the red zone...

I'm so sick of hearing this. ISU did not get "bogged down in the red zone." They ran into one of the best red zone defenses in the nation. Give Iowa's D some credit, it's not like ISU was the only team they held to FGs in the red zone.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
I'm not going to quote your whole diatribe. All I'm saying is that ISU's offense matches up better with iowa's D than most of the Big 11 teams do. Really, MN, PSU, IL lately might be running spread offenses, but they aren't PASSING offenses. More spread option, which isn't the same.

Just like ISU's offense matches up well with iowa's D, iowa's D matches up well with teams like PSU, MSU and Wisconsin...teams that more often than not are more talented overall. And iowa has beaten those teams or hung right with them at least.

Look, I get iowa's D. Disrupt and stuff the run, dont' give up the long pass and tackle well. It's a great strategy and I wish ISU had the players to pull that off. But how you move the ball against that D is short passes taking advantage of mismatches. BTW, if you really think that iowa's LBs can COVER better than an OU safety, then you really are blind. Urlacher ran a 4.5, which is proably faster than either of the Bears' safeties last year. But I know who I would rather have on a WR one on one. There's more to covering than just 40 times...ask Phil Bates.

My point is that ISU has had the patience and ability to use the short pass to move the ball the last two years. They got bogged down in the red zone. I think that they'll move the ball again and score since they'll have an improved running game. But that's up for debate.

Fair enuff and that was reasonable. I don't agree with the above, and in fact Nic Harris is having a terrible time covering WR's in postseason workouts. I would take Edds and Urlacher over many safety’s and please I wont call you blind so you certainly shouldn't me. What you are talking about is Hip swivel, but all the same, in the NFL Lbers cover WR's period. They have to.

You are of course 100% right about Iowa's strategy with the obvious addition (which I know you understand) of putting pressure on the QB.

I guess I take offense because you ISU fans aren’t the only one's that have lamented this in the past. Iowa fans are worse and they are utterly illogical, uninformed football fans. The reason teams struggle in the Red Zone is they run out of room. The reason "spread" teams struggle is NO team can dink and dunk down the field all game long. "IF" you can get pressure, coupled with being brutally tackled play after play it wears on you. In fact in theory that ISN'T what the spread postulates doing. They want to get you in space and make you miss tackles. Iowa when they are themselves (2006 & 2007 the struggled a tick) they don't miss very many tackles.

I will most assuredly agree in comparison, yes Iowa has struggled more with” spread" teams, but so does everyone else between the 20’s. So if Iowa struggles and gives up 3 TD's and a FG I'll take that. So would you. When Iowa has been poor it has been their offense that let them down plain and simple.

Every year, year after year Iowa has a very good D against EVERY kind of offensive team.

Now ironically one might ask if a good "defensive" team like Iowa struggles against the spread why doesn't everyone run it. And it is my opinion, in a close game against a good team that does play good D, if you can't run it in crunch time you can't win. It also "helps" your D!

I personally hate the spread and the team that Iowa really struggles against isn’t a spread “passing team” and it isn’t even the spread option. But rather a team that spreads it out that has an above average passing QB that can run like the wind, ala Troy Smith, Kellen Lewis etc………….

That team eats our lunch and everyone else’s for that matter.

Chad

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron